Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
emmak Offline OP
OP Offline

Husb has SCC that originated inside mouth. Now has fairly large tumor showing on his check & neck area. Has had no treatment & chooses not to. This past week I have found several spots beneath his full beard, that appear to be draining just a bit. Each day these appear a bit larger. My main worry at the moment is that he may have a bleeding out that I can't control. I have been told that this "sometimes" happens. Wondering if these spots are indicitive of him having a bleed.
I want to be prepared as best as possible.
Emma, wife of 77 yr old husband with SCC & alzheimer's.

Emma: husband age 77 with SCC and Alzheimer's. Having no treatment.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Emma- i don't believe the spots are bleeding. They are probably tumors. My husband has a large one in his neck. It is quite deep and drains continously. The bleeding issue comes into play when the tumor invades the arteries in the neck. Do you have a doctor you can call? I know your husband is not having treatment but maybe you could see someone to help manage the condition.

Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Emma, I am sorry that you have this to consider. (one of the many things in "the manual of life" that they forgot to give us at birth).
As his cancer advances, fistulas (openings) can develop which is natures way of getting the bad stuff to the outside of the body. These can drain and sometimes the matter that drains will have an odor. You should mention anything unusual to his doctor just to be sure. As far as bleeding goes, yes this could happen if the cancer invades one of the many major blood vessels in the neck. I don't know if a doctor can really tell if this is going to happen in a specific patient. The tumor growth might also cause breathing difficulties which can be relieved by a Tracheostomy.
I can't think of anything that makes this easier for you except the age old "take one day at a time" and in this case maybe one moment at a time. I would also offer that pain control should be something your doctors are very keen on.

Take time for yourself too....

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics