Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#934 03-26-2003 12:33 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Got the test results of the needle biopsy today, seems the swollen node on the right side of my neck, the side opposite from original surgery, radiation, etc is also malignant.

So, back this Monday for another neck dissection, probably followed by another 6 to 7 weeks of radiation. Doc thinks it won't be as bad this time because it's only on my neck, not my tongue or mouth area for the surgery and radiation, and probably no chemo.

So I've been married for a whole week, the INS/State Department/Department of Homeland Security won't even give my bride a visa to visit Hawaii for 10 days, and now this. This ain't a good way to start a marraige.

Am I ticked!!!

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#935 03-26-2003 02:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to hear about your new lymph node involvement, but so pleased to hear your positive attitude. It comes through your email, especially when you speak of your new wife. Congrats by the way.

I know you're positive "this is not a way to spend a honeymoon", but it will be worth it once it's behind you.

Take care of yourself,
Dinah

#936 03-26-2003 03:22 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I'm sorry too, to hear of this malignant lymph node on the other side of your neck - and although as awful as it is to have to go through that surgery and radiation again - thank God it is not in any other part of the mouth - and hopefully this will be contained succesfully. I wish you all the very best and remain positive in attitude - it's one of the best "medicine" around. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

DonnaJean
#937 03-26-2003 05:53 PM
OP Offline

I'm hoping this surgery isn't as bad as the last one. Since they aren't going to be cutting on the tongue and stuff, just the neck maybe it won't be so bad. Doc seems to agree.

Had a discussion with him regarding my lack of mobility of my left arm, shoulder, and asked if there's any way to avoid the same thing on the right side after surgery. Still need help putting on jackets and such, can't raise my left arm out to my side past say the 8 o'clock position. He said they'll try not to cut the trapezious (sp?) nerve this time.

We'll see.

As far as keeping a positive attitude, am trying. I dont' think it does any good to get all bummed out about all this, won't change anything at all. At least this time I know what to expect.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#938 03-26-2003 06:40 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

JetAgeHobo, you are exactly correct that this surgery will not be as bad as the previous one. I had some mouth work done and the modified radical neck, and it was almost the "walk in the park" I was told to expect. No pain. Up and around the next day. Driving everyone else nuts because I wanted OUT. You have to figure it wasn't a big deal if I had that much energy. My prediction? You are about to trade a few lymph nodes for a long and happy life!
Joanna, who is seldom wrong

#939 03-30-2003 01:50 PM
OP Offline

Joanna, hope your right on this one. Right now I'm at the hospital, waiting for the surgery appt, just keeping myself occupied. Doc came in, told me about what's going to happen, pretty much like the last one, maybe not as extensive an incision because they aren't going to go after muscle for the reconstructon on the tongue.

After the surgery, who knows. Had IMRT radiation on the left side only, Surgeon seems to think should do the radiation again on right side. Final decision on that I guess will come from radiation oncologist.

I think the mental stress will be worse than the physical stress. At this point I"m by myself in teh hospital, wife's HK visa expired and won't be renewed for a couple of days yet. ARGHH. On the good side, have a great view of the Hong Kong skyline from the hospital room window!

#940 03-30-2003 06:22 PM

Ahh, the waiting. You do know that is the very worst part of it don't you? If I were rich and powerful, after banishing oral cancer, of course, I would straighten out your poor wife's VISA situation. That is just rotten! Now, no more talk about the surgery because that will go just fine. Afterwards, I would give some serious thought to the additional radiation on the other side. Because this cancer frequently jumps sides, that seems like a pretty smart idea to me, but then I am far more cautious than I used to be (grin). Please know that half a world away, you are in the thoughts of many of us. You will go into surgery with many, many good wishes, which are not subject to the usual physical laws of time and space. It will all be okay.
Joanna

#941 03-31-2003 03:30 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Joanna

It's the day after, and now the biggest challenge is fighting off the boredom. Surgery went ok, they took out the node they new was cancerous, plus any other nodes they could see apparently. I have no idea how big the incision is because this time I've got this big honkin' bandage on.

A little bit of a sore throat and earache, but no big pain that cant' be taken care of with a couple of panadol. Eating ok, about as well as you can with hospital food.

Thanks for your support everyone. Will keep all posted on progress.
Bob

#942 03-31-2003 09:25 PM
OP Offline

Wow, 2 posts in one day...
Just got the pathology report back, plus another visit from the ENT surgeon..

So he wound up taking out 27 lymph nodes, levels 1 to 4.

Level 1 ok, salivary gland clear, lymph nodes display something called reactive hyperplasia, but no cancer.

Level 2, one lymph node showed the squamous cell carcinoma, no involvement of perinodil soft tissues or vascular permeation by tumor. The other 4 nodes were ok,

Level 3, one lymph node "partially replaced" by carcinoma, other nodes ok.
Level 4 the 10 nodes show reactive hyperplasia, no cancer.

So, my question is. In plain english, what the heck does this all mean.

Neither the ENT or the radiation oncologist are jumping up and down saying I have to get radiation on the right side, but it would be a good idea, but if I do it will raise heck with my system again. The radiation doc suggested theres a higher mobidity rate if I do the radiation. Now that confuses the heck out of me.

I guess in the next few days I'll try and get these guys to speak in plain english, not doctorese, and explain what this all means. In the meantime, if anyone else understands it, can you clue me in?
Thanks, Bob

#943 04-01-2003 02:34 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Bob,
Just to let you know both Eddie and I are thinking of you these days. Something wrong with the computer work because too many people in Hong Kong are on the internet today. Something related to the outbreak of the atypical pneumonia. Any way, good to know that your surgery is successful.Boredom is something that is not easy to overcome and if there is anything I can do to help you, please don't hesitate to contact me. I will try to e-mail you tomorrow in my school. Take care and have a good sleep.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics