Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There isn't a simple means to search by staging. The data base isn't set up to do this.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

I was doing a search about tongue cancer, and came upon your post. A few months ago, my mother was diagnosed with tongue cancer, that had progressed to her lymph nodes, and to her lungs. It has been very progressive as well, also not operable or curable. She did not smoke nor drink. She did have ill fitting denture, which could have contributed to it, according to some web sites. Her treatment drugs sound similiar, and the radiation was placed on hold, depending on how she responds to chemo. She has only had one chemo treatment, but has had various complications. She was also working and in good health, until Early December 2008. Her tumor grew very rapidly and she has a trachestomy for breathing, and a feeding tube for liquids and medicine. We have heard different things regarding a prognosis - to calling relatives immediately before the trach, to calling in hospice, to seeing what happens with the next chemo. It can be discouraging with so much digression so quickly, and not knowing what will happen. At the same time, I don't think anyone really knows, and we hope we will have more time with my mother. The memories the last few months have been amazing, yet heart wrenching. It was comforting to find a post so similiar to my mother's condition. My heart goes out to you. This isn't an easy journey.
Elissa, daughter of cancer patient

OP Offline

Hi Elissa - nice to meet you but, unfortunately this way. Hope your Mom is hanging in there and doing okay. I would love to chat with you about her story if you don't mind or if you just need someone to chat with. I've had a hard time finding anyone with a case similar to my husband, Bob. You are definitely right that his is not an easy journey. Seems SCC can be pretty aggressive. As I am, you must have been horrified to hear your Mom's cancer was already in stage 4. Seems she was diagnosed just a month ago and you've already had to call in Hospice...is that right? That seems incredibly fast! I live in Fremont, California. My number is: 5xx-xxx-xxxx. Feel free to call anytime you want or need to chat.
Brenda Smith (wife of cancer patient)

Brenda, I removed your phone number to protect your privacy. I strongly suggest you use the private message or direct e-mail instead of placing your phone number for the whole world to see. (including those pesky snake-oil peddlers)

Mark

Last edited by Mark; 01-22-2009 09:08 PM. Reason: removed phone number

CG to H, 68 yr male, DX 10/27/08 w/BOT, Grade 2, T4/N2/M1 (neck, lung, midsternum) stage 4C/inoperable & incurable at this point as it is considered systemic. Dec 08 - Feb 09 had 7 treatments of chemo (taxol & carboplatin). 9/10/09 DX w/recurrence, MRI on 9/17/09. I STILL FEEL & LOOK GREAT :-)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Brenda,

I'm sorry that you and your husband are going through this...It's never easy hearing stories like yours...You two sound very strong and loving.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Brenda, I removed your phone number to protect your privacy. I strongly suggest you use the private message or direct e-mail instead of placing your phone number for the whole world to see. (including those pesky snake-oil peddlers)

This is not to discourage your offer to chat with Elissa.

Contact me if you have questions or concerns

Mark

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
OP Offline

Thanks Mark for removing the phone number. I will send it to Elissa in a private message. Good catch!!! I don't want to hear from pesky snake oil salesmen. :-)

Brenda

CG to H, 68 yr male, DX 10/27/08 w/BOT, Grade 2, T4/N2/M1 (neck, lung, midsternum) stage 4C/inoperable & incurable at this point as it is considered systemic. Dec 08 - Feb 09 had 7 treatments of chemo (taxol & carboplatin). 9/10/09 DX w/recurrence, MRI on 9/17/09. I STILL FEEL & LOOK GREAT :-)

Hearing from snake oil salesmen with cancer cures might not be a bad thing -- It would be a really go opportunity to blow your stack!

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Brenda, I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal. I do have a friend with the same diagnosis (different cancer + metz). She was given 3 months. She's been getting chemo tx once a week and is still going strong. She's a year and a half from that prognosis. Looking at her, you'd never know she was even sick. They keep finding new stuff everyday. I'm a 4b but was able to handle a very agressive treatment which with God's grace has kept me here. Don't ever give up, stay as positive as you can, no one knows how this is going to turn out. They can only go by statistics and those statistics are changing rapidly right now. Best of luck you you both and I'll incude you in my prayers, Carol

DX 6/05 Rt Tonsil SSC advanced to lymph node. Stage 4b. RND, took tonsils, strips off the back of tongue, throat and nose. 19 lymph nodes removed only 1 bad. Once healed, 7 weeks of treatment including 35 IMRT, 7 Cisplatin, 7 Erbitux and 35 nasty Amophostine. Almost 11 yrs out now. Woooo Hoooo!
OP Offline

Thanks Carol - we are trying to keep an open mind about all of this and be proactive at the same time. The more I read the more I realize I don't know. It seems overwhelming to my husband to read about all of this so, I do it and inform him of anything I think might be useful in making his decisions about his treatment plan.

I just wish I could find cases of others that had metastasis to the anterior mediastinum in the chest. I've seen that many have survived even in the 4th stage but none with stage 4c and metastasis to the lymph nodes in the neck and a chest mass as well.

If anyone reads this and has any similar situaton/s to tell me about I would REALLY appreciate hearing about them. I'm desperately looking for hope....Brenda

Last edited by 12thofnever; 01-25-2009 01:02 PM.

OP Offline

Hey Pete - you are right about the snake oil salesmen. We all need someone to blow out steam at. Funny! :-)

How are you doing? Brenda Smith

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics