Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I been eating like this for well over a year and if they ever let me get chompers, I want some good old fashion beef, pork and chicken . Strange how you eat what you have to and ignore the foods you really like.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Great News Angie! Glad to hear the surgery went so well. The swallowing hopefully will get easier with time and rehabilitation. THere are therapists that will be able to identify what the issues are and help him work through them.

Wishing you two all the best!

KATE

Last edited by misskate; 04-10-2009 02:57 PM.

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Sandy -
A few things that worked for my husband during RT and as things are starting to taste right again:

cream of wheat
oatmeal
cream of mushroom soup - sometimes with some minute rice cooked and stirred in
bread pudding with syrup
all of the above made with whole milk for the calories
also, macaroni soup went over well before the taste buds went

CG to H with SCC BOT T4N2cM0 dx 12/19/08, teeth removed pre-tx; Erbitux & RT-done 3/12/09, PEG 2/9/09-7/14/09; ND 6/16. Pet 6/12-no mets except lymph node in neck removed on 6/16. Chyle leak,2nd surg to repair. Dilate esophagus 4/15/10. Clear PET 12/17/10
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I really have a concern among many other numerous things that go on with this dreaded disease. My husband has had a peg since April 08 and here we are a year later March 09 and he still hasn't taken anything by mouth. We did start therapy for swallowing last year, but then the recurrence ,and our life just came to an abrupt stop---again. The cyberknife treatment did wonders on the tumor in the mouth -- it's gone and the one on his chin is shrinking slowly. I try to give him ice chips just to get his mouth moving, but I think he is just plain afraid and he says that he is not ready and that its even hard for him to swallow a drop of water. How pushy should I be ? God only knows how he suffers and I hate to appear like I don't understand. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Claudia

Husband 2/3 tongue removed March 2008. Free flap. . Stage IV. Radiation and 3 chemo's (cisplatin,taxol & erbitux). .Pet scan Aug 08 showed mets to lungs .Oct 08, recurrence. - In the arms of Jesus, July 15, 2009
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Claudia

Can he go back to the therapist again? I have been in a similar position where I was starting to get back on track and then had the operation for ORN and was back to square one, again.

If he is supervised by a therapist, he might have more confidence. I was fortunate after each surgery that my swallowing went smoothly and they encouraged me to swallow while I was still in hospital even after my jaw was reconstructed, I might add half the water ended up down the front of me to begin with.

It might sound crazy but I'm glad no one besides nurses and therapists have seen me dribble water or mushed up food out of my mouth when I first started to swallow again, its humiliating - he might feel the same.

Even if he can try a little water through a straw that would be a breakthrough and probably give him the confidence to have a little more and so on. I think under supervision from the therapist would be the way to go.

It really is the PITS... but it sounds like you are doing an incredible job.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Claudia - I left you an important PM, would you please read it and give me a call? thanks - Brian

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

I wish at times I had let that anneurysm be. I just was getting back tyo try some different foods and bam, lose from 184 to 160 and regain the pain and it cuts into my food supply. Sure hoping I regain something soon.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Thanks for the great list Christine. It'll come in handy when I start radiation. I haven't been able to eat scrambled eggs yet. Half of my tongue is paralyzed and all I did was end up with eggs packed between my lips and teeth. That was fun. But I did get down some meatloaf with gravy. I think the gravy was the key. Meat! Yea

Sweetpea
2/09 MEC Rt Submandibular Gland,Tumor Exc,age 68; 4/09 Rt Neck Resect, Excise Rt Lingual Nerve, 10 nodes; 1 month later- Lge Abscess Drained 5/09; 4 more cancers, final path report; 6/09 IMRTx33

Hi everyone, Not to sure how this works so please bear with me. My question is has anyone had difficulty with tube feedings where you had a real adversion to eating this way. My husband had cancer of the jawbone in 1993 Feeding tube ever since around 7 yrs ago he experienced difficulty with diarha and blotting. Unable to swallow at all. was getting aspiration phnuemonia no he is only 91lbs. Is there any help out there its like an eating disorder but not that he thinks he's fat just does not want to eat that way now its become a real problem any longtime survivors were in chicago, Il any input appreciated

Hi Brian,
I hope that maybe you might have some informations that could help me. Do you know of any sources that could help with an adversion to eating with the feeding tube. My husband has had difficulty with this for about 10 yrs. He is cancer free for 15. At first this was a small problem losing a little weight here and there now it is quite serious. No one seems to see what is happening they just keep telling him he needs to eat more. I'm not sure if this is phycological it may have been when it started but now it is physical and not sure where to turn. He has been hospitalized for nutrition problems but they never get to the bottom of it. Now he's 90lbs and I'm scared to death. He was only 43 when diagnosed so it has been a long struggle.Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Patty

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics