Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Traci,
I had an NG tube for 8 days after my trach surgery. If MUST complete is RD treatment and the NG tube is an easy way for him to get nutrition for a short period of time. He MUST have nutrition to heal.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Traci

Hows your husband? Did you have a chance to talk to his doctors about the lack of nurishment?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
traci Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry it took so long to post back but it has been a full week of ups and downs. We went to see the radiation onc before his scheduled treatment on Monday and he decided to postpone his last 4 treatments for a week. That was a great relief and a pick up to his spirits. So much so that he ate a bowl of ice cream and drank an ensure Monday night. Tuesday came and he was feeling pretty worn out but optimistic. That night he started running a temp and at 4 am Wed morning, it was up to 103.2. I called the doctor on call and was told to take 2 aspirin and call in the morning. We visited the med onc on Wed and Lew had GAINED 2 lbs but was still feverish. We were sent over to the cancer center so he could receive his daily fluids and had 3 antibiotics administered as well as blood cultures drawn. When we left the hospital Wed., he had no fever. The fever returns each night and edges up as the night goes on. Then after he receives his antibiotics (3 days worth so far) it recedes. Right now its a little over 102. And of course, he has quit eating again because the ulcers in his mouth seem to get worse daily. Can somebody please tell me what the yellowish stuff that seems to just ooze from the corners of his mouth is??? He has also developed radiation burns starting under his nose and continues to his chest. Weeping oozing sloughing of the skin type burns. He doesnt sleep at night because he becomes so swollen and takes 2 or 3 hours to get cleaned up enough to go out in public for his treatments. The only sleep he is getting is while he is at the hospital getting his fluids. Everything I say or do is wrong and is nit picked to death so I invited 2 of his buddies over tonight and await their arrival. Hopefully hearing from someone else will help.

Sophie, to answer your question....yes he did receive 2 cycles of taxotere, cisplatin, and 5fu that dripped for 4 days. Then he started weekly chemos of Erbitux, Taxol, and Carboplatin along with radiation.

Thank you everyone for your posts. You can view pics of Lew from diagnosis to his current condition on his webpage http://asilentepidemic.webs.com/apps/photos/

Traci
Spouse to Lew (59)(5 family members DX)
SCC IVA/T1N2M0 BOT DX 9/08 /Tonsillectomy(cl)/ TX 12/08 (TPF)x2 /RT x35 w 7 wkly (Taxol, Carboplatin, Erbitux) Finish 4/09 / Port /no peg lost 105lbs/ 2/10 CT clear/HBOT x30/all teeth out and implants placed
www.asilentepidemic.webs.com

Hi Traci.

Hope today is a better day. Right now is the hardest time of treatments. It still be rough for about 2 or 3 weeks after treatments are finished. Then your husband will start to feel a little better day by day.

The yellow stuff could be from the infection. Has the doctor given you anything to put on the radiation burns? I used beta-val cream which worked wonders as there are no scars at all.

Try your bet to think positive, no matter how difficult it gets. You know you arent the bad guy here, you are trying your best to take care of your husband. Looking out for his best interests isnt easy. When he is feeling so lousy, he doesnt mean to take it out on you. This will be over soon and things will be better. Being a caregiver can be an awful, thankless job. We are here for you too, hang in there.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Traci, please listen to Christine. I was a mean one so I been told but I sure didn't know it.It cost me a relationship so I am told and have appologized many times for what ,I have no idea.But like all of us, it affects our minds then runs when we feel better. LOL Oh my this OVC is so great and causes so many damn problems for us that suffer. Just don't blame hubby for something he can't control.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

I coughed something up last nite before bedtime. Thick , a pale yellow and had a terrible odor to it. Just to finally cough something up and out was a good feeling, but I sure would like to know what could smell so bad.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Jim- I don't know- it was probably something that was stuck down there forawhile. Good luck with all of your appt this week. We will be praying for the best possible outcome. K

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912