Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
deni Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Bob had his surgery Thursday! We are thrilled as once they started they changed they found less dead bone than they expected?? and only did a small mandible resection and extracted two teeth and did the neck dissection. NO FLAP !! and are going to treat what is infected with aggressive antibiotic therapy. No reoccurrence! We feel like he dodged one heck of a bullet this time and feel blessed!! But he has had a lot of secretions and has required suction every hour since post op Thursday. Did anyone have experience with this how long did this last at this level and frequency?? It is making him miserable to be suctioned so often

thanks
Denise

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Denise

I know Bob may not feel good about it at the moment but that sure was a much better outcome than what was first reported to be prepared for - and also the loss of 2 teeth and no flap. What a huge relief for you both.

My experience with the secretions was also very full on - it lasted for probably between about 8 - 10 days for me following both of my operations. The surgery where my jaw bone was reconstructed due to ORN was larger than Bob's (equivalent to about 10 teeth) so hopefully he will get through it much much quicker than I did.

One minute it is full on with the need to suction and then the need for the suctioning seems to subside really fast. Even though at the time it certainly didn't feel like it was fast - I know how miserable it is. On a brighter note - it is temporary.

Best wishes to you both

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
deni Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh Karen thanks for responding !! They prepared us well for everything except this and it has been scaring me senseless as he is having issues with his sats and well you know! They keep saying a few days and it should improve but I did not imagine 8 to 10. I can wrap my head around that and get him to too I think it will take some of the edge off. I also think they took more than two teeth and so did his nurse it is hard to tell, that is what his Dr said when he called me during surgery but it seems to be closer to five all the lower front teeth on the surgical side looks more likely. We feel like the no flap decision was a miracle!! and are very greatful for this chance, He seems to be healing otherwise and prayers have been sent and fingers crossed!

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics