Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#839 03-07-2003 02:18 PM
TabWest Offline OP
OP Offline

Well, Dad saw the oncologist today. They said his other CT scans were all clear of anything cancer related. Did see some signs of emphesema in the lungs...but that is another issue. As for what we are dealing with now...the oral cancer is stage 3 and the biopsy results from the left side of neck were unclear, but they are "assuming" it is cancer at this point. He has 2 tumors there. The doctor told us this might happen, because he was unable to extract enough fluid through the FNA.

They are recommending 3 6 week cycles of treatment. Sounds like 6 weeks of chemo, followed by 6 weeks of radiation/chemo, and then 6 weeks of radiation. Does this sound right? All in all they told him to take off 20 weeks at work, and that is if all goes well.

They are pulling his bottom teeth prior to starting radiation. He has no upper teeth of his own, and bottoms are not good to start w/ due to years of drinking(although he has been sober for 12 years).YEA Dad! Also told him about inserting chemo port around the 19th and talked to him about feeding tube. They said possible to do both at same time, but not sure how that would work. Would he be able to keep eating as long as able, or if the tube is inserted would he go right to tube feeding??

He is having trouble w/ idea of losing all his teeth and the feeding tube, but I told him what I read here about it sounding horrible, but turning out to be easier to deal w/ than you would think. They did say a home nurse would tend to that.?.

I am planning on going back to Michigan to see him on the 15th and staying through his first few treatments. My brother will be moving there at same time.

Any input or thoughts on this very lengthy post are welcome and appreciated. I keep you all in my prayers...

Tabitha

#840 03-07-2003 05:41 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tabitha, the feeding tube is no big deal to put in or manage, and can be a life saver. Because he will be sedated for the PEG insertion, they could easily do the chemo port at the same time. As far as eating with the PEG, as long as he can swallow, he can eat anything he wants by mouth. The PEG is for nutrition, medication, and hydration if he is unable to take things by mouth. When my mouth was sore, I used to take my tube up to a faucet and "fill 'er up" to make sure I was getting enough water. We do have highly filtered water though, so I don't necessarily recommend this everywhere. As far as your dad losing his teeth, I am still angry that the piles of $$ I paid to a dentist didn't keep me from having upper and lower back teeth pulled prior to radiation. Honestly, that is the only time I cried. Don't know why that was such a big deal, but I can understand your dad's feelings. I came to feel, however, as will he, that in the grand scheme of things, being alive is more important than a few teeth, which can be replaced anyway when all is said and done. That is great news about the CT scans! You and your brother and dad are going to have a lot of questions, so just ask away, and there will undoubtedly be someone who will have an answer for you.
Joanna
P.S. One more thing. Use the search function to find out everything you want to know and more about PEG tubes, as this has been much discussed on this forum.

#841 03-08-2003 04:48 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I wouldn't let them pull my teeth. But if his teeth were not in good shape he runs a much higher risk of osteoradionecrosis. Be SURE to ask if he is a candidate for IMRT. The difference being using a sniper rifle vs. a shotgun. I would insist on IMRT if at all possible.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#842 03-09-2003 09:07 AM
TabWest Offline OP
OP Offline

We will be talking to the radiologist specifically about the option of IMRT. I Will let you know what they say. We are definetely interested in this route if it is available to us.

I talked to dad a little more about the PEG. Told him it just makes sense to have it inserted at the same time as the port, and then if he needs it, it is there. I think the teeth thing he will adjust to. Although easy for me to say, nobody wants to pull mine out. smile

I am going back to Michigan on the 15th through the 2oth. I think he will be having the chemo port put in then, and I want to do somethings for him before treatment starts. One of which would be take him out to eat.

Thanks again for all of your input on all of my posts. You all are so helpful!

Tabitha

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics