Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#955 04-01-2003 05:36 AM
OP Offline

Justin is doing great-working full time. He finished his chemo and radiation in January. He is continuing to lose weight, even now. His salivary glands were "cooked". Because he doesn't produce saliva, he drinks gallons of water every day. I am wondering, do you get your saliva ability back? Has anyone experienced this, and do you have saliva now?

#956 04-01-2003 08:15 AM

Hello Justins Mom,
What kind of cancer did Justin have??? I had Right lympnoid cancer with my right tonsil as a primary source. I had 35 rad treatments,to my neck and lower mouth area so I lost my saliva and taste buds.But may doctor said that my left side of my jaw was not radiated as mush as my right ,which meant my saliva would be coming back soon. I was told roughly 4 months for my taste buds to return and up to a year for saliva.Well 2 weeks ago I was driving down the road and all of a sudden I was noticing enough liqid in my mouth to spit(excuse my term) but it meant alot to me.I was ahead of schedule. I was so happy I was telling everyone!!. It had been over 3 months that my mouth had not created any moisture. So my doctor was right. I am still dry and carry a bottle but I tell you any moisture is welcomed.It is enough moisture to help me eat alittle easier and sleep better at night.I still wake up with dry mouth but not as bad. So to answer your question about saliva it depends on where and how heavy you were dosed. In my case I was very lucky.....
hope this is some help...this is a great web site for info and I am glad I have found it. I wish I would have known about it when I was going through treatment because I had a milion questions...good luck

John Moran Diagnosed Sept.12,02
S.C.C. Stage 4,Right Tonsil Cancer
Survivor
#957 04-01-2003 09:01 AM
OP Offline

Justin had soft tissue sarcoma starting in his tonsil and continued down the lymph nodes that wrapped around a muscle from the neck to the shoulder.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23