Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197467 10-22-2018 09:01 AM
OP Offline

I am so sorry I am new here and don't know where I should write my question. I am getting Chemo once a week and radiation every day for 6 weeks.
I have been told that they need to do blood work one day and the Chemo the next day ??? is that right? I thought they can do all in one day.
Also what are the most important things to look for in her blood work? we are going today ( last week was first Chemo) for follow up blood work and then tomorrow Chemo.
any advice is appreciated.

The floor of the mouth tumor
Surgery 9/5/18 Selective Neck dissection with Flap replacement
SCC, moderately differentiated
T2 N3B based on biopsy and pathology
21 nodes removed 4 were cancerous 1 of the 4 had expanded outside of the Lymph sack into nerves
Chemo and rads started 10/16/2018 carboplatin/Taxotere once a week and radiation 5x a week. all for 6 weeks.

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Bebefrida. Best wishes with your treatments.
I think it's always best to start a new thread if you are not answering someone's concerns directly. I am thinking the forum "Currently In Treatment", would have been fitting.
But to answer your question, each case is unique, so there could be a reason why they need 24 hours to analyze your blood work.
In my case, going into chemo day, they drew my blood immediately, and then immediately started IV hydration. The hydration was to help protect my kidneys from the Cisplatin.
My results would come back after about 2 hours, and if acceptable, all the other drugs and then chemo were started.
I think the main thing they needed from the blood work, was the indicator that showed kidney function.
So I am just guessing, but it could be a few things as to why they wait until the next day in your case.
Do they have a lab that can turn around the blood work in 2 hours? Do they have enough chemo stations to occupy one for 2 hours of hydration, if it turns out that you are not ready to get the chemo that day?
Maybe, there is some unique condition, that didn't apply in my treatment.
Best advice, ask your Nurse or Oncologist why you have to wait until the next day, so you know the exact reason for your situation.
All the best!

Last edited by CM57; 10-22-2018 10:06 AM. Reason: Correct missing part of sentence.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Bebefrida, it may depend on the location you're at, and it be a policy thing. They did my bloodwork on the same day I had chemo ... but I also had radiation five days a week, so I had a lot of stuff going on each day. I guess they could have had me come in on a different day to do the bloodwork, as it was all the same building, but it seemed to be easier for them to just do it all at once. It was certainly easier for me. I think they were checking white blood cell counts (though I can't recall for sure) and other things. Honestly, it's all vague right now. It's okay to ask your doctor(s) these questions, and they should give you a copy of the results each time ... if they don't, ask for one. (Then you can always ask more questions on the days you feel better.)

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June
2017: probable trigeminal neuralgia
Fall 2017: HBOT
Jan 18: oral surgery
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

At our hospital, the blood test is on the same day as the chemo. They look for, in particular, the level of creatinine (kidney function) and neutrophils (white blood cells).

The doctors will withhold the chemo if the neutrophils or creatinine are too low.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF! You've found yourself a great resource to help you get thru your treatments and recovery for oral cancer. Since this is your first post, Ive moved your post to the Introduce Yourself section. Ive also sent you a private message (PM) with an important link that will help you to quickly learn how best to navigate our online forum. Look for the tiny flashing envelope next to your My Stuff tab and click on it to get your PMs. Please take a few minutes to review the info in the link. Im sure your will find it helpful and in no time you will be posting like a pro smile

Regarding your blood questions, the best thing you can do is to have a chat with the doc about the most important things to watch for on the blood tests. Your nurses can also be a very helpful in explaining different things as well. OCF's online forum is made up of OC survivors and caregivers who do not have a medical professionals background. We've picked up what we know about OC and treatments by going thru it ourselves so unfortunately we sometimes may not have all the answers for in-depth explanations. When I was going thru oral cancer (OC) the first time, I paid attention to my white counts. The white count is what shows how you are doing with your immunity and ability to fight off colds, flus, etc. The lower white counts can take years to go back to the usual counts so patients need to take extra precautions to avoid anyone who is sick, crowded places which includes schools and children (little germ monsters). Frequent hand washing and using hand sanitizer helps, a mask may also be necessary to avoid airborne bugs that could be picked up causing a dangerous illness in someone who has a compromised immune system.

Your intake is something very important!!! Intake is what helps patients to get thru everything as easily as possible. Make sure every single day to take in at least 48-64 oz of water, especially the day before, of and after getting chemo. You need to help flush that poison out of your system! I know extra fluids are given right with the chemo but its not that much extra, so help yourself by drinking and watching how much you take in. When going thru OC treatments, its very important to focus on your intake. Even if eating becomes more of a chore than it is enjoyable, every single day OC patients need at the very least 2500 calories a day. If you can take more in even 3000 or 3500 daily calories are not too much. If you begin to lose weight, even a pound or 2 thats a sign your intake isnt what it needs to be. At that time, patients must immediately increase their intake or they'll begin to struggle.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy