Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

i am here honey.I have sent an e-mail to your personal address,and a pm .xxx

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I'm sure others with more knowledge will post but can't you get Hospice involved now. From what I've read they will wonders for the both of you.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Paula- My thoughts are with you right now. The process has started with my husband as well. I think I realize it more than he does. I wish I could give you a hug-we both need one!

Sue

cg to husband, 48 Stage 1V head and neck SCC. First surgery 9/07. Radiation and several rounds of chemo followed. Mets to chest and lungs. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." Went home to God on February 22, 2009.
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Did the oxycotin help? What all is he taking? Have they explained that he needs to be taking that around the clock and then supplimenting with the breakthru meds between those doses?
Have to get the pain under control, he does not need to have any pain. There is no 'toughing' it out anymore.....comfort is a good thing, and necessary! Anything for anxiety/depression/fear/complete devastation? Need that too.
Do you need a lil' somthin for those also. I know I did. Just a lil' bit takes the edge off the trauma's of what daily life is right now. Linda

Jordan's Mom. Linda
She fought the fight with courage, hope and dedication. Ten months of battling tongue cancer. They thought they had it after each treatment. Not to be. Christa died at 32 y/o in Nov. '07.
Bailey4 #76542 07-05-2008 02:02 PM
OP Offline

It seems that his pain is under control for now. We went to the house this morning to check on the progress of the workers and when he came home, he wanted his head shaved - that was a new experience for me. The Dr.'s told him he would lose it and he might as well shave it off.

Linda - you're right, I probably need something for me to take the edge off - but I don't know what would be able to do that for me.

Sue - Liz sent me some great information about the process and it really helped. You might ask her if she would mind sending it to you as well. She is very, very good at understanding the pain that we are enduring as she has definately walked the walk and continues to do so. I just think that Jim was in so much pain that he was ready to toss in the towel; because he has such a high tolerance for pain, it must be very, very bad. I'll be out of town for a few days as Jim wants his parents to meet my mother - wish me luck....remember she's the one that continues to tell me "you knew he had cancer when you married him".

Hand in there, Sue - - - we are all praying for you.

Caregiver to Husband 50 yrs.young-non smoker/non-drinker; Stage IV - all treatments stopped August 2009
Lost the battle November 23, 2010
OP Offline

Well we went to the oncologist on Wednesday and Jim's white blood cell count is very low. She is only going to give him (2) more taxotere treatments and then scan him in August. He has lost 11 lbs. in 2 weeks which was concerning her as well. She did mention that the pain he was experiencing last week was that he had built up a tolerance to the pain meds and needed to up the dosage. She said it was not indicative of the tumors growing. At least that made me feel a little better....

The house is a disaster - his brother ran the jobsite while we took a quick trip out of town so that his parents could meet my mother. They started to roof the house, left for the evening without a tarp on it and low and behold, murphy's law visited, it poured down rain and soaked the inside of the house...so now it's going to cost us more in money, but more importantly time!

I hate this dreaded disease!

Caregiver to Husband 50 yrs.young-non smoker/non-drinker; Stage IV - all treatments stopped August 2009
Lost the battle November 23, 2010
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users