Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TabWest Offline OP
OP Offline

Okay, well, what a road this has been so far and my Dad hasn't even officially started treatments.

we have gotten so much feedback from every Dr. we talked to and I swear the left hand didn't know what the right was thinking, but...I finally got on the phone. I live in IL and Dad lives in MI, which is where treatments will happen, but everytime he talked to someone they would tell him something different than the last.

So, I called all the offices and coordinated everything from Chemo port and PEG insertion, to tooth extrractions with the start date of treatments. They were literally sending my Dad in 10 different directions and no guidance.

Now it is set...he gets the PEG and chemo port on the 20th, then starts chemo on the 24th. Treatments for 5 days straight, and then 2 weeks w/out treatments. Another 5 days of treatments and then another 2 weeks w/out. At that point the radiation/chemo combined will start.

My brother and his family are moving to Michigan this weekend, and I am going to be down there for the first week of chemo.

I am writing everything down and these Dr's will grow to love me smile

They did change him from Stage 3 to Stage 4 due to the size of the tumor in his lymphnodes. I told my Dad that it all boils down to either the treatments will work or they won't...no matter what stage he is. He tends to listen to "negative" people too much.

I think just finally getting started will be a relief. He was diagnosed Feb.19th.

Have a great weekend!!

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Good for you, TabWest! Coordinating things long distance is a chore, I know, but that was good work you did. You were also absolutely correct in telling your dad that his results are the only ones that count. He is his own statistic and that is all he has to be concerned about. It is also great that things are moving along so quickly. You may tell him that there are many survivors on this forum, and certainly many more who don't know about this place, so there is lots of hope. Keep up the good work (get a large notebook!) and your positive attitude, and know that lots of people are pulling for your dad.
Joanna

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You go girl!!! Seems as you are doing everything you can to aid your Dad at this time. Great job getting so much done long distance.

Good you are aware that your Dad listens to the negative side of things...maybe you can counteract that with stories from this site...these boards are filled with people that have the most positive attitudes around. We are all more than statistics and everyone responds to treatment differently. Maybe you can print some things off the site for him to look at when things are quiet.

Keep us posted and tell him there is a group of people that are thinking of him and wishing him well.

Take care,
Dinah

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users