Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#904 03-20-2003 04:19 AM
Rosalie Offline OP
OP Offline

For everyone who is going through a difficult time.
I am often on this web site reading all your stories and have written to a few people at various times. I just would like to offer my support and if you would ever want to e-mail me I would always be available to talk to you.
I am also going through a rough time since being diagnosed with Oral Cancer Stage I in October
2002. I had a partial glossectomy Oct.9th a neck disection November 19th at that time I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and on Jan. 14th I had a total Thyroidectomy. At this present time I have been taken off my thyroid meds because I have to have an I 131 treatment which is a Radiation treatment to tell if the cancer has spread to my lungs and also to check for residual cancer of the remaining thyroid that is always left after thyroid surgery.
Yesterday I went to a Breast Surgeon because I recently have had several cyst on my breast that have been aspirated and have been okay. Well, yesterday was different the vile was full of blood and is being checked for cancerous cells. The doc said to me maybe the blood was from the last aspiration which could have left trauma to the area and then she said well I think this cyst is at a different location. I couldn't even speak. It felt like total bull the information. When I got home I called her, but she had left for the day. She called this morning and said to me I THOUGHT WE DISCUSSED THIS IN THE OFFICE. I explained my situation which I don't know why I felt the need to do so, but I find it so upsetting when a Doctor has a DIFFICULT TIME REPEATING WHAT WAS INITIALLY SAID. It makes me so angry that I feel like I never want to speak to that Dr. again.
I would like to know if anyone has experienced that type of Doctor's attitude. I have quite a few times.
Rosalie

Rosalie
#905 03-20-2003 05:05 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Rosalie .... I think one of the most important things we as patients have to remember in all of this is that we are the consumer. We are the ones who pay our Doctors, we employ them, not the other way around. You have every right to phone your physician with questions and you have every right to expect a decent response, and in a timely manner. Sometimes I think Doctors need to be reminded that we are full of fear, fear of the unknown and that without their help and input this cancer experience can become almost unbearable. Of course we want our questions answered.

When I was first diagnosed with tongue cancer my ENT, Dr. B pretty much took over the reins for me. He did most of the refering out to collegues of his that he worked with and I liked most of the Doctors he refered me to and they were known as the best Doctors in city. However, there was one exception -- I didn't like the oncologist he hooked me up with. At our first visit I felt he was being condesending and short with me and my ton of questions and I said to my husband that I didn't like the guy. I was scared and feeling very vulerable at that time and afraid to "rock the boat" as they say. Visit two, I felt the same way. Didn't like the guy. By the time I was admitted to the hospital for my first round of chemo I was thinking I needed to find someone else, but at this late date who would I find. So as I was getting adjusted in my new hospital room and getting ready for chemo my oncologist came in and immediately irritated me. Luckily for me I had a very intuitive nurse in the room with me that morning because after the Doctor left she said to me, "if you don't like him, you have every right to switch doctors." Who in the world is gonna take me at this late date I asked. She immediately brought me a list of oncologist and I began calling. I had three interviews that same day, in the hosptial, and finally chose a woman oncologist that I immediately clicked with. Long story short. I fired the admitting doctor with the head nurse at my side. I even took the time to explain to him why I was switching doctors which he didn't like one bit. Yeah, I was nervous and scared but I also new that what I was dealing with could be a life and death situation. I wanted someone I liked and trusted and someone whom I could talk freely with if it were to come down to that. And I got what I wanted, the best oncologist in town .... well, that might be my opinion, but it's the only opinion that counts!!! I am certainly not advocating for you to switch doctors but what I am saying is that we are the consumers in all of this and we have the right to be treated in a respectful manner. We have the right to ask questions over and over again and not feel guilty about it. We have enough on our plate without having to deal with an inconsiderate doctor. And remember, we are our own best advocate. Hang in there Rosalie, and keep us posted! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#906 03-20-2003 07:23 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Gee whiz, Donna, I wish you would tell us what you really think! (grin).

Rosalie, I second everything Donna has said. Another example is that I was going to a dentist I just didn't like, but kept going because everyone else thought he was terrific. He is the one who completely missed the tumor in my mouth. Should have trusted my instincts. If your doctor is not a good fit for you, make a change! When you are going through a tough treatment, you have to believe in your doctor in your brain -- and in your heart! Hang in there, Rosalie.

Joanna

#907 03-20-2003 11:28 AM
Rosalie Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear Donna,
I admire you so much for how you handled a difficult situation. I think it was awesome how you fired him in front of the head nurse. He certainly deserved it. I am quite aware how you have to be your own advocate. I have learned to question many things that Doctors tell me because in my case so many of them have been incorrect in diagnosing Oral Cancer. Today in fact the internist that I used to see called me to see how I was doing. She said she just received many reports about my surgeries. I saw her for 2 months with a horrible lesion on my tongue before she referred me to a Head and Neck surgeon who turned out to be awful. She refused to do a biopsy because my tongue was too sore. I saw her many many times. I have told this story before and it seems like so many of us have our story to tell. I really would love to be a patient advocate. Hospitals are really lacking people that could be key people to a successful practice.
Also, when my head and neck surgeon told me that the Oral Cancer didn't spread but I now have thyroid cancer which is so easy to take care of because we remove your thyroid and then you take a pill that kills any cancerous remaining cells that are left. WRONG!!!! NOT SO EASY. YOUR THYROID CONTROLS SO MUCH LIKE METABOLISM, HEART RATE, BODY TEMP. HORMONES ETC. He forgot to inform me that I would me off thyroid meds for a month and I would feel lousy and that I would need 2 body scans to see if the cancer spread to my lung. I just don't get it!!! Why as patients are we so misinformed. I think all of us should write a book about our experiences. They are all so meaningful. What do you think about that idea.?
Rosalie Stage 1 Oral Cancer, Thyroid Cancer, Breast Cancer??????????(hope not)

Rosalie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics