Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85844 12-10-2008 08:40 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

anybody had any experience with the new CVS generic version of Biotene Mouthwash (not the new PBF kind) ? The CVS ingredient list is exactly the same down to the same enzymes but the price is about 25% less a bottle. I just noticed it on our shelves yesterday.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I use generic products all the time..the 25% is probably the amount not spent on advertising

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Laclede has had the generic version tested by independent labs. As the formula and use of enzymes is patented, and they have successfully defended copies for many years now. The CVS version has so few actual enzymes in it, that it was not worth their lawsuit. It isn't even serious competition of any sort numerically. It is worse than a cheap imitation, it is something that does not do anything that it represents. Probably why it is not wildly poular or takkng any market share from them.

As a side note the GSK corporation bought the Biotene brand last month. Laclede will still manufacture it for them, but the Biotene brand is now owned by GSK.

It is an expensive product, not because the Pellico family made millions of dollars in selling it, they never really did. Michael was a scientist that wished to do good in the world after his father died of cancer. It is expensive because the INGREDIENTS are so expensive. There have been few imitations because once someone realizes what it costs to make it (properly) they lose interest in how small the profit margin is compared to making a conventional product like other toothpastes and mouth rinses that do not contain enzymes.

If you want to use the CVS product it does have some of the qualities, the moisturizers etc. but it does not contain enough of the expensive enzymes, and certainly not the PBF protein product to actually keep your mouth healthy.

I wish to state for the record that I have no interest in GSK (stocks etc.) they are not contributors to OCF, (though I wish I could get them to be) and I have known Michael Pellico for what he is; which is a true humanist for decades. He still drives a 6 year old Toyota to work everyday, and has little interest in things material. He likes to tinker in his laboratory, makes veterinary products that are enzyme based as well for his sisters vet products company, and is working on a vaginal product that has the same qualities as the oral products, as that is an area that suffers dryness with age, and increasing risk from fungal (Candida) and other infections. He gives much of his money away to the needy. A model of a man that there are few like in the world.

I have no reason to promote these products except I know them to work in myself, and I know the measure of the man behind the idea.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Brian

Thank you for taking the time to spell out the details involved. The CVS label explicitly urges you "to compare with Biotene". With all the money saved from not eating out much anymore, I can afford the price difference to get effective enzymes. I do like the PBF versions of the toothpaste and mouthwash which I just bought. In the marketplace, all too often the "sweetness" of a lower price, turns "bitter" with lower quality and comfort, especially with knockoffs. I probably should not have used the term "generic" since that implies the type of quality control used in prescription drugs. There are no such standards for CVS knockoffs.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507