Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Believe Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband tested positive for HPV. Would love to get opinions on whether this could/should be treated, in addition to Cisplatin and Radiation????

Caregiver to SURVIVOR George; Stage IV SCC no primary; HPV positive;
heavy drinker, moderate smoker; discovered in lymph nodes - surgically removed; dx March '10; PEG tube; 3 bolus cisplatin; 35 radiation treatments completed May 22,2009; Kickass support system
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

First off I assume you are talking about testing positive for HPV oral cancer, probably squamous cell carcinoma (SCC).

A few out the 100+ strains of the HPV virus are linked to SCC, most notably 16 and 18. HPV+ SCC is currently treated just like HPV- SCC which could involve surgery, chemo (platinum based such as Cis or Carboplatin or biologically based such as Erbitux (Cetuximab)), and radiation or a combination of all three options.

If he has tested positive for HPV then there is no second opinion needed on whether or not it's HPV related but if you question how they propose to treat him, then multiple opinions may be warranted.

Has he been Staged yet?

How old?

Where is his Primary?

Does he have nodal involvement?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

If all he tested positive for was HPV, I would be curious about how he was tested for it. You mention nothing of being positive for cancer. 80% of the American population will have at least one of the more than 120 versions of HPV in their lifetimes according to the CDC. For the vast majority of them this means nothing. Only 9 versions of HPV are known to be oncogenic. (5 of these frequently, 4 less so).

If all he has is HPV there is no treatment for it, and I would not give this too much though unless it is an oncogenic version of HPV. Even then having a cancer causing version of HPV does not mean that you will get a cancer. In many people their immune system just clears this all by itself. My wife Ingrid 8 years ago tested positive for HPV 16 and 18 during a cervical exam. But she has never tested positive for it since then, and she gets a pap every 6 months because of my history.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Believe Offline OP
OP Offline

My apologies for not being clearer.

Yes, absolutely, SCC Stage IV no primary tumor. 3.4 centimeter tumor taken out of the lymph node.

Being treated with Cisplatin (bolus) x 35 IMRT.

Caregiver to SURVIVOR George; Stage IV SCC no primary; HPV positive;
heavy drinker, moderate smoker; discovered in lymph nodes - surgically removed; dx March '10; PEG tube; 3 bolus cisplatin; 35 radiation treatments completed May 22,2009; Kickass support system
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I assume you mean no primary found?

So he's already had a partial neck dissection and he is undergoing concuurent chemo and rad and that's the customary Tx with or without HPV. As you can see I was HPV+, was a Stage IV, had nodal involvement (but no ND) and I had the Cis and rad and I'm still typing so I hope this helps.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I believe what she is asking is: HPV is believed to have caused the cancer. Should he not also be treated for the HPV? Might it still be active and cause a reacurance? Could he not still give it to her? That is how I read the question. I couldn't possibly answer it, because I just don't know the answer. But I really would like to hear it. And if that is not the question, I would still like the answer wink

Amy

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009
reoccurance dx'd Aug 19, 2009
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

There is treatment for the SCC, but there are no treatments for HPV or any other virus for that matter. If there were, we could cure the common cold which is caused by the rhino virus.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Thanks Brian, that was a fast response. But for my next dumb question. What about things like Tamiflu? Meaning, I thought some viruses were treatable.
Amy

40 yr old. Stage IV SCC found left tonsil. PET/CT shows cancer on base of tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes on both sides. HPV 16 pos. 6 weeks of cisplatin, 43 days of radiation. 73gy on each side.
ND March 2, 2009

Never mind. Answered my own question. Seems the treatment for HPV virus is to contol the symptoms.

ND March 2, 2009
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Amy,

Go read a semi technical article on the cold virus and you'll see how complex and smart that little bugger is in it's quest to survive. The one thing we need to get them (viruses) to understand is they pretty much need a host to survive and prosper so back off and give us a break.

Re HPV, there have been studies over the years (most recently John Hopkins headed up by Dr Maura Gillison) on trying to boost our immune system's response to HPV in people that have already been exposed to it and as Brain said by age 50, that's over 80% of us, but no one has yet to be successful and of course we have the Gardasil vaccine that has shown success in dealing with 4 Oncogenic strains of the virus in pre sexually active teen girls and hopefully boys to come. SOOOO one day in the future we could have a shot that would boost the immune system's response in people that have already been exposed to the virus and vaccinate all the boys and girls before they get exposed and today's HPV would be something for the history books. But by then HPV will have probably mutated beyond those weapons.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users