Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#82197 10-16-2008 06:44 PM
Malka Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

I have decided to go ahead with reconstruction of my mandible with a fibula free flap if circulation in my legs is good. The surgery will be in December. I have an appointment next week with the prosthodontist who will be on the team. The plastic surgeon trained at SloanK and is the only one doing this surgery here. Of course my ENT oncologist will also participate. I have been told that I will be in ICU for a few days, in the hospital for 2 weeks, and have several months of followup therapy.
Thanks to all who responded to the thread started by August requwesting information on this procedure.
I had swallowing problems before OC and have to have my esophagus dilated every few years. With half a mandible I only have 2 teeth to chew with and 2 to bite/nibble food. I have to be very careful to eat tiny bites and chew well or I choke. My bite is shifting and the numbness of part of the tongue from surgery sometimes gives me problems. I am afraid that if I wait too long, I may have serious choking.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

Malka,
I have read quite a bit of material about this procedure and if I were in your position and able to have it done I would. The benefits certainly outweigh the risks, in my opinion.
I know that from beginning to end it will not be an easy path but, easy disapperead when they said it was cancer. You have obviously done your research and due diligence about this procedure from what I have read and have a good team of doctors. What is the prosthodontist saying about final prosthesis or teeth?
I am sure you are much more knowledgeable about the subject than am I and I know you will keep us all up to date when you can.
I wish you all the best and you are in my thoughts and prayers.
If I can be of any assistance let me know, I'm here whenever you need me.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Malka:

You have always inspired me with your bravery. Wishing you the best possible outcome with your continued tx on the road to recovery. Sometimes it sure is difficult to continue all these procedures trying to get well. You have been and will continue to be a part of my prayers.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Malka, I wrote you a long note here......dunno what happened to it....You'll have angiogram first, to determine whether or not your circulation is good enough to support the tissue after it is transferred, and, I suppose, to be sure that the donor site will heal also....Then they will do, I think, a CT from which a fancy acrylic 3-D mold will be made to show every single bone in your head. The fibular graft seems to be the "gold standard" and for the mandible, the best choice of procedures. I know that you are in good hands down there is N.O. I'll keep track of you here, and I would always enjoy hearing from you by email. When do you plan to begin this process? I think that you'll be soso glad you did it, after that initial yukky period of recovery. You go, girl! Good for you! ....It's a brave, but realistic decision.

XOX

Last edited by August; 10-17-2008 09:54 PM.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Malka Offline OP
OP Offline

Colleen,
The medical marathon begins this week.Monday I will call the dermatologist because I have a spot on my hand that looks suspicious. That will probably take three or four visits.
I see the prosthodontist Thursday. The CT of my head (I hope they don't look at my scrambled brain), check of lower extremities for circulation and a panorex are being done Friday. I will also have annual CT of the kidneys then. Next week I go for the surgeon for check on healing from the breast cancer. (David - how's Martha?)
I have been able to schedule some double appointments - one day I see the ENT and urologist at TU and on anothe day I go to the dentist and internist who are in the same building. At least I'll save a little on gas!
I see the surgeon the 21st of Nov. and hopefully the surgery will be the first or second week of Dec.
Now I have to find time to do a little shopping. I need a new raincoat w liner - mine is shot and very old. I also need a new warm coat as the one I have is very bulky and is heavy around the neck. Such problems LOL.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

Malka,

Good luck with the surgery. You are a trooper and an inspiration to us all. I have no doubt that you will have a great outcome.

You will be in my prayers.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Malka,

Good luck to a great person. Martha & I will be waiting to hear your next post.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Malka- You will come thorugh this with flying colors...and a new coat. Best of luck!

Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.

Malka,
Let me know what brand and where you find that raincoat with a liner. I've been looking for one for years including last week and can't find a decent one.

Sounds like you'll be running a marathon of doctor appointments. Hope everything works out for you and you can have the surgery. Keep us posted.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

I heard about these beltless raincoats that are suppose to be the rave of the future...and be very careful about walking in any wine store wearing that big puffy winter jacket.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37