Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sue G #76706 07-09-2008 09:56 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Don,
I had an unknown primary back in 1997 with mets to one node in the neck. I was barely a stage III. I had a neck dissection followed by 36 XRT radiation treatments, no chemo. At that time they did not feel that chemo added more than a 5% chance to survival and the side effects were too great to warrant using it. They were also certain that the XRT would get everything. My radiation field ran from the tops of my ears to almost my armpits since there was no primary site to aim at. I struggled through without a peg and without losing more than 5lbs by drinking Ensure Plus. I think I had far less complications than most because I didn't have chemo.

Read the board and ask your doc lots of questions until you feel comfortable with your treatment plan. Keep us posted.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Eileen #76709 07-09-2008 10:46 AM
DonB Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Eileen
Glad to meet ya wink
I was wondering if in 1997 when you were diagnosed with an Unknown Primary if back then you also had a PET Scan?

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11

DonB #76713 07-09-2008 11:30 AM

Hi Don,
No, I did not have a PET scan until the new cancer in 2001. I'm not certain that Pet scans existed in 1997. I was at a major CCC, Hospital of the University of Pa or HUP as it is known. However, I don't know if they always have the latest up to date equipment. There are so many good hospitals in Philadelphia I think they sometimes use each others fancy machines rather than installing one in every location.

The doctor took many sample biospies in my mouth when he did the neck dissection and they all came back negative. I have no tonsils. Primary had most likely been at the back of my throat where a bad cigarrete had burned a hole when I lit it 4 months prior to the diagnosis.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
davidcpa #76715 07-09-2008 11:46 AM
DonB Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi David,

Lets see if I can get some answers to your questions!

Regarding the Unknown Primary.
The oral exam by my ENT didn't show anything unusual.
Then I had a PET Scan that just showed SCC in the two lymph Nodes.
During Surgery they removed the two lymph nodes, my Tonsils and took oral and throat biopsies from all suspect sites, but in my case the ENT said nothing really even look unusual and the biopsies were all negative.
During Surgery another doctor did a throat procedure (scoped my throat?)but again found nothing unusual and those biopsies were all negative.

I am 62 and I am a ex-smoker. I quit some five or so year ago. I smoked about a half pack a day back then and years before closer to a pack a day. I don't known if it caused the SCC or not.

With an Unknown Primary and everything appearing normal, so far none of the doctors seem to be speculating on a cause. One Medical Oncologist also mention HPV. I am not sure if I have been tested yet, but based on her questions and my answers, I don't think I am a good candidate.

I am being treated in metro San Diego. The TomoTherapy machine is at Sharp-Grossmont's David & Donna Long Center for Cancer Treatment in La Mesa California (a suburb of SD) My chemo will also be administered at that Medical Complex. My ENT and one of my two MO's is at Sharp-Memorial Medical Complex in San Diego. Both of these Sharp Medical Complexes are about 10 miles from my home Sharp is one of the major providers here(http://www.sharp.com).

So far the biggest problem for me has been psychologically adapting to the PEG -- of course they just put it in six days ago.

Everyone tells me to eat, eat, eat, but since getting this PEG I get heartburn if eat much at all :<

Don
HiRes CT 6/21/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08

Eileen #76717 07-09-2008 12:37 PM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

hi there

i found this information on the cancerbackup web site
hope it helps.Unknown pimary is called an occult primary tumour so you might find more if you search using that.
Unknown primary tumour
This information is about unknown primary tumours (UPTs), which are also sometimes called an occult primary malignancy (OPM). It is only natural to be in a state of shock when you have been diagnosed with cancer. It is all the harder to accept when doctors do not seem to be able to identify where the cancer is. This is a fairly rare situation, but one which can cause a lot of distress
A malignant tumour (cancer) is made up of millions of cancer cells. Some of these cells may break away from the original (primary) tumour, and spread to other parts of the body where they may form new tumours. These new tumours are referred to as metastases, or secondary tumours.

The secondary cancer is usually made up of exactly the same type of cancer cells as the primary cancer. This means, for example, that if someone has primary lung cancer that has spread to form secondary tumours in the bones, these bone secondaries will be made up of lung cancer cells. These are quite different from the abnormal bone cells that would form a primary bone cancer. The treatment used for these secondary bone cancers would be designed to treat lung cancer cells, not bone cancer cells.

Some secondary tumours, however, are made up of cells which cannot be identified under the microscope because they look too abnormal, and so it is not possible to tell what kind of a primary cancer they have come from.

Unknown primary tumours
For most people who have cancer, the primary cancer is easy to identify, as their symptoms will have alerted their doctor to the likely cause, and this will have been confirmed by the tests done at the hospital.

In people with an unknown primary tumour, the tests will have found evidence of a secondary cancer but will not have been able to identify the site of the primary cancer.

Why the doctors may not find the primary tumour

There are a number of possible reasons for why the primary might not have been found:
theprimary tumour may have disappeared spontaneously because your immune system may have destroyed the primary tumour, but not the secondaries.The secondaries may have grown and spread very quickly, while the primary is still too small to be seen on x-rays or scans.The primary tumour may be impossible to see on x-rays or scans because it is hidden by several larger secondaries that have grown close to it.It is thought that sometimes tumours of the lining of the digestive system may have been passed out of the body through the bowel.

Tests and investigations
Your doctor may want to do a number of tests in order to try to identify the primary cancer. Exactly which tests you will be asked to have will depend on the clues the doctor has already picked up � for example, the symptoms you have had, your medical history, and where your secondary cancer is.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to describe here all the possible tests that you may be asked to consider. Your doctor, however, should describe to you the purpose of each test.

Tests will probably include an x-ray and a CT scan, blood tests, urine tests and a biopsy (the removal of a small sample of the secondary tumour for examination in the laboratory).

Although it can sometimes be helpful, there is often no real benefit in finding out where the primary cancer started. Your doctors will carefully choose only those tests they feel are absolutely necessary, rather than put you through lots of investigations and tests that may take time and be very tiring, but not make a difference to your overall care.

Information can help to reduce your frustration. Ask your doctor or the other staff looking after you to explain what the tests you are having involve, why they are being done, and what the results mean. If you don't understand their explanation at first, ask again. You may find it helpful to write down the questions you want to ask

good luck
liz

Last edited by Cookey; 07-09-2008 12:37 PM.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Cookey #76739 07-09-2008 05:52 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hello Don,
This may also help with the acronyms.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/stages_cancer.htm

BaCC = Basil Cell Carcinoma
Biopsy = tissue sample removed for microscopic examination
BOT = Base of tongue
Brachytherapy = Radiation therapy with internal radioactive �seeds�
CAT = Computed Axial Tomography (scan)
CCC = Cancer Care Center
CT = Computed (computer) Tomography (scan)
Dives = treatments in a HBO unit
DX = Diagnosis
ENT = Ear Nose and Throat Doctor and surgeon
FNA = Fine Needle Aspiration � (Needle Biopsy)
HBO(T) = Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments
HIPAA = Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
HN = Head and neck
HNC = Head and Neck Cancer
HPV = Human Papilloma Virus
IMRT = Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy
Met(s) = Metastasis or cancer spread
MRI = Magnetic Resonance Imaging (scan)
NCCN = National Comprehensive Cancer Network
PCP = Primary Care Physician
PEG = Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastronomy (G tube or tube) Feeding
PET = Positron Emission Tomography (scan)
PT = Physical Therapist
QOL = Quality Of Life
RND = Radical Neck Dissection (sometimes Resection) also Modified
RO = Radiation Oncologist
RT = Radiation Therapy also Radiotherapy (Radio)
RX = Prescription or treatment
SCC(a) = Squamous Cell Carcinoma also SqCCA and sq cell ca
TX = Treatment
Xerostomia = low saliva
XRT = X ray Radiation Therapy

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Gabe #76756 07-10-2008 05:57 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I also doubt HPV was the causative factor since you had a history of tobacco use and even if HPV was a cause you would most likely receive the same Tx but you can always get tested for the presence of the HPV virus in your cancer slides if you want.

Test tomorrow on all the abbreviations so study up!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
davidcpa #76759 07-10-2008 08:43 AM
DonB Offline OP
OP Offline

Liz - Thanks for the research info on the Unknown Primary. I also found a couple other articles on this.

Gabe - Thanks for the great list of Acronyms

David - I read some posts from you on getting second opinions and I have not, but I think except for the RO I have seen two of each speciality within the Sharp Healthcare system. At this stage the dentists and dietitians seem to be front and center. It seems very comprehensive. Also in my case they plan to use IGRT TomoTherapy which they say is somewhat more precise than standard IMRT. Do you think I am OK just following the Sharp regiment?

Don
HiRes CT 6/21/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08

DonB #76765 07-10-2008 01:29 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Don,

I'm not qualified to answer that question. I just want people to know that different doctors can sometimes achieve the same result using different treatment modalities and it behooves them to make sure they as knowledgeable as possible about their options before they start any treatment. I saw 5 different cancer docs and while I certainly wasn't an expert when I picked Moffitt to treat me, at least I was comfortable that Moffitt and their treatment plan was my best choice.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics