Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#93216 04-04-2009 08:57 PM
EricS Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

My family has been pushing me to take legal action against my dentist for missing my cancer.

They think that because he missed identifying the massive lesion in the back of my mouth during my initial evaluation and again when he took out 3 of my wisdom teeth that there is liability there. I went in 2 times to see this dentist, the first for an evaluation before getting my wisdom teeth taken out and again when he extracted them. The wisdom teeth were what I believed was causing the pain and bleeding in the back of my mouth and after they were extracted I just thought that the continued pain and bleeding was the result of the extraction. The 3rd visit to the dentist he finally sent me to the oral surgeon who identified the cancer (6 months after my 1st evaluation).

I hate law suits, and I don't want to sue my dentist, I'm not sure he's negligent even though every medical professional that saw my mouth afterwards couldn't believe he didn't see it the first time. He called me right after my diagnosis and apologized and was genuinly distressed.

anyway I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience here or would just like to hear thoughts on it. Thanks in advance for your input, good or bad.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
EricS #93218 04-04-2009 09:09 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I have been deposed in numerous lawsuits against and defending dentists by various legal entities. If you have questions give me a call. Once you start it, remember it develops a life of its own. Also remember that 20/20 hindsight for not living up to a standard of care, and remorse about your behavior, while admirable, does not bring people back from the dead.... something that has happened in several of the cases I have testified in.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
EricS #93222 04-04-2009 09:19 PM

Eric, this is a tough call. On one hand the care giver is a nice person. On the other hand would you want someone else to be treated the same way? Imagine that this dentist is insured, imagine that the insurance has to pay some damages. Perhaps the insurance company may then decide that before insuring another dentist (and all future dentists) they must have training in looking for OC. Then your suit is going help people in the future.

If you go forward with this you might just help change the system for the better.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Mark #93226 04-05-2009 12:55 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Mmm Well I too was 33 when diagnsoed and I was misdiagnosed over a period of 5-6 months by a Dr. and Dentists whom I saw several times complaining of symptoms (extreme very painful earache and sore throat- sore on tongue)and both of whom I also showed the lesion on my tongue. Its a lot of paperwork to pull together but a good lawyer will tell you what the best outcome will most likely be for your specific case. I think you should at least meet with a lawyer and see what they say.

Drs. are very protected is what i came to find out. There was a lot of abuse of malpractice in years past. After I was rejected by 2 lawyers who reviewed my files I wrote my dentist and dr. letting them know of my condition. I could have also filed a complaint to medical board - it is your right. I never did end up doing that.

The main thing that they have to prove is would the outcome have been any different had you been diagnosed earlier and with cancer its hard to prove. My Dr. wouldn't speak with the lawyer to express his opinion- so I think that is what made it tough for my case. It was too hard to prove whether or not I would have had to have a different less drastic surgery had the caught it earlier. I definitely feel that I would probably have had a tongue left had they caught it earlier and not having one effects every part of my life every single day. After awhile I just gave upon it. It was an exhausting process but I'm glad I went through it because I knew I had tried my very best and exhausted all avenues- otherwise it would have bothered me and nagged me not knowing what would have happened ... Life sure is not fair. Hope you are recovering well.

smile K

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
misskate #93235 04-05-2009 06:07 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Eric,

You have to first ask yourself why you want to consider this. It is purely punitive; do you want to improve this and perhaps other dentists' training and recognition; or is it for other reasons? This might put it into focus a little better.

Talk to several medical malpractice attorneys and see what they have to say. If you do decide to go forward make sure it's not on your "dime" and the attorney is only compensated if you either settle or prevail. Be sure to read the contract between you and the lawyer and that you understand everything in it including the different "levels" of compensation rates. I'm not an attorney but I read and advise clients everyday on the math in contracts.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #93260 04-05-2009 02:21 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Contrary to the previous posters, no dentist on the receiving end of a suit that I have been involved in won. (This includes one in which the dentist in my opinion did everything right except keep proper documentation hat he did what he was supposed to) The ability to show failure to meet standards of care, failure to diagnose, failure to refer, are not that hard to establish and prove. standards of care do not have to be in the form of a written document (though OCF is issuing one next month for national publication) they are based on many things from what you were taught to do in school, to the behavior of your contemporaries just to name a couple.

99% of the time the insurance company settles out of court before it ever gores any further in the cases I have been in. This is good and bad. You get your money, sometimes the dentist gets his hand slapped and he is right back doing the same behavior the next day. Sometimes, if the settlement is high enough (especially when there is significant morbidity and QOL issues), the insurance company refuses to reinsure the dentist. That means he is out of the dental practice game. No insurance, no state will allow you to practice. You are left with teaching (if someone will have you), or working for a dental products manufacturing company where you do not come into contact with patients. All these are poor substitutes for the income you made as a practicing doctor. If you go the attorney lawsuit route, have your team contact me for particulars. This isn't something that I enjoy, but it wouldn't be my first dance either.

Another option is to legally force him into reeducation and demonstration that he knows what he is doing, combined with routine monitoring of his patient population for confirmation of appropriate screening behavior for some fixed period of time. I like this one, the insurance companies do not. They want it over, cut and dried, and the thing paid and settled.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Brian Hill #93266 04-05-2009 06:14 PM

My son cost me a law suit against a Dr. There are time limits Eric, better check them out. I won't say who the Dr is that I had a good case against. There isn't any 2 yrs in this state for lawsuits of the medical profession. Now I suffer for a medical screw up.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #93275 04-05-2009 09:18 PM
EricS Offline OP
OP Offline

I just want to thank everyone for their extremely good feedback! I do appreciate it. I know I have a time limit, the attorney I spoke with has let me know when I have to file if I choose to go through with it.

Again, thank you all for your feedback and support, I do really appreciate it.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
EricS #93276 04-05-2009 10:01 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi eric i have sent you a pm and a couple of links to the case we went through with robins dentist.

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Cookey #93299 04-06-2009 11:00 AM

Hi Eric- Let us know how it goes. I wish I could have been able to do something. I felt I had a very very good case but the two lawyers - who were very reputible in mal med didn't want to take it on for lots of reasons I guess. Be persistant and defntiely give it a shot- absolutely investigate all of your options within the time limit.

Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912