Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76635 07-07-2008 06:33 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I have researched and read alot on here about Vitamin B helping with fatigue. I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday and I want him to give me a prescription for the vitamin B I need to help with the fatigue. What I need to know is which vitamin B to get. I have been told vitamin B, vitamin B complex, concentrated vitamin B complex and vitamin B-12. Does anyone know which of these I need to ask for. I know there is a prescription strength and it has a generic which I get for free with my insurance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Billy

Dx Mar 07 with Base Of Tongue Stage IV. IMRT 35x with 3 doses Cysplatin ran concurrent. Tx ended May 31,07. Left and right node involved. Radical neck disection 7/18/07
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Actually you do not need an Rx for any of this. Some believe that B12 does the energy thing. But in our bodies it is seldom any single vitamin or whatever acting alone. When you get your particular nutrient from a food source rich with it - say C from oranges or whatever, there is evidence that there are micro phytonutrients that act synergistically with the main ingredient that actually make it work better, be absorbed easier, etc. This can get very complex when you consider all the possible interactions, some vitamins only are absorbed well when taken with a particular other vitamin or nutrient..... not as easy as just taking B12 when you really look at it. The main OCF web site goes into all these aspect of nutrition in detail. Start on the facts page and work your self deeper into the sublinks.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Just wanted to add that I considered taking B-12 supplements when I was fighting fatigue. It turned out my throid ahd shut down and the B-12 wouldn't have helped. Have you had your thyroid checked?

Also, at the time I was looking into that, I did read that it's actually important to get balanced amounts of the different B vitamins and there are some nutritionists who think taking B-12 alone can do more harm than good. If you go for a supplement, I would look for one that has high amounts of all the B vitamins. Better yet, though, if you can eat fairly normally, is to try to find foods rich in B vitamins.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

I had a Dr give me a B-12 shot one time a few years ago. Man talk about the energizer bunny, LOL , I was it for a couple of months. Have you noticed how much Vitamin D is being talked about lately? I een read about it in the Mayo Clinic newsletters I get online. It's been on the national news a few times too in the past few weeks.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I also had a B12 shot and yeah it was great but i wore off and I haven't had another. I did take a couple of months to wear off so thanks EzJim for reminding me about it. I will get one tommorrow. Yes I feel as though I could sleep forever yet I have insomimia go figure. What are they saying about Vitamin D? I came on to see how everyone was doing and came upon this and it struck home. Hard. I was looking for information on Trismus and of course I found that too. I love this site! It is my dictionary for everything I feel. I hope it is as useful to everyone else as it is to me.

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

My mother used to get the Vitamin B12 shots every few years. she knew when she needed the boost and would ask the doctor for an injection.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

Vitamin D is one of the few supplements that has been shown to be associated with a decrease in occurences of several types of cancer. Many people are deficiant in naturally prduced Vit. D. Your body need to be in direct sunlight to produce it and most of us aren't out in the sun enough (without sunscreen) for that. Let alone those of us who live in areas of the coujntry without a lot of sunny days. Supplements have been shown to make a difference and be effective. I have to grind up pills and flush them down my tiube because I can't swallow even the smallest and because of that I don't take tons of supplements but I take 800 IU of Vit. D everyday.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Based on what I know, any artificial vitamins can at times do more harm than good, unless you have a defficiency. It is best to consume vitamins by eating a lot of fruits and vegetables (perferably, organic ones to avoid pesticides and other junk).

Most vitamins are sold without prescription. B-12 defficiency is quite common among elderly people, and some people that take some anti-adic medication like Prilosec. You can go to your primary medical doctor and ask him to do a blood and include a test for B-12. That way, you will know if you have a defficiency.

I read some articles that recommend B-12 supplementation even if one does not have a defficiency to maintain a healthy energy level. I checked my B-12 level and it was normal but a bit close to the lower limit. So I took some B-12. I don't think I noticed any differene, but it did not seem to hurt me (did not experience any noticeable side effects). One interesting thing about B-12 in tablets is that its absorbtion is very low, so don't be surprised to see the daily dose % on the bottle in thousands of %. Only small part of that will actually be processed by your body.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-B12/NS_patient-vitaminb12

Just a link to some of the most recent and persuasive research on the relationship of Vit. D to cancer. Notice the health recommendation is slightly more sun exposure (if you can and if you haven't had skin cancer), as WELL AS supplements.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070206100608.htm

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23