Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Malka Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

We don't wear down here. My coat is a "wash and wear mink." It is fake fur on one side and fake suede on the other. The collar makes a hood. It weighs a few pounds.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

Malka,
My favorite coat is a jacket from Cabela's. I tis Goretex, feels like a windbreaker, has a detachable polartec liner, a hood. I love it. It is so easy to wear and light to carry around. Go to www.cabelas.com
they are not very pretty, but I would think easier, lighter and warmer would be ok. I have had mine for 4 years now.
Donna

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
Malka Offline OP
OP Offline

RE: raincoat
I still haven't found the all weather coat here in my size range - petites although the stores do have them in regular sizes. London Fog makes several styles and one of the stores has petites in their on line catalogue but not in stores. I will either have them order it for me or just get it myself online from them. I am a big advocate of shopping locally especially since Katrina.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Malka Offline OP
OP Offline

Good news today.
I had a "double date" - saw the ENT at ll AM and the Urologist at 1 PM. CT showed no difference in the kidneys since last year. That means come January it will be 5 years for the kidneys.
The ENT told me to come back after the other appointment. In the meantime he spoke w the surgeon who then met with us and told us what to expect and took a few mug shots. I asked about the actual proceedure because I find the details fascinating. He showed us a photo of a free flap (real) and I thought my husband was going to fall off the chair. I think he looked at the camera and not the picture when he saw that it was a red mass! grin
I now have a date for the surgery - December 11. I will not be able to put weight on my leg for a while. Big problem - we have a two story townhouse with no bedroom downstairs and only a half bath. I told the ENT I could always go outside and be hosed down instead of taking a shower or bath. He said I may have to go to a rehab center for a while after discharge. Oh well, that's a Scarlet problem - I'll worry about it tomorrow.
I want to thank all who have been so informative and supportive about the free flap surgery. A special tearful thanks for Minnie. Her response helped me make this decission.
Malka

Support OCF
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Malka

In April this year I had nearly all of my mandible replaced and rebuilt with bone from my hip and a tongue flap reconstruction and was in hospital for nearly 3 weeks.

My home is one level, but I was also told where possible to keep away from stairs early after the surgery - not long after though I had no problems with stairs at all.

In my situation they also managed to save the nerves to my mouth that can be extremely difficult to keep in intact and not damage (not sure what all the technical terms are) so I was fortunate enough not to lose any feeling and movement at the side of my mouth and in my lips.

I sincerely hope that everything goes well and you have a super speedy recovery.

Thinking of you

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Milka,
I had the very same surgery you are facing. Mine was done at the Mayo Hospital. The surgery was very long (14 hours). Part of my fibula was used to rebuild the mandible. I was in the hospital for two and a half weeks. I had a trach and didn't talk for about a week, but there is nothing wrong with your brain and you can certainly write notes and tell people of your concerns. The very next day I was walking with the help of a physical theropist. I was told to put pressure on my leg where a portion of the bone was removed, but to pretend that I was walking on a cracker and to be careful not to break the cracker. After three days I could walk normally. Get out of bed and wolk as soon as possible. Even around the hospital corridor by your room. Moving helps you gain stregth, but aids in your recovery. A very positive attitude is imperative. Tell yourself I can do this and everyday I will get better. It works. I was driving with in a month of the surgery. I wish you a successful surgery and a very speedy recovery.

Hacklene

Hacklene

Malka- My husband had that surgery and the leg pain was not too bad. He did have a wheelchair for a short time to get into doctors offices from parking lots. It would also be helpful to have a cane for awhile. He really didn't have very much trouble getting around and we used a shower chair. The overall result to the face was great. Best of luck.

Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Don't sweat the shower stuf -- It's a habit, not a real need, to shower daily -- The nurses in hospital don't push it, so why should you? A daily damp towel bath will more than suffice until the stairs can be conquered.

Personally, I did my best to avoid a rehab or skilled nursing facility (aka SNF, known to the med profession as a "sniff")because I KNOW from previous experience that I heal much better at home than anywhere else.

If you still have the trach when you are discharged, you will most likely need a suction machine.

BTW, here's a blow-by-blow of my own free-flap surgery, but I didn't have any bone work done:

http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=75331&page=all

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.

Hey Malka,
Proud of you for being so brave. I will be thinking of
you. I know everything will work out for you because
of your positive attitude.
Keep in touch
Debbie

Partial mandibulectomy and neck dissection 2/3/07. T2NOMO.
Had 14 hour operation which included reconstruction of jaw.
Reconstruction failed. Some radiation, no chemo.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Malka,

Good luck with the surgery. I have no doubt that you will continue to be the wonder woman that we all know.

How did the meeting go this week?

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37