Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Senior Patient Advocate

I couldn't access the news section in this site so I'm not sure if this is already in it but if it's not, here it is.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...cer_trial_080627/20080628?hub=TopStories

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

The news section of the main web site is working fine, so you must have some other issue seeing the stories. This story isn't there as it is not head and neck / oral cancer specific, and while way interesting, is so far away from being available, we would have passed on it till it actually proved out. I can't count the number of "breakthrough" that I have seen put forward since I became a cancer patient. None proved to be the second coming. Let's hope this one is the magic bullet.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

wow this is a real good story i wonder how you get into this clinical trial i know afew people that would sign up

KIM P

there is already a clinical trial underway they are recrutting and this is being done at wake forest university baptist hospital. i don`t think this is a hoax thing they have been working on this for ten years it does not say that oral cancer is not included it just says you have to beable to live for 6mths and have no brain mets.

KIM P
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I never insinuated that it was a hoax. Using your description of the Wake trial, I could insinuate though that this is a very early stage trial. When your parameters for inclusion are so general, they really are at the point in which they have very little human information to work with. But as I said, one day maybe we will find a magic bullet. My personal belief is that we will not. What I expect to happen (not in my lifetime) is that cancer will continue to occur in people, but it will become a manageable and survivable disease. People in the world of research think this will come from more and more targeted therapies, stem cell treatments, and treatments based on genetic profiles and manipulation. Our grandchildren will likely see these things.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

i did not mean that you thought it was a hoax but they are enrolling people in this trial with late stage cancer and the cost is 100 thousand dollars most insurance companys will pay for it they have a list of which states that the insurance companys are forced to pay for the trial and they are goning to see which cancers it kills in humans so i think they want a variety of cancer types. sorry to imply that you thought it was a hoax i was implying it was a hoax because of all the different crap people try to cell you when your sick.

KIM P
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Fair enough. But as a side note, because this is one of those things that you always hope is the Holy Grail, I made a couple of calls to learn more about it. I was told off the record that most of the people in the trial are coming from he ranks of those with untreatable terminal disease. That is essence means that while they have qualified with the FDA for the investigation, the data is so preliminary that they have no idea even of how much drug to give a patient, let alone if it will work. This is how it always begins. You have to start somewhere, and that point is with people who have nothing to lose. I commend those patients in the trial not only for their desire to fight on, but for their willingness to help advance the science in spite of the fact that the odds of it working for them are so small.

i agree thank you for doing the trial

KIM P

has anyone looked into this they are trying to enroll people before summers out. but they are charging 100 thousand dollars or some ins companys are forced to pay

KIM P

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics