Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92902 03-31-2009 05:27 AM
slim Offline OP
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi. John has 2 more chemo treatments and 11 more radiation treatments. Things are really, really rough. He is nauseas constantly. He is taking both Zofran and Compazine, not at the same time, but they really aren't doing a whole lot. He is still drinking water but stopped all food intake by mouth about a week ago. Because he is so nauseas constantly, he isn't using the feeding tube like he should. He is only getting in 2 -3 cans of Osmolite a day.

Right now the biggest problem is gagging. He can no longer talk or he gags and throws up. I assume this is from the mucus and radiating that area? He has lost his facial hair and the hair at the base of his neck. The hair on his head is really thinning out.

It's so hard watching him go through this. He never complains, just takes things as they come. I can't even imagine what is going through his head. He isn't really good at communicating even when he can talk.

John is using the baking soda/salt/water rinse for his mouth along with the Biotene mouthwash. Any suggestions regarding the not being able to talk and the gagging? Thanks for listening. Sometimes I just feel really alone with all of this. People who aren't aware of this type of cancer don't understand the terrible side effects from treatment. Wanda

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2
slim #92906 03-31-2009 05:51 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Wanda,

Forget about the hair thing. That's 100% normal and is in no way life altering nor life threatening.

Unfortunately there is no magic wand and since we can all respond differently to the same Tx and the same meds you just have to explore as many different options with your docs and lets hope they are experienced enough to have many suggestions to try.

I couldn't find really anything that stopped my nausea and I didn't have a Peg and I would even lie to my wife about how much I consumed while she was at work just so she wouldn't make me swallow more. I lost a ton of weight that I didn't have to loose and ended up in the ER 3 times for fluids. Now could I have made it easier on myself? YOU BET and that would have been to consume the recommended amount of water and "food" each and every day. Our body is under attack from the cancer and the treatment and therefore is under a great deal of stress both physically and mentally and it needs all the fuel we can give it to have a fighting chance. It's like a snowball rolling down a hill; if he doesn't give his body the fuel it needs he will only allow more complications to pile up on top of an already bad situation and believe me things can get much much worse than what he is going through. Towards the end of my Tx I abandoned all my pain meds because of the nausea they caused and would stand over my sink after swallowing water or food and close my eyes and hold my mouth shut until the gag reflex stopped. My gag reflex continued at least a month after all my Tx's had stopped.

Please somehow try to get his pain and nausea better controlled and please get the hydration and food in him any way you can.

If you can get him to call me please PM me and I'll give you my contact numbers. Maybe he will listen to a vet that has been there done it.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #92912 03-31-2009 07:36 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Wanda,
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It's frustrating and exhausting. There is so much pressure being the caregiver. You feel like you have to be constantly vigilant and make sure everything possible is being done, plus watching your husband suffer. We learn the true meaning of the words" for better or worse."

Ask your doctors about Ativan. This drug worked quite well for Richard. He would take the Zofran and Ativan together or space them out a bit from one another. The Ativan relaxes you and helps with the nausea. It helped Richard to sleep. The Compazine did NOTHING. We were lucky in that Richard was able to consume a couple of 700 calorie shakes a day. Then we supplemented with the cans. I counted calories every day to make sure he was getting enough. He lost ten pounds and those were extra that he gained before treatment started. Please send me a PM if you want to "chat." Take care as best you can... Geri

Geri-CG to husband Richard, 62 yrs old. Former smoker, quit 30yrs ago, light drinker. Dx after tests with BOT T1N1M0. Tx to start by end of Dec. Seven wks IMRT with 2x Cisplatin-2x Erbitux. Peg in 12/08- removed 4/21/09. Looking good so far. Clear Pet &MRI 8/2/09
Geri #92916 03-31-2009 10:54 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Wanda

Im sorry to hear your husband is struggling so much. Right now he is going into the worst phase of treatments. The end and first 2 weeks after are awful. I also lost my ability to talk and used a dry erase board for about 3 wks. No matter how bad it gets, try to have him still swallow water and stretch his mouth open wide. These things are difficult to fix if he loses that ability.

I think I used Zofran and Emend (Amend) for nasuea. Compazine didnt help me, it made me sick. Magic mouthwash will help numb his mouth. I hope you find something strong to help with the nasuea.

Hang in there its almost over and it will get easier in a couple weeks.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
slim #93003 04-01-2009 01:52 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Wanda - my husband's experience was pretty much the same as what Geri wrote about, in terms of what drugs worked. Regarding nutrition, if John is not already using a gravity feed bag, then please talk to your dietician immediately. This was a lifesaver for my husband. David is right - your husband needs fuel to both fight the cancer AND to recover from the side effects of the treatment. Best of luck to you both. It really will get better!

Caregiver to husband, 44, nonsmoker, nondrinker
Diagnosed 7/15/08 with BOT SCC, stage IVa.
Two positive nodes removed
Cisplatin and erbitux ended 10/15/08
Radiation over 10/20/08
Back to work 11/24/08
PEG out 12/9/08
Scans 12/2008 and 3/2009 Clear

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260