Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hello: Adele
I am an Adele also. I am not any expert, but sounds as though you have some form of a virus. When my cancer presented my symptoms were a lump, ear pain and fatigue and that's all.
However, having said that it sounds as though your problem needs medical treatment and you must be sure that you find out exactly what you are dealing with. In my experience we must all be our own advocates with our illness and keep going until you are sure there is no cancer involved.
Best of Luck

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks Adele,
I'm gonna check out everything I can.

Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Adele,
I'm glad you quit smoking, that's great! Way to go!
Did you do it cold turkey? (My preferred method)

I have a name of another anti fungal medicine, like Diflucan, but the research shows that it kills aspergillous and other molds, unlike Diflucan which doesn't. Right now, I'm not on the meds as my liver enzymes were too high, so I get bloodwork on Mon. 3/10 to check the liver, and if it checks out, they will let me go back on the anti fungal meds, at which time I plan to ask about Noxafil instead of Diflucan. I'm currently researching fungus and cancer and don't like what I read. I want this fungal crap gone! But I am only a lay person with big interests. I'm avoiding all foods contaiminated with mycotoxin, or help mycotoxin grow (grain, corn, peanus, alcohol, brewers yeast, mushrooms, white rice, breads, and sugar) am working on a list of things I can eat to focus on instead of the things I can't eat. It doesn't appear that a systemic fungal problem, such that causes oral lichens planus can clear by just one week of antifungal meds, and can take months, years? to clear.
My mouth is so sore I'm willing to do most anything to make it better.

Dad had oral lichens planus, and oral leukoplakia before T2 SCC,2 nodes.
DX10/23/03
IMRT 12/29/03.30 rad,3 boost.
Brachytherapy 3/8-3/11/04.
Recurrence Nov07 Stage IV.
4 Surgeries
No rads, no chemo
I have oral lichens planus,
thrush,leukoplakia 2/20/08
6/2/08 biopsies "inflammation"

OP Offline

Hello Dell,
I don't know if what I have is a fungal thing or not. I'm still going to docs and it's like nobody knows anything,nor can they diagnose anything. I went back to my GP Monday, he gave me another one of those crazy looks, he put me back on Diflucan for a week to see if it helps. I still have no idea what's goin on with me. My throat is still very bothersome, feels like someone is choking me and my mouth is still bothering me, my gums are swelling still, and my throat feels like a ball in stuck in it. I'm gonna try the diflucan again and see if it helps any. I still have more appointments with the ENT and Neurologists, so I'll see if they can come up with anything. I hope you do well. I'm still struggling with smoking. Unfortunately I love to smoke, don't know why, I just do. I know it's really bad to do, but I am gonna quit totally. Congrats to you for quitting cold turkey. I don't know how you did it. This is the hardest thing I have ever done. I also stay away from alot of the foods you mentioned. Just like you I am willing to do anything to make all this go away, whatever it is, I am just absolutely miserable!!!! Good Luck to you!!

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Re smoking...
this probably does not help your sore throat.
just consider that scalpels, needles, retractors forceps and pincers (ok maybe not these) generally win when they are used against soft oral tissue!

This sure as hell motivated me.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
OP Offline

Yeah i do think of stuff like that all the time. I'm crazy I guess. I would love to quit, but just don't know how to do it. So in the last few days I've seen another ENT, who sent me for a CT w/contrast scan of my throat, just went today to have that done. I pray this will show what's going on. I've also had an MRI of the brain, not heard anything from the doc yet. This new ENT, also said he didn't see any signs of oral cancer, but he put me on Prednisone, a large dose for 15 days, Tagament, and Prilosec, on a daily basis for 14 days. I think they keep thinking I have GERD, but I rarely ever have heartburn. I dunno, getting more and more use to feeling terrible!!! My GP also tried Diflucan again, took a 4 dose this time, my throat still has been sore, and feels like it is tight and feels like a ball stuck in it. My gums are still burning and swelling. My voice is hoarse, once in awhile. I still have a white tongue and a white film on the inside of my cheeks. Does anybody know how to get this off. I try not to look inside my mouth or throat anymore, cause I just get upset. Sometimes I wonder if I could just have tonsilitis or something like that. I will wait and see, but this new ENT made me an appointment for May 1, that's a long time to wait, but I go to see the other ENT, Monday, we'll see what he says again.

Hi Adele,
How are you doing?
I haven't found a way to get the yeast off my tongue/throat/cheeks yet either. But I am rinsing my toothbrush out in white vinegar to avoid recontamination.
My throat is still sore, and I am hoarse too. There are lumps and bumps in my throat, on my tonsils, and white spots all down the left side of my tongue.
Sounds like we are still stuck in the same boat!
I'm ready to kick the captain to the curb! LOL
I've been in this spot since mid Jan. and it needs to be resolved! I try not to look anymore too, same thing, just get upset. I started the meds back up on 3/10. Praying for some relief soon. I'm scared. Hey, with the smoking, try www.whyquit.com, read everything you can there. Then, when you've quit cold turkey for 72 hrs., join Freedom from smoking and download a quit counter. I too loved to smoke. But like my dad now says, I like to smile, drink, eat, talk, laugh more. I can live without smoking, but I may not live if I kept smoking, that was my biggest motivation to quit. Seeing my dad undergo 3 extensive surgeries to remove the cancer from his face, and the reconstructive issues he is having did it. That's not to say I believe smoking was the only cause, but it didn't help.
I'm here for you if you need me.
Please let us know how your tests come out.

DX10/23/03
4 Surgeries
No rads, no chemo

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hey Dell old buddy, glad you are still posting. I'm doing my best to get back into the swing of things. If my tongue and lower inside lip would ease up , I would actually feel pretty good. I like your advice on the smoking issue.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hey guys - no clue if you can take the new smoking drug Chantix with all the other stuff you are taking, but I smoked for almost 20 years and the Chantix worked great for me.

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Hey Jim! Thanks ~ glad to see you!
Hope your tongue and lip chill out and give you a break!
If I get to be one of those "annoying" ex smokers, I'm counting on you to let me know! ;o)
Miss ya buddy!

DX10/23/03
4 Surgeries
No rads, no chemo

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard