Next Thread
Print Thread
#123186 10-16-2010 08:33 PM
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Today is Sunday. I'm i Perth, Australia and it is a beautiful sunny 29C degrees. But as i watched my husband drive away with my two year old to the beach i felt so sad and lonely. I want to join them but know that i wont have enough energy to last and i know my husband is trying to give me time to rest by taking my daughter out but somehow i just dont feel grateful for it. I dont know what i want. Most days i'm ok but some days nothing seems to make me happy. I dont even know myself why i'm so sad.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey Minh, I just think its a little impatience that we all have in us. At some point we are bound to get frustrated on how long u have to "rest". I don't think it's about being grateful or not. You have to rest before surgery rest after surgery rest during rads and after meanwhile you want to live your life. I hear your frustrations even though I am not the one diagnosed. I see that same frustration everyday in my sister.
Just letting you know your not alone. She just finished rads on Monday I think it will be better soon.

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

you are normal! However, like many normal survivors of oral cancer you need someone to talk to and maybe some medicinal support. Please go to your GP tomorrow and talk about your feelings. Ask for a referral to someone who can help you talk through your feelings.

It strikes me when reading about the experiences of the people on this site the reactions are not unlike post traumatic stress syndrome. Add to that, you are not yet back to your peak physical well being, it is no suprise you feel the way you do. Equally unsurprising you don't know why you feel so bad. The natural thought might be "she has beaten this disease, she should be on top of the world". However, facing a life threatening event and beating it is almost never simple. Just ask the people who have survived plain crashes or bombings when others have died. It is common and natural to feel immediate relief followed by feelings of guilt and depression. This series of feelings has been documented as an actual condition (the name I forget for the moment but may be "survivors syndrome") in the same way the process of grieving is complex and involves many different stages.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members