Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

The St Petersburg Times is doing an article on me, oral cancer and HPV. As far as I know I will be the only patient featured in the article and I am set for the interview this Friday. I have told them that my HPV tests results are not finished but they still want to do the article. One of my clients forwarded my 2 client letters to the newspaper and they called me and one thing led to another. I tried to get this postponed until after tax season but I didn't press the issue because getting the word out about oral cancer is more important.

Since I just agreed to the interview yesterday I don't see much opportunity to read as much as I would want to so Brian, Gary and all you other knowledgeable people please post as many one liners as you can so I can try to get them in the article.

The St Petersburg Times is the most widely circulated newspaper in the Tampa, St Pete metro area.

Help me.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I understand that those of us that are HPV+ (my test is still outstanding) will be having fewer neck disections. I'm too late, but I also understand that the long term prognosis is better for HPV+ and I'm not too late for that news.

Rob J

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.

Wow! That is so cool!! What a great opportunity to get the word out. You have helped so many of us with your experience and helpful information. I just know you will do terrific. The St. Petersburg TImes has a web site and surely they will put the article on line so we can all write letters to the editor and say what a great job you did. Thank you so much for all that you do for us.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Contributing Member (25+ posts)

How wonderful, David! My suggestion is how important oral check-ups are with a dentist/physician/self - anything curious...do not wait...once most of these ugly tumors show up the cancer is pretty advanced.....and that oral cancer is on the increase...and most importantly www.oralcancerfoundation.org!!
-------------
Martha
CG to husband (age 56, HPV+)04/06- SCC Stage IV, left tonsil, 2 lymph nodes, 35XIMRT, 35X cisplatin/tarceva,neck dissection 11/06

MARTY-Caregiver to husband (non-smoker/non-drinker)Dx 04/06 SCC Stage IV left tonsil-3 lymph nodes,HPV+,Tx 35xIMRT,35xcisplatin/tarceva,neck dissection 11/06, beginning HPV vaccine JHopkins 04/07.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I have a similar opportunity...and have been waiting until I can gather my thoughts a bit more...so I am glad to see this topic, though, of course there are many posts by Brian and Jerry, etc., that we can access.

I have been asked by friends and family, "What does this mean for the rest of us? What should we be doing?" Of course, all should have regular dental visits. One would presume that your dentist is doing a thorough oral exam and is trained to recognize problems. Not so with mine! He did NOT recognize this lesion and allowed it to remain in my mouth for far too long, costing me precious treatment time and requiring a more extensive surgery than if it had been caught earlier. So one piece of advice is to CHOOSE your dentist wisely. ASK if they do a cancer screening every time they see you. ASK if they have a Velscope device for screening, or if they are equipped and trained to do a brush cytology test of suspicious areas. If they don't seem well versed in this area, find someone else. I now go to a periodontist, who I feel gives me a better exam.

Also, I tell them that if they have ANY problem area that doesn't greatly improve within two weeks, they need to get it checked out. AND I tell them to insist on having a return appointment with the dental professional after that, to be sure that it has, indeed, improved after treatment. Many of these lesions are not painful and might be forgotten by the patient.

I tell them also that a lesion that has not healed after the above process should be biopsied to ascertain what is going on. Waiting any longer is only asking for trouble.

I tell them that if they do get a cancer diagnosis, to go first to a CCC for a full diagnosis and treatment plan by a team experienced in treating these difficult and dastardly tumors, and then to make haste to the OCF website to gain as much information and support as they can.

I tell them that if they smoke, they simply MUST stop, for a million reasons, and that if they smoke AND drink heavily, they are asking for trouble.

AND I tell them to get a small, bright flashlight and a couple of mirrors...one, like a shaving mirror, that can sit on a table, and a small one that will go into their mouth..like a purse-sized make-up mirror...and give themselves a visual exam often.

These are ALL things that a person can do for him/herself, and they cost absolutely nothing above the cost of the dental appointment.

One disadvantage to oral cancer is that there is very little publicity about it, so that the public doesn't know what to look for and how to respond. One advantage to oral cancer is that the mouth is accessible to us....we can look inside, and we can feel inside, and if we know a bit about what to look for, we can save our own lives!

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Outstanding, David!!!
I'll e-mail you to get a fax number returned to me at work. I've got a great presentation with me by Gabe Calzada, M.D. titled:
Oropharyngeal Carcinoma: Younger Patients and Less Smoking.
Presented 05-11-2006
The HPV connection is presented and there are plenty of one liner sentences that you may find useful.

Ginny, spouse of MikeG. SSC BOT T2N1M0 Stage III, Dx 06/27/06 at age 52, Tx 07/31/06 through 09/28/06 Chemo Cisplatin & 5FU x2, Radiation x42. Cancer free and doing well.

The one thing I would point out is oral cancer is being seen in patients who neither smoke or drink at a rather young age because of the HPV factor. Many of these people go undiagnosed because of age. NEVER ignore any symptoms in the head and neck region that do not go away in a couple of weeks. Then make an appointment at a major CCC center or see an ENT that has an oncology specialty to determine what it is.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

And if the first opinion doesn't resolve it to your satisfaction, get a second and a third if needed.

Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

David,

Sounds great and I'm sure you will do well.

I suggest that your contact GailMac as she is our resident HPV authority.

This is her email address [email protected]

Good luck and I can't wait to read it. Please list the link when it is available.

Jerry.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
len Offline

David - Here's looking at you which I can probably do from my unit at Bacopa Bay across the bay from you in Gulfport. I'm a Snowbird from Philadelphia back to enjoying life again, playing poor golf, and trying to keep out of my wife's way! Good luck on the interview and I'll be watching the paper. Len

SCC base of tongue,T1N1M0, Rad & Chemo, treatment ended 12/11/2003
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users