Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Good1 Offline OP
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Sorry for the lengthy title. I have done a search and found some info here on the swelling after rad and I am printing some of it for the ENT on Weds.

I think that part of mine is related to the free flap construction from my pectoral muscle also. The swelling was going down quite a bit until this past week. It has gotten swollen again and does feel like it has fluid in it which some of you described after radiation. It also feels like it is pulling from my clavecal (spelling? I'm not great at anatomy) where they must have done some blood vessel attaching to my free flap. I plan to ask if PT with light massage will help, but I want to go with as much info as possible. I'm taking her some photos of how much better the swelling was up until about a week ago also.

Did anyone have good luck with PT and light massage for neck swelling and soreness?

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I did physical therapy, starting at a month out from surgery. I had to stop for about 2 weeks toward the end of radiation because my neck was too burned. But, during physical therapy I would do some different workouts and then finish with getting my neck massaged and my muscles in my neck stretched out - especially those muscles down around the collarbone area, because they always seemed to get super tight. I am 6 months out from the end of treatment and I still have some edema and I work on massaging it several times a day on my own. It's caused from a build up of the lymphatic fluid in your neck and my RO told me it can be caused from the surgery, or it can be caused from the radiation, and when you put both of them together, well, you get the point. He said it can take at least a year for the lymphatic system to open back up and start moving all the fluid again. Hope this helps some.

Stephanie, 23, SCC on the right side of my tongue, surgery on 5-19-08, over half my tongue removed, free flap constructed from my forearm, bilateral neck dissection, one positive node. Radiation (32) and chemo (carboplatin) started on 6-16-08. Recurrence 4/09 in lungs.

**** Stephanie passed away 12.15.09.... RIP our dear friend****

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Patty,

I've had about 5 sessions with a PT for gentle massage under my chin, and yes, its made a big difference already. Swelling has gone down, my range of motion has increased and the tissue is softer. Plus, it all just feels better.

- Margaret

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018
Good1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Margaret and Stephanie thank you for responding. Stephanie, your RO's comment about it taking a year for things to open back up helps me to make sense of one of the comments that my ENT made just after my surgery. She said that it would take a year or so for the swelling in my neck to go down. For a woman doctor she is not the greatest communicator and I have just recently reached the point where I can ask intelligent questions thanks to this site.

I will ask for the PT with gentle massage when I go in this Weds. I am afraid that if the muscle or whatever continues to shrink and be stiff that it will be a permanent thing which I do not want. I had frozen shoulder (such a technical name) after my last surgery and it was truly no fun. I have been doing exercises for my shoulders and stretching my neck muscles, but it is still very stiff and now swollen.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
35 rad 2006
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
Good1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Saw the ENT yesterday and I will be having PT with massage for the stiff neck. We are also doing an esophogram 3/9. She also gave me script for the Xanax to help relax the neck and go to sleep at night. I slept like a rock last night.

I am so grateful to all of you for the guidance so that I know how to be my own advocate. Thank you.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
35 rad 2006
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence

Hi Patty- I hear ya. My neck 2 years later still gets very stiff an dthe first year it was reeeealllly sore and stiff and swollen. The combination of the surgery and radiation is a doozy. I have gotten massages fairly regularly, done all sorts of differnt PT- chiropractor yoga. ALl ahve been good Its important to gently stretch the muscles and when the wswelling goes down work on strengthening the neck muscles. That is what I've been doing this past 6 months working on restrengthening the right side of my neck where the neck dissection was. It was looking very uneven but I have to say in the last 3 mmonths sinc I've been doing more excercises its been looking much more evened out.

I also recently started using these "miracle balls" (see link below) and I have to say they feel amazing! THer eare some aweesoem ones for the neck and realigning I've been trying to do it every night and its made a huge difference.

http://www.powells.com/biblio/17-9780761128687-0

They also have some spots where you can put the ball that helps with insomnia- I suffer from that big time too. Alywas did but after the whole hospital surgery radiation deal it has never really gone away.A lot of it is anxiety I think and discomfort.
Oh yea I also have a foam pillow which mold to my head and neck which also feel great.

Happy healing Patty- I know its so frustrating because you just wan to feel normal again. Hang in there. Get hoofked up witha good PT who can help you rehabilitate.

KATE

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Good1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Kate. I will try just about anything to get some relief. I did move my mouse down to the keyboard shelf today and it seems to be helping. I was extremely swollen and sore this morning after spending the day on the computer yesterday doing some work for a CPA friend. After my first surgery I had frozen shoulder and I have been careful to do stretching and some light weight exercises this time.

My therapy doesn't start until 3/9, but I am very happy with the facility that I will be going to. For the next few weeks I will just keep doing what I can. I think that the massage will be very good for it. We have a Wellness Center here that offers what they call medical massage that interests me also.

So I am not confused, your post says to stretch the muscles when the swelling goes down. Is this so that they will be stronger and not swell as often? I know that simple tasks that I used to have no problem with, like scraping the ice or mud off of my sidewalks, can cause a lot of pain for me.

Thanks
Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
35 rad 2006
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence

Ther eis a lot of scar tissue that occurs after surgery and radiation. The stretching the neck and shoulder area helps break this up. Slowly building up the surrounding neck muscles will help that side of your neck get stronger again. For along time I was holding my head kind of crooked. Its a loooong process. Only now in the past 2 months have I felt like I'm almost back to where I was pre-surgery.

Be gentle with yourself. The medical massage sounds great! That will really help work out the tension and scar tissue. The PT will also help you with excercies and stretches.

I love massage to my neck- I could get one everyday - it feels so good!!!!

I knwo what you mean about the simple tasks. I gave a piggyback ride ot my neice this christmas and it hurt so bad. It will get better. Just hang in there! You hav e a very positive action oriented attitude that will help you make progress.

XO Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
Good1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Kate

Having had surgery and radiation twice I would imagine that my scar tissue is twice as bad. So it will take twice as much work. I am used to that - I do everything the hard way. It is just the way I am put together.

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck. You are very inspirational to me. Actually I need to post another thread over in the dining section that I think you have some insight into.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
35 rad 2006
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members