Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#928 03-24-2003 03:22 PM
Jane Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Everyone,

Last summer I wrote about my 81 year old mom and her battle against cancer in her jaw for the last two years. She had chemotherapy, then 7 weeks of radiation, then a fibular flap surgery last July. In November she developed an infection and last month the metal had to be removed from her jaw. Biopsies tested positive for more cancer in her jawbone and in the floor of her mouth. A chest xray also showed spots on her lung which we have just been told is metastatic disease.

Throughout all of this, she has been treated at the University of Southern California Medical Center in Los Angeles. Unfortunately the doctors do not really work together, they just pass my mom on to the next guy. The surgeon's last words were "I've done all I can for her" and referred her to yet another medical oncologist. Mom does not want anymore surgery, radiation or chemotherapy.

I guess my question is this: who oversees the "comfort care" when a patient no longer wants curative care? Is it appropriate for her internist to provide that, or is it usually an oncologist?

I'm not sure where to post this, so Brian you can move it to wherever is appropriate. Thanks.

#929 03-24-2003 04:22 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I think that you should talk with the social worker at the hospital. They have all the information that you will need regarding palliative care and hospice. As to the doctor, his only issue in the future will be pain management if further treatments are not to be undertaken. Either doctor that you have mentioned are capable of this, so I would choose the one that your mother and the family feel the most comfortable with as a person. The one that takes the time to listen, and that you feel genuinely empathizes with the process that you are about to go through. I think that I speak for all of us here in expressing my sorrow at the outcome that is the final result of all that she has been through and endured during treatment. I wish her and all those that care about her, strength in the upcoming days, and a chance to enjoy each other

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#930 03-25-2003 03:43 PM
Jane Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian, thank you for your reply. I am going with Mom tomorrow to see her internist and we are going to ask him to oversee her pain management and refer us to a social worker. I can't begin to express how grateful I have been for this forum. At all hours of the day and night, in confusion, anger, sorrow and triumph I have looked to people on this web site for support and encouragement. More information is available to me here than from any doctor who has treated my mom - and there have been plenty! I'll keep everyone "posted" on her journey.

#931 03-25-2003 06:12 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Thank you for the kind words, the people who populate this forum are indeed, an extraordinary group of caring and giving individuals. I wish that there were something more that we could do, it feels so helpless to be without an alternative. Know that you and your mother are in the thoughts of many here.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#932 03-25-2003 06:35 PM

Hi Jane,
I am terribly sorry to hear about your mother. My father died of Lymphoma and I had hospice care for him at home. They took care of pain management, sent a nurse out weekly, education of caregivers, provided appliances to make life a little easier like wheelchairs and commodes and bathing and respite care. After my dad passed they provided grief counseling. I was very grateful to have the support they gave me. I hope this helps...

God bless you,

Gary Stage III, SCC, right tonsil

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#933 04-03-2003 05:34 AM
Jane Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Gary. We are meeting with Hospice today and my mom has chosen to stay at home. We've been very fortunate to have two extraordinarily kind and gifted caregivers with her, and we're confident that all the good things we've heard about Hospice are true.

Mom actually seems peaceful now. I think it's somewhat of a relief not to have to make any more treatment decisions and we are all doing everything we can to make this time meaningful for her.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23