Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I had a PET/CT scan prior to treatment, then one about 3 months after treatment, and again at 5 months, due to what turned out to be false positives.

I have ongoing appointments with my MO, RO and the Surgical Oncoloogist/ENT. The first year I was seen every 90 days by each doctor, staggered so that I saw somebody every month. This year, they have extended a bit to every four months, which staggers out to about 6 weeks between appointments. The surgical oncologist/ENT, and the RO do extensive examinations of the head and neck. The MO does a more cursory examination, but I have a blood draw every visit with him, and a Chest X Ray every other visit. He also does a more thorough examination of lungs, abdomen, etc.

All in all, I feel I am pretty well prodded, poked and otherwise assessed on a regular basis. ;-)

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Gabe,

My doc does an ultrasound of my neck before every follow up visit. He says the technicians at MDACC are so skilled he thinks that is a better protocol to follow in my case since my tumor was not an aggressive type. It works for me...

Cancer of Tongue, SCC early Stage 1, Dx 3/13/07, partial glossectomy 4/14/07 found no residual carcinoma and a granular cell tumor with pseudo epitheliomatous hyperplasia.
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Thank you all for your input on follow up examinations.
The 2008 updated guidlines also further clarifies for me what follow up exams should be performed for my Dx.
I will print out your replies and the relevant pages for my Dx from the protocols and take it with me when I have the 2 year check soon.
Karen,
how is your husband doing now and did you get any further information from the surgeon re no chemo or radiation required?
Cheers
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

HI!
I need to choose a place for workup and treatment.I live in Cincinnati, OH and have heard horror stories about our local University Hospital. I am seriously looking at going to M.D. Anderson in Houston for workup and surgery even though its a lot more work. Have you ever heard anything less than excellent about the level of care and outcomes from M. D. Anderson?

Thanks.

Mike

DX SCC right lateral tongue 12/01/08

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Please go to the additional resources page of the main web site. One there choose the topic heading that says databases. One of the very first listings there is a link that it titled, "best hospitals". You will now be taken to a list of the top 50 cancer hospitals in the US, updated every 6 months. MDACC is at the very top of the list. If you read through how they come to their listing order, there are many factors, not the least of which is survival rates. In all this, two things to remember. One that the disease is very unforgiving of half measures, or incomplete primary treatments. The second is that you only get one chance to make the best choice that you can. If you choose MDACC there are inexpensive fully equipped apartments for rent right next to the hospital that social services can hook you up with for the couple of months you will want to be there if you do not have family or friend in the immediate area. For me that was the hot set up. The top ten are full of hospitals ion the east coast if you have family in that area, any one of which I would feel good about going to. I was diagnosed in November and went through treatment in Dec and Jan with a return for surgery in Feb. Winter in Houston is way better than winter in the north east. I went to treatments in jeans and a T shirt.... way better than slushing though a couple feet of snow... and cheerier to be in during a depressing time.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Wouldn't argue with MD Anderson, but also check out the Arthur C. James Cancer Hospital & Solove Research Institute in Columbus. They have an excellent reputation, especially in Head & Neck cancer. I have been very pleased with my treatment and recovery course, and know several long term survivors.

Worth a look.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

I must agree with Jeff. The James Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of the better Cancer Centers and we can't leave out Cleveland. Another closer Hospital for you is the Wheeling Shiffler Comprehensive Cancer Center in Wheeling, WVa at Wheeling Hospital.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Maura Gillison from Hopkins is moving to James the beginning of January. They have recently received a huge long-term endowment and are recruiting the best from institutions all over the US.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Please emaile me your reasons for not going to Cincy...I was recomended to go there and I am scheduled onthe 22nd for my partial glossectomy & neck dissection.

*Shaylynn*
11.25.08 SCC of tongue diagnosed @ age 23 T2N2cM0
12.20.2008 Partial glossectomy & left neck dissection. Clear margins.
6.24.09-Pet Scans show 2 areas of concern
8.5.09-Recurrence-Perotid Gland and swollen node removal
9.29.09 Carboplatin & Taxol x8 Tomo x39
11.19.09 WILL COMPLETE TREATMENTS!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260