Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76354 07-01-2008 12:19 PM
mshoe Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I came across an interesting article on the science of taste while browsing through the current issue of "Gourmet" magazine (July 2008 pp 46-48). While the article doesn't go into much detail, it does cite the work of sensory scientists Terry Acree at Cornell, Michael O'Mahony at UC Davis, and Linda Bartoshuck, formerly at Yale's School of Medicine and now at the U of Florida Dental College.

The assertion is that there are no basic tastes. There are about 40 taste receptors located all over the inside of the mouth, not just on the tongue. There are more than 4 or 5 kinds of taste receptors and more then 4 ways a chemical can react with a receptor and there are more than 4 types of neural codes the receptors can send to the brain. In order to be tasted a substance must be dissolved in saliva and come into contact with the small receptors found in taste buds.

I didn't do exhaustive research, but I did spend a few hours poking around the web checking out the work of the people cited in the article to validate the content of the article and to see what other work I could find on the topic, particularly the role of saliva in taste.

Much of the work in this area is being done by food scientists. The wine industry is also very interested. There is some attention from medical people, for example, Linda Bartoshuk who is known for work on "supertasters". I found a Taste and Smell Clinic in Washinton DC run by Robert Henkin, MD that treats people with taste and smell disorders. http://tasteandsmell.com/index.html.

The Clinic webpages contain more detailed info about taste receptors. The the upper most surface of the receptor cells are covered with rod-like structures called cillia. These are coated with saliva and the chemical substances dissolved in the saliva bind to them, initiating the process of tasting. The smell process works similarly using nasal fluids. (http://tasteandsmell.com/jun08.htm)

Also on these pages, I learned that taste buds are replaced frequently and chemical components of saliva are essential for the production of new taste buds. Finally, I found that hypothyroidism (lack of thyroid) is cited as a factor in reduced functions of both taste and smell.

Like many others on these forums, my sense of taste is greatly reduced and I don't have much saliva inspite of taking salagen. I also take a thyroid supplement. Eating is still a chore when it used to be a real pleasure. I look at the pictures and browse the articles in "Gourmet" to remember what food used to be like and what it may be again some day.

I thought others might be interested in the topic of taste and it's relationship to saliva.

Marilyn

dx: Stage 3 T2N2aM0 Left tonsil, base of tongue, 1 left node. HPV positive.
tx: Tonsilectomy (left) then Cisplatin x2, Erbitux x7, IMRT x35
Phase 3 clinical trial. Completed 6/28/07
mshoe #76359 07-01-2008 12:43 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Marilyn,

Thanks for sharing that info which I found interesting as I always have suspected a greater role of saliva in tasting since I have seen a direct correlation in my improved saliva bringing about an improved taste.

I see by your Tx that you are just a year out from Tx and I just want you to know that I was 16 months out of Tx before I was finally satisfied with my saliva and taste. I mean I had a major improvement in both saliva and taste when I was 16 months post Tx. I can now eat and drink anything I did pre Tx and I enjoy everything almost as much. I mean it's not 100% perfect but it's so close that I'll be OK if it never gets any better. Don't give up hope.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Marilyn:

Thanks for posting this info. I found it very interesting to see the relationship between saliva and taste.

Christine

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Thanks for sharing Maryilyn, someday I hope to taste more than the 1st bite. LOL That was nice of you to post that . Very interesting.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics