Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#78767 08-15-2008 07:07 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Folks I have recently been surfing the net and found a site. I know that conventional theropy is proven to beat cancer. But is it not possible that there are other ways.

I guess I am wondering about "microwaving cells" "hyperthermia" I am reading about a Medical Center in the States that has claims. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this. It is supported by definate real people. I just was wondering if anybody has heard of this process before.

I am wondering if there really are less invasive ways to kill off cancer. I mean working together with conventional. I am no stranger to holistic measures and just now realizing how much diet can play.

Since I have been diagnosed I have discovered a japenese green tea that has been studied by the mayo clinic. If anything it is helping with smoking every time I crave one take a swallow of the tea and the craving goes away. I also seem to have more energy.

So in short I was just wondering about this alternative treatment. Some testimonials didn't even have the surgery. If it isn't true how can they get away with saying it does and get people's hopes up?
Thanks

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

I think the TomoTherapy machine acomplishes about the same thing as a microwave.

You can stick a fork in me, but I think after 23 session (nearly 12 hours) I am quite well cooked!

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11

DonB #78781 08-15-2008 08:57 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

You don't put up the sites you found that you think had valuable alternatives. It's hard for any of us here to comment without looking at what you are reading.

Alternative therapies have been discussed here a lot. We are not big advocates of alternative, however - complimentary, that's another thing altogether.

There are certainly lots of "new" ideas out there. IF you read our news stories we have been following nano particles for several years which may prove in the future, to be a very targeted way of attaching themselves only to cancer cells, and then have a specific therapy be able to identify and just work on those cells. This is really interesting stuff. Is it going to be available in the next few years? Not likely.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thanks I have been trying to find stuff out not real computer literate...Didn't want to cross any lines of the site trying to be respectful. I am not sure I am understanding the difference between alternative and complementary. I thought they were the same thing. Complementary and alternative both being diet, vitamins, which add to surgery. Is not radiation and chemo a complementary to the cure of surgery. Guess I must be totally mixed up with all of this and will go back and try to find the place where you talked about "new" ideas. I didn't think I could put up the site I was at but it is Saint Joseph Medical Center not sure where it is but I just stumbled upon it.

Thanks guys...

Dianne..treatment at cc at Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario...insulin dependant, Surgery Sept 8/08 Tracheotomy,composite resection and bilateral neck dissection, left radial forearm free flap... T2N0 squamous cell carcinoma. No radiation A little over 2 yrs clear YAY

Looking good doesn't mean good. Usually it means lining someones pocket with the Great Green. Beware of rpomises bearing gifts. They sometime hold traps to nab us.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #78817 08-16-2008 02:00 PM

THat was promises LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Well in the simplest terms, alternative is just that, a choice different than what we might consider mainstream treatments. Complimentary means that it is something that adds to (compliments) our existing standard of care treatments. If people choose not to go with what we know scientifically works... for whatever reason, and choose to try herbal cures, faith healing, cure by diet choices, and similar things, then those people are better served finding a site that has like kinds of people on it. This is because OCF, and it's doctors that compose our science advisory board, recommend those current mainstream clinical treatments that are contemporary and being used in the top cancer treatment facilities in the US. These treatments which are the current standard of care (which is reflected in many forms, such as the NCCN guidelines which you can see on the main site), are not absolutes, but they are based on clinical evidence of efficacy. We know the ups and downsides of them, and given the alternatives, they are the treatments of choice BASED ON CLINICAL EVIDENCE, NOT SOMEONE'S OPINION OR TESTIMONIAL. When you find sites with testimonials, that is a red flag that they are promoting something that is more likely to separate you from your money than your disease.

Things can compliment these SOC treatments in many ways, in not all of which is there hard evidence to prove that they really do help, but there exists enough anecdotal evidence to know that they at least do no harm. For instance, proper diet and nutrition is complimentary to treatments, even supplementation with vitamins etc. likely has a complimentary effect, but it is not black and white. There is evidence that some of what seems logical, like taking over the counter antioxidants during treatment, may have a detrimental effect on the success or effectiveness of the treatments. So in all this we ask people to follow their doctor's recommendations, and if they wish to add something to the mix, that they treating staff is aware that they are doing so.

We have had numerous people come here over the years that appear to be more afraid of the treatments than the disease. They invariably, early in their illness, choose to try an "alternative" that has few of the significant negative side effects of radiation or chemo etc. By the time they find out that their alternative is not working, and make a choice to submit to the mainstream treatments which most cancer patients survive through, it is often too late for those treatments to be effective, as the disease has progressed. Each time this has happened it is a sad experience for all involved. We do our best to discourage these kinds of people from this path, but fear is often much stronger than logic. I personally have stopped trying to change people's minds about this as logic and reasoning seldom works. So in the end, while we discuss complimentary things on these boards, we do not discuss alternative healing methods.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thank you for helping me with this one. I do not wish to take chances with this disease and yes the fear of possible radiation and extensive surgery, I won't lie, is really scaring me as well as the fact that we really have no choice but to go with what is proven to work or the alternative is do nothing and die. I know many people have worn and are in these shoes. Every day there is more. Your knowledge and experience is all I was hoping for and you helped me out a great deal. Like a lot of people I would like to believe that there can be a better way to cure this than the effects of radiation. Also like a lot of people in this situation would love to have the power to made it just poof disappear. Reality is I do believe in a higher power not necessarily God so to speak and do believe and have seen miracles happen. There is a reason for everything even if we as humans don't see it. I also believe that god helps those who help themselves and the power of prayer can be very strong. Seeking and getting help from the medical professionals is first necessary and to praying to get help through is the miracle.

You mentioned something about over the counter antioxidents interferring with the treatment. I presently am drinking a green tea that is helping me at the moment quitting smoking and giving me energy. It has been studied by researchers at the Mayo Clinic and has definate effect on cancer cells. (I have a web site and don't know if anyone would like it.) I am going to let the drs know that I am drinking it to find out how soon to stop before surgery. I have also read about special diets and some foods that cancer feeds off of. I don't want to do anything to interfere with my fight to be cancer free at the same time if there are diets and foods that help I want to know that too. I have always been holistic minded and I have found some things to work and others just a waste of money.

I would like to thank you for you knowledge, imput and patience with me Brian and other members. Like most just trying to find answers.

Keep up the great work.

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Green tea hasn't been a problem in anything that I have read. There is no reason not to drink it or take it as a powdered supplement if you desire that I know of.

While we are all afraid of the treatments, and I don't think there is anyone out here that wouldn't jump at an easier alternative, it just isn't there today.... we are getting closer though. Our children will likely have an easier go of all this than we do. Even the progress that has been made in radiation in the last 10 years since I went through before IMRT, has reduced collateral damage / morbidity to people, reduced long term quality of life issues, and better targeted the disease itself. So it is getting better. That does not mean that it has become any walk in the park, as you can clearly read from people's experiences here, but the treatments are more successful, targeted therapies are beginning to be available like Erbitux, and more.

Just try and keep in mind the big picture, life after all this, and what you will take away from this experience. Many people here, in spite of the difficulty, both physically and emotionally to do this dance, post that their lives have often been transformed in positive ways by the process. Of course this is always a retrospective comment, but it is worth noting. More than that, one day with this experience in your rearview mirror, you will reach out to help someone else that does not have your experience or first hand knowledge, that needs someone to listen to their concerns - and you will be the enabler in their process to understand and deal with their battle. You will likely even tell people that are healthy about this journey, and they will know enough to perhaps avoid the risk factors that bring people to this. If you believe that your life has a purpose, perhaps that purpose will be realized in what you do after this, and this is only part of the process that gives you the inner strength to accomplish that.

Clearly you have a spiritual side. Those that do, often have an easier emotional journal than others. For some, faith is the one thing that makes the journey possible. In looking at all the possible assets you can bring to bear on getting through the journey some are no further away for you than what you believe and think.

OP Offline

You are very eliquant (gosh my spelling needs work) and a gem of a find!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics