Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#97711 06-19-2009 09:16 PM
Pat_451 Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I have found myself getting out of sorts over the past few days. I am not sure if I am anticpating that treatment is over soon or if I am just wore out. I can't put a finger on it. My husband has been extremely irritiable as well. I know that he has a lot of pain and is try to deal with. He has to use his peg tube now because he can't swallow food. He is still swallowing water and encouraging him to do his mouth exercies.
Sometimes i just feel really upset mad not sure what about but just not the way I usually act. I don't want to be that way. I want to be as supportive as possible. I feel that I do more damage when I am out of sorts.
Do any others on here get that way?
My mom is here with us and that does help, she helps with my laundry and dishes and cooking for her and me.
I take Rex daily to radiation and then go to back to work and work my 8 hours. Our drive is 45 minutes each way. Thursday we will be done with treatment and that may help.
I am scared when we no longer go to treament becauase I won't see the dr.s daily.
I think I am a little confused right now and I don't know what to expect next. I am scared and full of fear.
Pat

Crgvr to Husband 55-yrs, surgery to remove cyst-diagnosed as SCC, 4/3/09 CT & Pet Scan showed more cancer in left lymph node and primary at the base of the tongue.TX Radiation 7 weeks 5 days a week last day is 6/25/09
Chemo completed 6/19/09
Peg Tube 5/22/09

Pat,
You have every right to be "out of sorts". Seriously, you've earned it. Your lives have been turned upside down, shaken, and thrown about. You didn't ask for this, and you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. I felt better when I finally learned to allow myself to have bad days. I realized that those feelings are part of the deal, and that they won't last forever. It's good that your Mom is there to help. Moms are good. Remember that you've earned the right to not have to be a superhero every single day. For me, things became a lot easier when I gave myself permission to just give in to it now and then. And, Rex and your Mom probably understand more than you know. Hang in there, Pat.

Dana, Male, Age 52, DX 11/08
SCC right tonsil, Stage 3. RND, tonsilectomy, and PEG install done collectively 12/26/08, Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Post-TX PET clear 9/09, PEG removed 9/09, PEG stoma surgical repair 9/17/09. Dx renal cell carcinoma 11/09. Partial nephrectomy 01/10.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Being a caregiver ,while also being scared out of your mind about the future and well being of your husband and your family and life is hard. 101 things you have to do in every day life and also the 1001 new things that have to be done during tx,leaves you exhausted and mentally drained.you wouldn't be human if you didn't feel tetchy and waspish on occasions,and the burdens you now have to shoulder while your man just tries to stay upright and functioning are a heavy weight to carry.

dont be despondant this is all perfectly natural and may even get worse for a while but come here and share your feelings with those of us who have been there and got the tee shirt.it does help pat.

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Pat
Gosh your post put me right there in my mind and it has been almost five years ago. You are pretty "normal" for where you are in this journey so do not be discouraged. " My friend called it hitting the wall" and I hit it hard several times during Bobs treatment and recovery.
You should take that extra time that won;t be used on driving to treatment for a little minute/minutes of Pat time. Take a walk, go to a coffee shop before work and just sit and relax..take a Pat break and give yourself a minute to think..

You are right to be concerned about the week/weeks immediately following the end of rads treatment. Not because you won;t be seeing the Drs but because they are sometimes the hardest as the effects of the radiation seem to really have an impact. Bob said it was the worst time of the whole ordeal. He pretty much slept the whole first week. It was the worst time he had for mucous and breathing etc...He had worked up until the last week of rads but then was down for the count for about two/three weeks.

SO be kind to yourself SHARE your feelings and questions here!! Everything Liz said is dead on!!

and the good news after those "bad" few weeks following treatment I started to see my husband come back..very slowly but surely he started to improve everyday. As he felt better his determination to eat and drink and do what he needed to be doing came back!! As he did he got stronger, as he felt stronger his attitude and irritablity improved.

There are brighter days ahead but in the meantime feel however you feel no guilt, do a little thing just for you no guilt and lean on the folks here ... no matter what you are feeling someone else has been there and done that YOU are not alone.
Peace
Denise

Last edited by deni; 06-20-2009 06:42 AM.

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Pat, very soon this will all be over. As the caregiver your job is very difficult. You must not only take care of the patient but try to be positive as well. I dont know how you have managed to work full time thru this. You are a very strong person, be proud of your accomplishments.

Try to take some time for just you. Even 10 minutes a day to just catch your breath away from all your pressures and responsibilities.

Very soon will be the time for rest. When treatments are first finished your husband will rest alot. I stayed in bed about 22 out of 24 hrs per day. I only got up right before my kids got home so they wouldnt be worried that I didnt get out of bed. I went from bed to couch then after spending a little time with them I was right back to bed. Your husband is so lucky to have a caregiver, I didnt have one and dont know how I got thru it.

Hang in there the end of this whole thing is coming up very quickly. Remember, all the doctors are just a phone call away. Since your husband has the peg tube, your hospital might have a visiting nurse. I am also 45 minutes away from where I was treated and I had a nurse come once or twice per week to check on me. It was only for a couple weeks, but it was very reassuring. Ask at the treatment center if thats available. It would give you a hand.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Christine, you hit the nail on the head. Caregivers have to make sure they're taking care of their own needs! As they say on the plane, "Put on your own oxygen mask before assisting others."

Pat,

You're doing great and the end is in sight! But please do take time for yourself, every day. Even if its just a short walk, or a 5 minutes of meditation, or whatever suits you. It is so important.

- Margaret

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018
Pat_451 Offline OP
OP Offline

I want to thank everyone here for replying. It comes to a point where I get lost and confused. I just need some reassurance that I am really ok.
Once again thanks so much...
Pat

Crgvr to Husband 55-yrs, surgery to remove cyst-diagnosed as SCC, 4/3/09 CT & Pet Scan showed more cancer in left lymph node and primary at the base of the tongue.TX Radiation 7 weeks 5 days a week last day is 6/25/09
Chemo completed 6/19/09
Peg Tube 5/22/09

Oh Pat
How could someone not feel lost and confused. This fight is not a natural thing that anyone is ever prepared to deal with..since we can not prepare all we can hope for is the strength to keep stumbling on through trying to do our best...
YOU ARE SO OK!!

Caregiver Husband Bob SCC tongue t2nomo Partial Glosectomy/neck disection 6/04 rad ending 9/23/04
Osteoradio-necrosis of the Mandible (ONJ) DX 6/09 Surgery 7/2/09 mandible resection/ several teeth extracted/ neck dissection NO FLAP and aggressive antibiotic therapy.

Pat,
you really are ok. What you are feeling is normal and expected. I would be more concerned if you didn't feel this way. As others have already said, you must take care of yourself as this will be the hardest time of all. The month or 2 post Tx is very hard. The effects from radiation keep on building and healing is very slow. His pain meds may put him on the edge so he might even be delusional or abusive. Make sure that you utilize family and your support network to help you through this. Respite care for you is a very good thing. A caregivers support group could benefit you as well.

Last edited by Gary; 06-28-2009 07:53 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Pat_451 Offline OP
OP Offline

I want to thank everyone that responsed to my message. I have not been on because things have been a bit overwelming. I am so glad that I came to this site. In mind after the treatment everything should go back to the way it was and he should be fine. WRONG He is worse that he was. The burns on his neck look bad, but we continue to soak and medicate them. This morning he had a low grade fever but this evening it was gone. Thank God.
I am glad that you are all here
Pat

Chemo completed 6/19/09
Peg Tube 5/22/09
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

If it wasn't for this forum i think thats a mistake a lot of us would make pat.The month post tx is undoubtedly the worst.

you will get through this .

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Please understand that for the vast majority of us, the 3 to 4 weeks POST Tx are by far the worst, then one day he will wake up and just know something is different and that he feels just a tad better than the last day and that's what I call finally walking out of that tunnel he's been in for so long. Also remember that even after that he will experience bad days and then some good days but slowly the good days will outnumber the bad days until the bad days finally go away for good.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

It really took a long a time for Bob to get used to his new normal and "lighten up" even after he was physically in good shape. I kept expecting this "I have to embrace life and smell the roses " attitude since he had fought so hard and was cancer free. It was more than a year after treatment before he shook the post treatment blues, they were not severe and did not require medication but subtley he was definitely a little down. I was at first very confused by this until I read of so many others having the same experience here. It helped me be patient but it truly was a little frustrating to say the least.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

It's hard to imagine what one feels like experiencing cancer but I know even what used to be a simple sore throat post Tx brought on horrible recurrence thoughts. Anything that felt different in my throat brought back the fears of cancer but as they say, time heals.... so now when I have a sore throat I just think it's a cold (well mostly, lol).

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics