Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#196179 04-18-2018 08:19 PM
CM57 Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

After a false start yesterday, I finally got to start my SCC treatments, since my two recent surgeries had not found my primary cancer.
Yesterday, I was in the infusion chair, had my IV inserted, blood tests taken, but the doctors decided not to go ahead with the chemo because my rads insurance was still pending with no definitive ETA. But later in the day, the rads approval came through. It turned out to be OK we delayed, for a number of reasons which I won't go into detail here, but bottom line, I think I was much more ready to start today.
So I will be getting my Cisplatin on a once a week basis, per my inquiry to the Oncologist, and he approved that.
So I started 9:50am, got a steroid, 2 anti-nausea drugs, saline drip, Cisplatin, and lastly, a big saline bag. Finished about 2:55pm. No problems, I felt very good. They had offered me a sandwich during the infusion, which I ate around 11:30am, and had some apple juice with it.
The radiation followed the infusion, about 3:30pm, it's right across the lobby at my hospital.
My rads mask goes almost down to my shoulders, to cover my cervical lymph node biopsy incision. The mask is locked down so tight, I can barely swallow saliva.
This first treatment, involved a scan to check that all looks OK, with a short pause, for the Oncologist to approve the continuation with the actual radiation. But no removal of the very tight mask in between. So I go back in the tube, and I could tell the radiation started, because I saw strobe like lights go side to side, kind of lower then my eyeline. I couldn't open my eyelids easily to see if these were actual lights, but apparently it was some optic nerve reaction that some rads patients experience. I was tired from a long day, so I didn't discuss that with the rads technologist, but I will tomorrow.
I received some Aquaphor cream, and some SalivaMAX powder from the nurse, and called it a day.
I felt it was a very good start, I was happy to know the primary is finally getting treated, and if there was any residual SCC in the lymph incision.
One day of chemo and rads to cross off the calendar! Yea!

Last edited by CM57; 04-18-2018 08:24 PM. Reason: infusion spelling correction

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin

I don’t know if it was mentioned to you, but I would suggest bringing the Aquaphor with you to the hospital for your radiation sessions. Don’t put any on before the radiation, but put it on the radiated skin as soon as you come out of treatment. It should be done for every session. It helps the skin stay supple. Just don’t put it on before you undergo rads — think eggs frying in butter.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
CM57 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks gmcraft. The nurse advised me yesterday, not to apply 4 hours less before rads. After applying it last night, I see what you mean on eggs frying in butter, that is some thick stuff.
I'm fortunate with my commute to the hospital, only 4 miles away. So I'll apply as soon as I get home, so I don't lube up my steering wheel with my greasy hands!
I'm just in the waiting area now, for my second treatment.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

CM57,

I’m sorry I forgot to mention this. When you put cream on your neck after radiation, make sure you pay special attention to the folds in the skin. I was only told this by the RO at my husband’s second last treatment session. The RO said there would be skin breakdown “especially where there are folds in the skin” (like the lines that are formed where we bend our necks). That was after I spent 6 weeks giving John saline soaks and making sure the sores did get too bad. I felt kind of let down.

Last edited by gmcraft; 04-20-2018 09:27 AM. Reason: Typos.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I'd like to add one more thing about using lotion. Never rub it in, only very gently pat it on. Only a thin layer is needed. I used to pat it on several times during the day (of course never prior to going into rads). I carried it with me to my rad appointments and would pat it on in the car on the way home. Immediately after showering is another time I always would reapply the lotion. I was given prescription beta-val cream. There are so many options by prescription and without. If you would develop any sores from radiation burning your skin, continue to very gently pat the ointment onto your neck and cover it with a square of gauze to help keep the open sores from getting any gunk or lotion on your clothes. My neck did get pretty beat up even though I was diligent in applying the ointment. I was shocked when it all healed and no scars were visible.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
CM57 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the updated tips.

Chest xray clean.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics