Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Wow thank you all so much for replying,

Liz yep your right i will stay away from tomatoes for now dont know why i didnt think before can i blame chemo brain??? LOL, soups are fine for me to eat i have got fed up of eating liquid foods but i havent tried ice cream so i might give that a shot oo i love ice cream hope im ok with it. thank you again

Brenda thank you, i cant eat pasta it really sticks to my mouth even with sauce or soup but i will try over cooked veggies, i dont know why but Jello makes me heave, go figure, well Jello and apple sauce i used to like both of them pre treatment so not sure what thats about?!!!...waffles hey wow i can imagine how you felt being able to eat that, i am finding its easier for me to eat sweet stuff rather than savoury, maybe my savoury taste buds arent back yet? i have never had a waffle so might try that too was it cooked soft? i know what you mean about the weight loss i am doing ok with that i only lost 1 lb in the 3 weeks i havent been using my tube so doing ok so far. i cant eat mashed potatoes either they coat my mouth and throat i didnt think of adding veggies to it might try it...

Markus thanks so much for the reply....pasta im not doing well with even when i soak it in soup it takes me ages to get it all off my teeth and gums ( i got a baby's tooth brush its easier on my gums)i am allergic to peaches but i have been drinking yoghurt, i have thrush in my mouth that wont clear up so i have been trying the old remedies...not working yet, i love cheese well i used to i cant wait to be able to eat cheese again.

Donna thank you so much, do you know i tried the chiken noodle soup i couldnt eat the noodles nuts right?!!! but your right soup is helping keep the weight up.

Peace4uall im with you on the potatoes well not right now i am determined to be able to eat them soon just cant do them yet...thank you for the tips

Nelie my inlaws just bought me a juicer thinking along thesame lines as you so im going to look around for recipies i know if you do it yourself and get it wrong it can taste yuk thank you for replying

thanks again everyone....i am off to make indian food for a party wonder if i can eat that?!!LOL yeah right

Debz

Age 40 Diagnosed with stage 4 SCC tongue, sept 07 started 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemo Had my first follow up PET - got the all clear 17th April 2008.
26th Had my PEG tube removed...eating almost everything. Was hard but learned to eat without saliva, it's so good to chew and swallow food!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Deb, Have you tried kefir? It's a yogurt-y drink which I think has the same stuff as yogurt to help counteract thrush. That is another staple of mine. I get the stuff made by a local dairy near here with lots of milk fat for extra calories (my cholesterol is realy really low so I don't need to worry about that). As for pasta, try pastina--the little tiny circles of pasta that is sometimes used to feed children. I find if it is somewhat overcooked and mixed with lots and lots of Alfredo or cheese sauce to help it stick together it goes down pretty easily--it's the only kind of pasta I can handle.

Nelie

Last edited by Nelie; 02-24-2008 10:53 AM. Reason: typos

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Deb
Have you tried canned macaroni cheese, the canned stuff is cooked much softer than home cooking (it's better just warm so it will slide down)
Also soft omelettes cooked in plenty of butter.. later you can add the cheese
When you are ready to try fruit juice peach is about the least acidic
Hope this helps
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I make my macaronin and cheese real wet, I add extra milk. I stay away from most all of the spices. My nutritionalist told me because I have such a salty taste in my mouth to add a pinch of sugar to things and I find that is easier to swallow as well.
My mom made a wonerful chicken and noodle soup for me today she added bell peppers to it and it made it sweeter then it would have been. When you can't use salt then the sweetner (natural) is good. I have found that most fruits are hard for me to handle but I can get peach coobler (soupier) good. We tried banan pudding but to no avail it was too dry. Like I said keep trying things, don't get fustrated even when you have to throw away food you have to keep trying. I did try a chocolate donut today boy was I stupid, as a chocolate lover I can't stand the taste any longer. Heres to good food and LOTS of sunshine, Brenda

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

What worked for me was was drinking my meals while implementing small meals. Salad worked well but little nutrition. Alot of the other things people mentioned. But it seems that there is a difference in alot of us because I tried much of what has been suggested and had no luck but had luck with some things that seemed ridiculous. The main thing was drinking an ensure mixed with a carnation instant breakfast VHC lactose free followed by whatever seemed possible at first and slowly but surely I found foods that I could eat. I still have very few things that I really enjoy but it is tons better than just after treatment. I don't know if anyone else has luck with fish but I have luck with thin sliced fish. Tilapia specifically and it has to be cooked in olive oil and not overcooked because it dries out the meat and it is very difficult to swallow then.

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Post treatment I was drinking 4-6 cans of carnation vhc a day. I substituted the lunch feeding with cream soup and pudding. I did this for a while and then substituted supper feedings with regular food. I can't remember how long I did this, but I do remember I had to retrain myself on how to swallow. It was difficult at first and I was afraid of swallowing, but I did it slowly and with small bites. Eventually I was eating frozen dinners with lot of gravey and mashed potatoes and pastas.

When the Dr pulled the peg tube, I lost 18 pounds of the next couple of months as I had no appetite and changed my diet. As the others said before, I had to experiment with differetn types of foods to see what worked and what tasted good with my new sense of taste. Also, I was drinking a sip of water with every bite of food to help the swallowing. I was getting full quicker on the water.

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Something different for during the day, at work or in the car.
Try a Boost Smoothie. They taste pretty good and are a nice change from the usual fare. I tried the Raspberry.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Im not the best eater either, but here are a few things that I can eat....yogurt, banana pudding, canned peaches and pears chopped very small, fresh very ripe bananas or pears, cream soups, over cooked or canned veggies like brussel sprouts peas carrots or green beans

dont feel bad, I cant do pasta or bread at all either

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Hi all thank you so much your replys have helped so much...i went shopping today i got some mac and cheese (i will add extra milk)i got a small can of pears i will try those...i got a can of chucky veg soup guess what...i ate the whole can no problem at all (i couldnt eat the sweetcorn) but everything else was soooo good i wouldnt have tried this if it wasnt for all of you i had to come and share it with the only people i know who will know how great it was, my first solid meal in months woohoo.

thank you again Debz

Age 40 Diagnosed with stage 4 SCC tongue, sept 07 started 35 radiation treatments and 3 chemo Had my first follow up PET - got the all clear 17th April 2008.
26th Had my PEG tube removed...eating almost everything. Was hard but learned to eat without saliva, it's so good to chew and swallow food!
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

So good to hear you are trying to eat. Everyone forgot
about pancakes. I never ate sweets before and never pancakes,
but oh they were so good with syrup. I would have never though I could eat them, but someone on hear told me that they just melt in your mouth. They were right!!!
Debbie

Partial mandibulectomy and neck dissection 2/3/07. T2NOMO.
Had 14 hour operation which included reconstruction of jaw.
Reconstruction failed. Some radiation, no chemo.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics