Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#897 03-19-2003 09:31 AM
WZ Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

In my treatment team, there are three doctors:ENT (he also the surgeon), the radiation oncologist doctor and the chemo doctor. Now, I am wondering how many doctors should see for the follow-up checks. Is it necessary to see all of them ? I felt that it may be enough if see the ENT and the radiation doctor, I would appreciate any input about this subject.

WZ | Stage 4, Tonsillar Cancer Aug, 2002
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

In my own case, I alternate between a head and neck surgeon and a radiation oncologist. My choice is based on picking individuals who I know have the experience to recognize oral cancer visually, and by palpation / feeling. Neither the radiation doctor nor the surgeon were my treating doctors, since they are half a country away. I send my annual MRI and CT to my treating doctors at MDACC for their visual review even though a local radiologist has read them. It may be an unnecessary step, but I trust them implicitly, and an extra set of trained eyes never hurts. So for me it is not about a doctor

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

WZ, for me the treatment team also contains the three types of doctors you mentioned even though I didn't go through neck surgery. Regarding the follow up appointments, the radiation oncologist played the major role. I saw the ENT surgeon for a couple of times only after completing treatment. And since he is just next door to my radiation oncologist, I can consult him upon request. So far I have been lucky to have this radiation oncologist taking care of me and he is able to answer all my questions during the appointment.He is also the one arranging all necessary tests for me.I only met the chemo doctor each time before chemo treatment and have never met him again after completion.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
WZ Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Brian and Karen. I think I would follow-up with radiation doctor and ENT doctor.

In my treatment, chemo did not play the major role. The doctor said it simply made the cancer cell more sensative to the radiation, the dosage was low too.

WZ | Stage 4, Tonsillar Cancer Aug, 2002

Hi WZ,
Just completed radiation today and I have followup appointments scheduled with the Oncologist and Radiation Oncologist. This will go on for a while (6 months or so)and then I will start getting quarterly checkups by the Head and Neck surgeon (I didn't have surgery either)

Gary

Stage III SCC, Right Tonsil

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

WZ,

I was treated with 3 dr.s also and I've had follow ups with all of them. Each doctor tends to look at a different thing. The ENT closely examines my oral cavity. The radiation doc examines all of the sites that were in the rad field to make sure there are no problems, and the chemo doc checks the levels of different things in my blood to make sure there are no effects from the chemo. Each doctor has a schedule of follow ups that they keep to, and as time goes on the visits get less and less. In my case, my last treatments were in September. I see my ENT every 8 weeks, my radiation dr. every 6 months, and now get to see the chemo doc once a year.
Make sure the doctors you choose to follow up with screen you for any possible lasting effects from your specific treatments.

I survived because I kept hope alive!!! Live, laugh, love and keep fighting hard.
Jeanette
Stage 3 oral cancer...over 60% of tongue and all lymph nodes on right side removed...July 2002.
Chemo and Radiation...ended September 2002.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

WZ, in my case the radiation oncologist and chemo doc were the same doc. So saw the ENT and the Radiation doc each once a month. Only thing differnt, the doc that did the actual surgery was visiting from Vancouver, and I see him when he happens to be in Hong Kong. Turns out he's the one that "found" the new tumour, will be doing the second neck dissection next week.

Guess it never hurts to have several sets of eyes checking things out.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23