Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I've been on Erbitux for some time (about 12 weeks now). My rash seems to 'move' every couple of weeks. I'll have it on the face, then my chest, then my legs, then my scalp, etc.
My doctor had me try T-GEL shampoo and it has worked remarkably well. You have to keep it moist though as the T-GEL and similar products will dry you out if you let them.
-steve

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Steve I had the rash on different parts of my body also. The doctor prescribed an acne medication for it and it seemed to help. Mine never itched or anything, just got little white heads on it like a pimple. I just told myself that at least it was working.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace

Went to the doctor today and they are not giving him anymore Taxol as it is not working. Next Wednesday dr is starting him on Erbitux...Has Erbitux helped anybody ? We are going to the ENT dr. in Pgh on Monday. The oncologiest here said that maybe the ENT dr. may consider the Cyber Knife since the tumor is growing in his mouth. (it got larger) that's what the drs. say -- I can't look in there. Shame on me. That's one thing I can't do. I get too nervous. Does anybody know anything about this Cyber Knife procedure. Of course, the dr. may not think that he is a candidate for it. I don't know. I've been very weepy today and I cried the whole time I was in the doctors office. I've been holding up quite well considering. I think I know what triggered my depression, not only hearing that the taxol wasn't working, but when I got home yesterday from work, there was a card addressed to me. Much to my surprise, I got a sympathy card from an acquaintance who i have'nt seen in quite sometime and in the card, she puts in a long letter about Jim. Where she got this wrong news, I have no idea. Can you imagine getting a sympathy card and a beautiful letter about your spouse..while he was sitting in the chair next to me...i, of course, said nothing.......I've chirped enough. I'd appreciate any input in re to Erbitux and the Cyber Knife. --claudia

Husband 2/3 tongue removed March 2008. Free flap. . Stage IV. Radiation and 3 chemo's (cisplatin,taxol & erbitux). .Pet scan Aug 08 showed mets to lungs .Oct 08, recurrence. - In the arms of Jesus, July 15, 2009
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Oh Claudia, how awful getting that card! No wonder you are upset, that is terrible. Sure hope you dont now get more as the incorrect news spreads.

Sorry I dont have info on what you asked, just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear things arent good right now. Being a caregiver is such a hard job, its ok to cry. Everybody needs to cry sometimes.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Claudia I am so sorry that you were hurt further by the card from someone that I am sure meant well but was misinformed.

I just finished my Erbitux treatments Jan 2 so I can only tell you that so far so good. There are several others that have had the treatment though and I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions.

I will be thinking of you both and keep you in my prayers.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
35 rad 2006
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Claudia, I was given Erbitux in cunjunction with my chemo and radiation. It's worked great so far for me. It's getting rave reviews. When I get my check-ups, the Drs are always telling me more good news they've heard about it working so well. The FDA seems to love it. If I'm correct, it was first approved by the FDA for colorectal cancer, then H&N and now they are trying it on others. These anti-bodies are very promising. I'm sorry but I know nothing about the cyber knife. They used a real knife on me. I'm also sorry you got that card. My friend who's dealing with terminal cancer, she gets chemo one a week and so far it's keeping her alive, got a sympathy card in the mail for her. She just laughed but I think it hurt her, also. Take care and let us know how your hubby is doing. You caregivers have the toughest job of all, please take care of yourself. Hugs, Carol

DX 6/05 Rt Tonsil SSC advanced to lymph node. Stage 4b. RND, took tonsils, strips off the back of tongue, throat and nose. 19 lymph nodes removed only 1 bad. Once healed, 7 weeks of treatment including 35 IMRT, 7 Cisplatin, 7 Erbitux and 35 nasty Amophostine. Almost 11 yrs out now. Woooo Hoooo!

I had 8 treatments of Erbitux. I had some pretty severe rash/acne reactions which the doctor said was good news. The more reaction the more effective it is in treating the cancer they tell me. I wound up with hundreds of pimples on my face, scalp,neck and upper back. Less so on my chest. It left a good deal of scarring, something like you'd expect to see with severe acne in a teenager. I can live with it. I am alive and doing well now, 6 months out of treatment.

Dx 5/08
Stage 3 SCC
No primary ever found
Completed 35 IMRT tx 8/13/08.
Taxatol, cisplatin and erbitux weekly for 8 weeks.
No surgery
PEG
PET/CT Clear 11/08

Thank you all for your responses. The little bit of hope will get me through the day. One more thing that is bothering me. Help me out here someone please. I had 3 opinions from 3 drs.
Two said to try Taxol and one doctor said Erbitux . I chose the Taxol treatment which didn't work. Maybe if I would have started with the Erbitux Jim would be better off today. Now, I feel guilty !!!! He started out with Cisplatin while he was going thru radiation last year, then the taxol, now to start Erbitux. He is completely bald (i tell him he looks cute) anyway, will his hair start coming back soon ? It doesn't matter, but he was asking me......I told him that I would check with my friends on the board. I want everyone to know that I read everybodys posts and my heart goes out to everybody. I'm not very computer savvy and I can't keep everybody straight, but I want everyone to know that when i read a post and don't respond , I think and prayer for everybody every single day, so please don't think I'm ignoring anybody. What a group we have here....!!!!!!!! Noone else really knows what we are going through -----Love, Clod

Husband 2/3 tongue removed March 2008. Free flap. . Stage IV. Radiation and 3 chemo's (cisplatin,taxol & erbitux). .Pet scan Aug 08 showed mets to lungs .Oct 08, recurrence. - In the arms of Jesus, July 15, 2009

Please don't feel guilty! My doctor has been really wonderful to say, here are your choices - here are the pros and cons, and there is NO wrong answer. Try not to spend any time regretting the steps you've taken so far. The 'what ifs' can really eat at you if you let them.

His hair should start coming back not too long after he's off the medication which makes it fall out. It takes time - in my case even when hair started to grow back, it was verrrrryyyyy sllllloooooowwwww.
Now I just shave it all off anyhow, I got used to the look! And I guess a bonus of being back on chemo again is I don't even have to do that but about every 5 days or so!
-Steve

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.

Claudia You have no reason to feel guilty. My surgeon told me that everyone's cancer is different and that is why everyone responds to treatments differently. Won't it be grand when they can genetically map the cancer by patient and then treat it on an individual basis? There was a very positive article in Cure about the Erbitux and I am sure there is information here in the Cancer in the News section. What I liked about it was it did not make me sick or cause me to lose more weight. smile

My hair also started to return shortly after I stopped the chemo and was having the Erbitux with radiation. At first it was really nappy but it got softer. Now it is coal black and gray instead of dishwater blonde, but I truly could care less. I comb it straight up for now because that is the way is seems to be growing and I can.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
35 rad 2006
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912