Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

A never-ending sore throat CAN be a symptom of allergies. It was in my case; I never realized I had allergies, because I thought allergies meant lots of sneezing and watery eyes. When I sought Tx for my tonsil my ENT said he could tell I had allergies by looking in my nose and throat. My Tx story http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/teresadillon

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

MY ENT DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING TO ME ABOUT ALLERGIES. WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THE INFECTION ON MY ADENOIDS, I EVEN ASK HIM WHAT CAUSED THAT OR WHAT COULD'VE CAUSED THAT, HE DIDN'T KNOW. I LIKE THIS ENT, I'VE TOOK MY KIDS TO HIM FOR YEARS, BUT WHEN IT CAME DOWN TO ME, HE SAID HE HAD DONE EVERYTHIG HE COULD DO. I'M WAITING FOR THE NEUROLOGIST TO CALL. THEY STILL HAVEN'T CALL WITH MY APPOINTMENT FOR THE MRI. SO I GUESS I'M GONNA CALL THEM. I WILL ASK THE NEXT ENT ABOUT ALLERGIES. I'M CONCERNED WITH THE LEUOPLAKIA RIGHT NOW.

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

You are again asking questions that absolute answers cannot be provided for. There is no way for him to know how you got any infection.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

No he may not know, but he could tell me if it was caused by allergies or so on. For the last two days my throat has been extremely sore, I've been taking some syrup I had that has condene in it, and I am having awful pain in my ears, along with a butterfly sound or a fluttering sound in them, but my ears are hurting and burning alot. I don't get to see the next ENT until March 20th, and I have my MRI done on March 6th, of the brain. I'm hoping it will also show the throat and face also. They are doing one of the brain, so they can see my nerves. They think the facial pain I am having could be caused by some nerve damange of nerver inflammation. We'll see I guess. I'm sorry for asking all these questions Brain, but I just need to find out as much as I can. My thought is that all of you have been there, so most of you can answer the questions I have. I thought this is what this forum was for. If I'm wrong let me know and I will find another. I may ask some dumb questions, as you say, but they are questions that I have and want to know.

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

NO he could NOT have told you it was caused by allergies. How would he know? He could give you a list of ALL the things that MIGHT have caused it perhaps, but what good would that have done you? A differential diagnosis starts with a list of all possibilities, and one by one eliminates them until the culprit is left. Sometimes like in MS, it is only the elimination of all other possibilites that you end up with a diagnosis. You have a long journey to sort out the many things you have going on.

You can ask all the questions you want here, but understand you are describing things that are not customary to the symptoms that the majority of us have had related to oral cancers, so we can't help you with most of them. You clearly have many medical issues, but they are not typical of oral cancers, and so what people have to offer here, (except to encourage you to continue to seek out doctors that will continue to explore your symptoms looking for answers) isn't much.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

well from what I have read on oral cancer on the internet, I have all the symptoms that are posted on every site. I was just concerned for me and thought all of you could help me. I'm sorry if I wasted everyone's time. I disagree with you Brian when you say my symptoms are not customary. One lady on here said the only way her husband was diagnosed, was because he had pain in his ears. I do know a continuous sore throat and pain in the ears are a symptom and I have had both for almost 8wks straight. So I take it you are telling me I am on the wrong forum, so I am sorry and I will no long post here. Sorry for bothering everyone!

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Well I guess I'll be the bad guy. But the truth of the matter is until you get additional opinions and examinations/test from doctors that you are seeing, and move towards definitive diagnosis of the multiple things that you have going on, not all of which are classic symptoms of oral cancers, the most that people here can do is give you moral support, which I think they have. When you read back through your list of symptoms which has increased since you have started posting, many of them do not fit the classic symptoms. Chronic sore throat certainly does but you have a doctor that has labeled it an infection. You have developed an ear ache which if chronic could be also, and you have smoker's leukoplakia. You also have a litany of other things which are not, like burning lips and gums which I and others suggested might be a fungal infection. It would seem likely you have multiple things going on. Could oral cancer be one of them? Anything is possible, but to get an answer from people who haven't seen you, and who are not doctors, only speaking from their own experience, isn't going to answer your many questions with any certainty. That is what I have said to you.

OP Offline

No Brian I have not developed new symptoms, these are symptoms I have had all along. I wanted advice from people who have gone through this and wanted to know their symptoms. Since I do have an anxiety and panic disorder, many doctors when they hear that just brush everything off and label it as that. So the smyptoms that I have is causing me extra anxiety. I didn't mean to make you sound like a bad guy, but my feelings were hurt when you made it sound as though I was just posting for nothing. All these are real and everything I have said is real. I just want to know what some of the other experienced before they found out they for sure had the cancer. Everything I can find out helps me a great deal.

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Well, when you get additional information from your doctors, I and others will be interested to hear what they have to say. But try to remember that there are no absolutes in any of this, and asking questions that do not consider that point isn't going to help you.

It is a good thing that you are cognizant of your anxiety issues. Having had to deal with some of this myself, I can first hand tell you that those emotions can cause a cascade of physical events, which are quite real, but subside when the anxiety is relieved. I can manifest rashes, tachycardia, chest pains, and much more that mimic a heart MI for instance, if I let my anxiety issues get out of hand. If you do not think there aren't any psychic debris that goes along with helping people with cancer, you are mistaken. I talk to people in end of life oral cancer issues as a matter of routine... I assure you that I see myself in them every week. The clinic I go to that treats this disorder has patients who can actually depress their immune system over several days of panic attacks. When that happens they have herpes simplex outbreaks, and Candida outbreaks (both of which are in their systems and in balanced control already) and develop other real physical manifestations.

This is not the same as saying it is all in your head, but it is saying that your head can control the physical self. If someone on here says, as you have pointed out, that ear pain was the thing that took them to the doctor, and where a diagnosis of something more was determined, what that really means that oral cancers are very insidious. They do not present with easily detectable symptoms until they are will developed most of the time, and that allows them to go unnoticed and undiagnosed. So an ear ache takes you to the doctor who then discovers a lesion on your base of tongue or tonsil. That is not the same thing as saying that the only thing going on was an ear ache, that was the only thing that the patient noticed. You have multiple things going on, many of which could be tied to more simple explanations such as infections, dental/oral issues, etc. Think Occam's Razor.....

(A rule in science and philosophy stating that entities should not be multiplied needlessly. This rule is interpreted to mean that the simplest of two or more competing theories is preferable and that an explanation for unknown phenomena should first be attempted in terms of what is already known. Also called law of parsimony.)

OP Offline

I do know that anxiety causes alot of things, trust me I've been through most of them. I do not think this is anxiety, it just feels totally different. I do want to tell all of you, I don't know if anyone has ever heard of it, but I have been doing oil pulling. This is a very simple task to do everyday. I have been doing it for a week now, and this is suppose to pull toxins out of your body, also cure diseses with long term use. Anyways, as I said I have been doing it for a week now and it has helped me so much. Although I am still experiencing a sore throat and ear ache, they both come and go. After I do the oil pull it takes alot of my symptoms away for long periods and lets me feel almost normal agian. If anyone is interested in this you can look up oil pulling on the net. There is alot of stuff out there on it. Thank You Brian for all the advice you have given me. I'm waiting it out, and hopefully this will be just an infection or something like that. I hope. I'm sure you see alot of devasting things everyday. My heart goes out to you. I could not do something like that. Anyways, wish me luck with my MRI Thursday the 6th. I'm praying everything will be Good.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users