#74815 05-24-2008 06:36 AM
Dragan Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hi Friends,
It's been a while since my last post; I haven't forgotten my many friends here...life has just marched on, and living it fully has been taking up much more of my days.

I wanted to share with you a profound experience I had yesterday evening, all night long.

The Canadian Cancer Society Relay for Life was held last night. While last years relay was held on a beautiful evening, this years event was less than kind, weather-wise. Steady rain, wind, and temperatures in the 40's. I joined over 200 survivors and nearly 3000 family, friends, other care-givers and generous people from all walks of life to walk, talk and share our experiences with the Beast.

It was a night filled with laughter and tears. We shared memories, victories and losses amidst the mud, the wind and the rain. My body is cold, tired and damp; my spirit soars. I lit luminaries for my Dad, Aunt and Uncle in their memory, and every lap that I completed I felt their presence, walking alongside. I handed out many, many OCF brochures; Oral cancer is still a mystery to many.

It was a special time to share with my wife, and my daughter; two of the most amazing women I've ever known. My wife...she stood beside me through every doctors visit, every surgery and radiation treatment. Held my head when I was sick, bathed me when I was too ill to wash my own face. She was at my side again last night.

My daughter, who at 22 has the wisdom of someone many years her senior. She was in Shanghai on business, flew 17 hours to get home with just enough time to drop her suitcase, change clothes and rush over to the start of the Relay. 12 hours and many Red-bulls later, we walked the last lap together. My Segway batteries were exhausted two hours earlier; I know I covered 40 km before I had to start walking. Our pace certainly slowed down at that point; I just can't walk very well any more.

I'm writing this before getting some sleep. I've got dry clothes on now, and I'm sure I'll warm up before the weekends over ;^)

I'm so proud of my family, and our success. We raised more than $5000 in pledges for the Relay. The total amount raised should exceed $1,000,000, and the vast majority of that will go to the Tom Baker cancer centre here in Calgary to further the battle with the Beast. It was a good night...........
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06

BRAVO, Wayne! Our spirits soar with you and all survivors!
JaneP

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

What a beautiful description of what no doubt was a beautiful event. Thank you for sharing the story.

Cancer of Tongue, SCC early Stage 1, Dx 3/13/07, partial glossectomy 4/14/07 found no residual carcinoma and a granular cell tumor with pseudo epitheliomatous hyperplasia.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Wayne,

Way to go. Next year do one just for the OCF. I'm sure Brian could put $1,000,000 to good use. LOL

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Wayne,

It was so nice of you to share your story and it's great to see you on the forum again.

I miss your emails, but I know that you have been extremely busy. I hope that your batteries are recharged and that you are back zooming around the airport.

Our relay is on June 28th and my office will again be doing oral cancer screenings on the first day.

Keep in touch.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Very moving story you have there Wayne. Next year like David suggested, do it for the Oral Cancer foundation and maybe word will get out a little better to the public. You sure have a loving family.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Wayne, it is great to hear from you again. You have been an inspiration to me from the beginning of my journey.

XO--Colleen

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23