Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Gary #97769 06-20-2009 05:47 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

ari, get GNC Weight Gainer 1850 if you really want to jump start.. 1850 calories per serving. You mix it yourself and rite aid ahd it on sale for 75% off.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
davidcpa #97903 06-22-2009 04:29 PM
ari Offline

You have a good point, David. There should be some kind of healthcare study focused on HPV and OC cancer onset. In other words, a major study should pay for HPV testing of people who fit the profile but are only "suspected". By statistically sampling the "suspected" pool, a mathematical model could be developed to predict HPV involvement across the entire population of OC patients for whom other risk factors don't seem to apply. This study would reveal the full extent (such as it may be) of HPV in OC oncogenesis.

To advocate for (i.e., cost-justify) such a study, a substantial public health benefit would have to be clearly delineated. I don't think feeling good about one's treatment would be sufficient. (And I don't mean to belittle that benefit, it has lifted my spirits as it did yours. I just don't think it alone is sufficient in a cold-eyed cost/benefit analysis.)

Could knowledge of broad HPV involvement (our hypothesis) be used to reduce the incidence of oral cancer, and thus public health costs? Possibly. It would depend on a public education campaign aimed at younger, sexually active adults, and other policy choices.

What would be the desired behavior changes? (1) Reduce oral-genital contact. (But what a loss of pleasure!) (2) Have partner tested for HPV before having oral sex. (Not very spontaneous.) (3) More aggressive testing and treatment of HPV among all women.

Age 61, stg IV SCC (tonsillar, invasive at back of tongue, spread to neck lymph nodes); Dx Nov. 2008, nonsmoker since 1974, very light drinker, no other health issues; no surgery, no PEG, 4 cycles chemo (TPF), then weekly chemo + 7 weeks radiation (2 per day) incl IMRT = 70 doses total, done 6/4/09
ari #97956 06-23-2009 06:38 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

The focus has to be first with the Gardasil vaccination of BOTH pre sexually active males and females. This must be made a part of all school entry requirements just like Hep C and then the focus should migrate towards the studies currently being done to boost the immune systems' response to the current HPV+ population.

If Gardasil's effective prevention rate is accurate and society will accept HPV as an adversary then we can eliminate the oncogenic strains of HPV currently known in a few decades.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #97996 06-23-2009 06:57 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

While we can reduce gradually the reservoir of the virus in the population, complete eradication after vaccination programs will be on a time line that should be looked at by a generation, not by decades. Use polio as the example.....

For those really interested in all this I recommend that you read Polio, and American story, by David Oshinsky. (Please buy it through the OCF Amazon link and save money while helping OCF) This will give you a really good perspective on how vaccines are developed, the governmental issues associated with mass application of them, the side effects and adverse events, and ultimately the defeat of a killer disease over generations.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users