Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jenka

I had to smile after reading you post. I can't remember if I put it in one of my early rants here at OCF or if it was a pre-OCF email update to friends but my version was:
"If one more person comes up to me in the hallway and says : oh, you'll do fine, you are such a fighter and so tough, I may just cold cock them with a right cross, knocking them down and asking: Tough enough for you?"
While it is not helpful to wallow in a self pity party, I have been posting more and more about what I term the "tyranny of positive thinking". From where I sit, it's just a sophistry of blame the victim. There needs to be a balance. My cancer did not come back because I harbored "negative energy", it came back because I won the genetic lottery for a radiation and chemo resistant variant. Like the country western song goes by Sugarland explains:

[quote] Now it's poor me, why me, oh me, boring
The same old worn out, blah, blah story
There's no good explanation for it at all

Chorus:
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning
Ain't no need to over-think it
Let go, laughing
Life don't go quite like you planned it
We try so hard to understand it
The irrefutable, indisputable fact is
It happens[/quote]

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Dana,

Well I was certainly not speaking to anyone on this site especially one that hadn't even posted on this topic so please don't assume what I may post is personal unless I write it that way. Oh and BTW my experience comes from owning restaurants in Florida and dealing with servers, bartenders, cooks, chefs, dishwashers, bussers, hostesses, preps, etc since 1990 and being the CPA to 100's of clients that also own bars and restaurants. It was meant to be a funny response to Jim's post but a sad reality is it's true for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I love all my employees (except the ones that steal from me) and treat most of them as if the're my kids.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I am still fighting this lousy stuff too and have been thru more then most 2 people combined, but you know what I am still very positive even with the pain I am having right nor from my jaw where the bone has come thru. a serious thraot infection ans waiting on an aneurysm repair on the lower end where thay couldn't fix it in Jan because it could have killed me, But I am still positive and upbeat, Why be sad when it's so much easier too make others smile. I think I have a problem or 2 but!!!!

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Forgot about the pain in my esophagus from having 1/3 of my stomache wrapped around it and still have Barrett's. That is precancerous esophagus. Live on pills and mylanta for that too.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I love this topic..thank you Sara. The thing is...we are going to have both. We are going to be angry, which is natural and important. On the other hand, life is too short to be pissed off all the time. We know being mad is not going to help anything. And yes, I get sick and tired of people saying "you will be fine" "just think positivve" but when I'm alone with my thoughts I am grateful for my life. Yes, it's been harder than I would like, but I appreciate my life more than other people my age.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)

Charm, As usual it's funny how much we think alike. I still tell new cancer patients that the only thing they can control is their attitude and nutrition...the rest is up to how their body is going to respond to treatment and their team of dr.'s. Where I don't believe that a good attitude helps the outcome of treatment or recurrance it does help those around you cope with the situation. In a way, you have to be strong for the people you love. That's my take on it and definetly not the rule or worth anything then what it is..

David, I've been in hospitality most of my adult career. I managed a national award winning hotel (for customer service, quality assurance, guest satisfaction) while managing two other hotels and consulting on a third. I totally agree on your point and in no way took offense. Finding an employee that gave a sh!t was a difficult thing.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Well as they say . to each his own and this atitude has helped me overlook other things that come up on our menu. My smile will stay on thos ugly face for as long as I stay on this earth.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users