Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#71297 03-10-2008 04:18 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

My moms surgery is schedule for 3/12. It is supposed to be a one day procedure and I will be bringing her home. We live an hour from the hospital and with NYC traffic, that can easily turn into 2 hours. I was wondering if there is anything that I can do to make the ride home somewhat tollerable for her. I know this may seem insignificant considering the circumstances, but I have to ask anyway.

CG to Mom. Dx 2/08. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the minor salivary gland in lower lip. Surgery 3/12/08. Margins clear but not clear enough. Surgery scheduled for 4/23/08. Surgery Successful. Clear Margins
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I would definately mention it to the surgeon and to the post-op nurse and they might give her a little something extra for pain and/or sedation since you have such a long drive. Worst case they will give you prescriptions for pain and possibly nausea - fill those at the hospital or at a drug store nearby and go ahead and give her both - they will enable her to sleep on the way home.
Good luck!!

Michelle, CG to husband (45), DX 2/08 Stage IVa Adenocarcinoma Salivary Gland (T2N2bMO)
Parotidectomy & ND 2/08, Tumor margins not clear, 4 of 30 nodes positve for cancer,
TX IMRT 39x, cisplatin 7x (completed 5/1/08),
PEG (4/22 - 7/9), No port. Currently in remission!

Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I did not go home right after surgery, as mine was more extensive - partial glossectomy and neck dissection. However, my surgery was done on a Thursday and they discharged me on Saturday, and we had a long drive to my cousin's home where I was going to spend a few days before flying home. (My surgery was at MD Anderson in Houston) I made sure I was medicated for pain AND nausea - I had quite a bit of nausea from the pain pills once they switched me from IV to PO (by mouth)right before we left. The drive was fine - make sure she has a couple of pillows to cushion her face, etc. And, just in case, make sure you have an emesis basin handy in case of nausea - they should give you one in the hospital, bring it with...

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

When you say "it is a one day procedure" it's not clear to me if you mean it is day surgery and she will be released in the evening of the same day or if it is overnight surgery. Especially if it is day surgery, be sure she is given good stuff for nausea (sych as zofran), because the aftereffect of surgical anesthetics generally make people a little more queasy than usual. This can last into the next day as well (and sometimes pain meds also exacerbate nausea). Last year I had day surgery in Boston and after I was released my husband decided we'd drive all the way back hime (6 hrs) because there was a blizzard heading our way. We did make it home before the blizzard but the trip home was horrible for me--I felt on the edge of vomiting for the whole time and since I had just had my esophagus stretched open, vomiting would have been a worse than usual thing to go through. Somehow I managed to avoid it happening but just barely.

Next time I told them before the surgery that I tended to get nauseated after surgery and they gave me soemthing during the anesthesia, I think zofran, that prevented all that.

Nelue

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
OP Offline

Michelle, Ginny & Nelie: Thank you very much for the advice. It will be very helpful. I never would have thought to bring a pillow and was unaware that meds could be given during anesthesia for nausea. My friend just called me and told me to bring zip loc bags. Her daughter gets car sick every time they get in the car, she vomits in the zip loc bag, they seal it and its over. I really do appreciate all your help. Thanks again.
Denise

CG to Mom. Dx 2/08. Mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the minor salivary gland in lower lip. Surgery 3/12/08. Margins clear but not clear enough. Surgery scheduled for 4/23/08. Surgery Successful. Clear Margins

HI!
I need to choose a place for workup and treatment.I live in Cincinnati, OH and have heard horror stories about our local University Hospital. I am seriously looking at going to M.D. Anderson in Houston for workup and surgery even though its a lot more work. Have you ever heard anything less than excellent about the level of care and outcomes from M. D. Anderson?

Thanks.

Mike

DX SCC right lateral tongue 12/01/08

Mike - There are several good Comprehensive Cancer Centers in your area. MDA is certainly a great hospital and if travel is not an issue I would definitely go there. Comprehensive Cancer Centers specialize in cancer and are definitely the way to go. You might check out the link below and see if there is a center close to you. Good Luck.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

59 Male 10/06 SCC Stage 1 tongue cancer. 12/06 partial glossectemy right side, removal of lymph nodes. Margins and lymph nodes clean. 09/08 recurrence SCC Stage 1 tongue cancer. 10/08 partial glossectemy right side. Margins clean. Radiation recommended.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Mike,
I am planning on getting my surgery done at the Barrett Center there in Cincy. What horror stories have you heard??

*Shaylynn*
11.25.08 SCC of tongue diagnosed @ age 23 T2N2cM0
12.20.2008 Partial glossectomy & left neck dissection. Clear margins.
6.24.09-Pet Scans show 2 areas of concern
8.5.09-Recurrence-Perotid Gland and swollen node removal
9.29.09 Carboplatin & Taxol x8 Tomo x39
11.19.09 WILL COMPLETE TREATMENTS!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912