Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Oh and just to clarify some of the above posts. HPV does not live on your cirvix or oral cavity exclusivly. It is a virus that pervades your whole body. It just seems to only show simptoms on these areas (as far as we know) and on skin.

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I went to a medical oncologist at a small hospital. She said she'd bet that I was HPV positive. At the time, I didn't care because I felt it wouldn't alter my treatment, but agreed to have my existing slides tested. I'm not sure where she sent them, but it was not big deal (e.g., she didn't say she was sending them some place special). I'm guessing she decided not to do chemo based in part on the postive HPV results, age, and my overall good health.

SCC, right tonsil, T1N0MO, G3, HPV-33 positive, 7 wks IMRT 2/21/07-4/13/07, 48 year old female when diagnosed, non-smoker, weekend wine drinker, tumor and both tonsils removed. Ethyol for 3 weeks; no peg; only minimal longterm side effects
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There is not TODAY a good mechanism other than biopsy and then PCR testing to check for HPV to be 100 percent certain. There is likely to be a mouth swab or swish test in the next 36 months based on the Digene brush cytology test that is FDA approved for testing for HPV on the cervix. Problem with mouth testing is that is a big area and while we know the areas it likes to go to (tonsil, tonillar crypt, tonsillar pillar, base of tongue and oropharynx) that is still a lot of geography. The general opinion for now is that HPV likes to go to the sqamous cells of your body, which line every opening to your body and the cavities associated with them, which also have moist squamous cells on them. This is the mouth, the vaginal area and cervix, the anus and the penis for now. New data is coming out weekly. The HPV page of the OCF web site is constantly being updated with the latest articles in their full PDF format for those that wish to get the most current information. Small studies that have not been replicated are not there at this time, we only post articles that we are 100% sure of the data they contain.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics