Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

Hello OCF forum contributors,

As many of you know the only way people really hear about this helpful and inspiring site is through word of mouth, a card they saw with the web address or searching the web for answers. We want to continue spreading the advice and encouragement but we need the troops that are still going to treatment to help. I know that it may be difficult to think about helping others when you are fighting your own battles, but in some ways it may make you feel better

- If you are going to treatment and have never seen our info card describing the site and all the features, as well as how to navigate to this forum, let me know. We want to make it easy for the next patient that comes through looking for more information to find all of you here that have such valuable experience and information. Leaving this card at the radiation check in desk and other places in the hospital like social services will help the support staff there point them to us with little effort just by putting the cards out or giving them out to patients.

- You don't have to volunteer for anything else - just bringing some cards along toleave with the hospital staff on your next visit.

E-mail me at [email protected] if you want to take some in, or just respond to the thread. I will see that they get posted out to you the next day.

Can't wait to hear from you!!!!!
Brittany

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Britanny

I just sent you an email with home address and phone number. Please send me cards. It was not until 4 months AFTER finishing radiation and chemo that I stumbled across OCF. Most of the web sites out there are either bogus or predatory or both!
It would have made a major difference if I had been able to log on during those long lonely months of no one understanding how different this oral cancer is from prostate or breast cancer. Perhaps I would have even gotten a PEG instead of "being tough."

While I am sad that I am back in treatment due to recurrence, I am glad to spread the word. Life is to short, especially now, to waste on "what if"- but I can't help but think that if I had known what I do now, I could have caught my cancer before it was Stage IV and spread to lymph nodes. Plus I appreciate the subtitle on the recurrence forum about "being dealt a hard hand," as after one year OC clean MRIs and PET/CT's to be told that the radiation and chemo had failed, and the exact same cancer was back in the exact same places, and now they needed to cut out my tongue and split my jaw and mor , I was devastated.
So let me help spread the word

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Britanny

I sent you a PM last week about the buttons. I have tons of brochures to give out. I would love to wear a button. It would be my badge of courage that I would proudly wear. All my personal mailing info is on the PM or you may already have it from the PA state chapters.

Thank you

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

When I was diagnsed with OC something took me straight to this Computer and I started looking for an Oral Cancer site. I got lucky on the 2nd try and have been here bothering people since. I think it was 2 or 3 months before I had my 1st surgery. I sure does luv my nu home. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Brittany - besides the cards, please send everyone the metal OCF lapel pin we give to doctor members. These people that reach out and help deserve to be on the same level. That goes for any of you regular posters here that have helped others. Besides the buttons that we have that get conversations going, I would be proud to have you wearing the OCF logo pin if you would like to. You guys are OCF family and part of the solution, many of you as much as the professional staffs that we work with.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Brian you are truly a leader by the definition in your signature. I appreciate everything that you have done and are doing. Thank you.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace

I received the cards and badges today, I must say you are fast Brittany . Thank you so much as I will get rid of some of them at my Oncologist and the head of the Cancer Unit this Tue, thw 10th. I like the new badges and the bright colors and I will have one of them on my jacket or shirt. Thanks for the service.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I'm excited..I'm going to my dentist this Tuesday and they already want more brochures. They send them out in new patient packages. They know a lot of people in "the biz" so I'm anticipating needing a lot more!! This is fun!!!

I am so proud to be a part of this. I feel like this is something I was meant to do.

Last edited by suzanne98; 03-06-2009 07:32 PM.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)

Suzanne, you are a breath of fresh air. So upbeat and bubbly.

Thank you...you are so kind to say that.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics