Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

introduce myself,
My name is Glenn. Vicki and I have lived together for almost 9 years.She is the love i have looked for all my life, a friend, a person i can count on for anything. A fishing partner, long walks, camping, parties, a person i can talk to and say what i feel, likes and dislikes.I just cant say enough. She has gone through so much already and last week she went back to the hospital for alot of pain that has been none stop in her jaw. They took a cat scan n a biopsy. Doctor came in friday sat down and came rite out with THE CANCER IS BACK. Are hearts dropped to are toes and now we are faced with a hole new set of what to do. Vicki went through induction chemotherapy in May n April 2008. Had surgery to remove part of the jaw n floor of mouth ( 18 1/2hr ) on June 10,2008. Went to dentist and had the rest of her bottom teeth removed in Sept. and then had 6 weeks of IMRT Oct.13 thru 11/20/2008. We were told the cancer is in the bone marrow n she is starting to have cancer blisters forming on her chin.
Now they say the only treatment is to remove all they did in June and remove and rebuild the rest of the jaw and floor of mouth. We go for another PET to see exactly where the cancer has gone. TO end I just want to add my prayers to all and ask for many prayers for Vicki to get through this....DAM CANCER I WANT MY VICKI BACK...

stage IV-B
SCC floor of the mouth. 6 rounds chemotherapy May 2008
resection of floor of mouth with parcel jaw removal.
Bilateral neck dissection and free flap reconstruction June 10, 2008
IMRT Oct.-Nov
PEG
SCC return 4/09 just found out
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Glenn,
I'm so sorry to hear about Vicki's troubles. You will find much wisdom here. Many have gone through or are going through a recurrence also. My husband is on cancer #4. Twice it has come back within 2 months of major salvage surgery. If you are not going to a Comprehensive Cancer Center, you should. At least for a second opinion. My husband is now on palliative Erbitux as further surgery or radiation is not a possibility. I hope that Vicki will have a better option. Best of luck to you and tell Vicki to hang in there. I know how hard it is.
Lori

Lori, cg to H Ron, age 56.
Stage IV Oral SCC-T1N2. Tongue resected and right ND 8/05. Teeth removed, PORT, PEG, IMRT x33, Cisplatin x3. Tx ended 10/05.
Recurrence 7/08 Stage IV. Surgery 8/30/08.
2nd recur. 11/08. 2nd surgery 2/2/09.
3rd recur. 4/9/09. Erbitux wkly. 5/09-?
Ron died 6/6/09.
Lori also passed away 8/20/11, colon cancer
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Glenn -
We hope that Vicki gets the treatment that will bring her to a new normal so you can once again enjoy the post-cancer life you both deserve. Prayers will be for Vicki's recovery from this most horrid of diseases. Warmly, JaneP

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Glenn,

Sorry as hell and I wish I could wave a magic wand and your Vickie would be back but I sure hope everything comes out fine this time.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sorry to hear of the recurrance. It is something we all dread. We go through hell the first time, then get to do it all over again. You have to wonder sometimes!

On the plus side, they DO HAVE a treatment plan. That is great news and you are now in the position of moving forward-you do what you have to do. Just tell Vickie to keep her eyes closed that way she can get through anything!

Strength is something you acquire one day at a time, one step at a time.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

Glenn, take the best care you possibly can of her. You 2 need each other more than than ever. I somehow screwed up and lost the one that I considedred the only woman I have ever loved . This after 5 years and it still hurts after her being gone for 1 1/2 yrs. Cancver does funny things to your mind., Just ask me but I have no ideas about a lot of things I guess I did.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

I just read your post again glenn. You phrased that very well. I know exzctly where you are coming from. We used to b e that way and it got to be where we didn't need words just feelings and looks at one another. I loved to hear her sing as we were riding or kiss me between doors at a restaurant. She was my queen and all woman.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.

So sorry to hear about your Vicki. I know you want to do something to take the pain and problems away, but.....
Care giver to my husband - left jawbone removal, neck dissection, removed 57 lymph nodes in March 2003. Jaw reconstructed from leg bone. Has had continuous pain for 6 years,pain level 8 on a scale of 10 even though he is on fentynal patches, morphine, vicodin. Three pain clincs, 2 attempts to kill the damaged nerve all to no avail. Swollen cheek all the time, pain level over the top - he is also the love of my life and I cannot take the pain away. God Bless

Glenn , I think one of the more important things you can do for Vicki is to be upfront and truthful with her. I heard so many different stories and tales, I was left hurting and bitter. You sure have a keeper there so hold her tight and smile with her.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Glenn

Im so sorry to hear of Vicki's recurrance. Sounds like you make a wonderful couple. She is very lucky to have you by her side thru this. Poor Vicki has gone thru alot and has yet more to get thru. Be thankful that this time you know what to expect. Hope its easier for both of you. Recurrances arent easy at all. I had one 10 months after my intital diagnosis, only 7 months after finsihing radiation and chemo. One thing that helped me get thru it was I kept telling myself "Ive been thru much much worse and lived to tell about it". Its now a year later and Im so much better. Hoping the same is in store for Vicki. I will say lots of prayers for both of you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma