Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

Tom thanks for your reply. My husband goes through the vomiting sessions when he has his chemo treatments. It is very painful for him. I currently give him between 64 oz and 70 oz of water daily and I give him 2 tsp. Guaifenesin via his tube every four hours. He also gargles with the Guainfenesin. Did you use anything else to ease the secretions? My husband would be better able to handle the chemo side effects if he did not have to deal with the secretions. The oncologist is planning on two more chemo treatments and then after several weeks a PET scan. Any and all advice on what we can do to alleviate radiation recall side effects would be greatly appreciated. Eileen

Eileen
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Eileen,

Most likely, drinking fluids with all the vomitting is still not hydrating Don and the vomitting is probably dehydrating him more. The more dehydrated, the worse (thicker) the goo. During chemo I vomitted many times an hour and I don't remember ever going for very long without vomitting. I had 2-3 bags of IV fluid a day for many weeks. When my mouth, throat and everything from there to me rear end got raw, I used a lot of Miracle Mouthwash to swish and swallow. It is pretty popular with any type of mouth and throat sores. It has lidocaine and maybe benadryl and something else.

Guafenesin is useless without a lot of fluids. I also had the home health folks bring me a nebulizer and did some inhalation treatments to help the throat stay moist.

Best wishes,

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023

Hi. i'm just starting this - first chemo and radiation this week and I didn't know what Guainefesin was. I thought the Doctors/Radition oncologists would see you every day and presribe what is necessary. Does all if this stuff happen after you are not going every day?

SCC-floor mouth/partial jaw removal on 10-5-2006. Thanks for sharing all the info. Hopeful, determined & anxious!
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

mp - Don't read too much into other people's experiences here. Your journey will be completely unique - unlike anyone else. Some of us really fought with the throat goo, but many didn't.

The amazing secretions of head, mouth and throat are all water based, all of them are defense mechanisms, and all of them dehydrate the body. The secretions will thin and then cease as the healing gets under way - but are really needed until then. All those tissues are really damaged from tx. The secretions protect them, and would, ordinarily by fairly thin and non-problematic (think - runny nose). But the tx steals fluids everywhere in the body - leaving little to help thin the goop.

You MUST get the fluid loss stopped. Don't let the docs put you off about it - get the right drug to stop the vomiting. Keep asking until you get it. Then, pour in the fluids - many say 2 liters per day.

mp, keep us in touch with how you are doing. Keep reading here, but remember, your treatment experience will be unique. Be strong. Tom J

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.

Ray - Radiation tx turns 'rubber-band'-like jaw muscles into shoe leather. But, its never too late to start regaining some of that lost jaw motion. I too was ignorant about losing jaw function until will after tx. I could barely stick a finger into my mouth. Some of the lost motion is recovered with healing, but more can be regained with exercises. Find out about "Therabite" and small device used to exercise the jaw. I have not recovered all the lost motion, but I got back a lot - more than enough for speech, smiling and laughing. No more hot-dog eating contests for me, but .... Life is good. Be strong. Tom J

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ask about renting a suction machine (from a medical supply house) -- if it is prescribed insurance will probably cover it, and others have posted that (even so) it was not that expensive considering the benefit in controlling excess secretions.

Inability to swallow also inhibits your ability to get rid of mouth secretions in the normal fashion (swallowing them, unconsiously) and the excessive, thick stcky ones accompanying radiation are even more intolerable. The guafenesin helps because it thins secretaions. So does gargling (or swishing) with a salt/soda mixture -- some have used soda water to good effect.

I think it is inexcusible for doctors treating HNC patients not to caution them about the possibility of trismus (restricted jaw opening) and to have them start appropriate exercises (or using a TheraBite device) from the get-go. Ditto continuing to swallow something, anything, to keep the muscles at least somewhat functional. My husband's ENT had herself had radiation (the old-fashioned kind) 15 years or so ago for a head cancer and knows only too well these side-effects. She warned him about continuing to swallow -- she had to gargle with lidocaine to be able to swallow, but managed it. So did my husband, but it was hard...

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
OP Offline

I would like to thank everyone for their support and help over the last several months. My husband, Don, lost his battle to cancer. It spread to his brain and there was not much we could do at this point. I think this is a very good site and when the time allows I would like to help out somehow. I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and a wonderful holiday season. Eileen

Eileen
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Eileen,

I am so sorry that Don lost his battle with this hideous disease. Remember, this site is here for you always.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Eileen,

I'm very sorry to hear that your husband has passed. My prayers are for you and your family tonight.

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
JAM Offline

Eileen, I hope the strength and courage you showed while caring for Don will stay with you now so that you can start to heal yourself. I know it was a long, hard road. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users