Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#70163 02-20-2008 05:30 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

If you have oral cancer, can the symptoms come and go or is it a constant feeling. Burning lips, teeth ache, gums swell, facial pain, throat feels like its swelling, roof of mouth is very sensitive, and light headed. All my symptoms seem to come and go through out the day. I'll feel ok one sec then 30 min later its terrible. Does this sound like oral cancer. I dont have any lump or bumps, but I do have what my ENT called an infection on my adenoids, or a large red mass, he said. Can anyone give me some info on symptoms.

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

You have not mentioned any of the classic symptoms. Read this page. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/index.htm

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

So cancer symptoms do or do not come and go. I have dizziness, ear ache sometimes,throat was sore it still comes and goes, inside of cheeks are swollen as is my gums and my gums have a rough texture on them, i have some black or bluish spots on my gums, my tongue is white, face has pain that comes and goes,lips burn and that comes and goes.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Adele,
None of us can diagnose your problems...only tell you what we experienced. It seems like your problems are so wide spread that it is very hard to discern what is going. The burning and white tongue sound like thrush and you would be a prime candidate since you have been on antibiotics.

In Bill's case, his symptoms were: sore throat, shooting pains in his ear, very loud snoring and lots of phlegm. We thought he was suffering from allergies when in fact he had a large tumor on his right tonsil and on the base of the right side of his tongue. His symptoms did not come and go.

You will get lots of answers from people about their symptoms and from some that had nothing but an enlarged lymph node. Everyone is different. You have to get your own diagnosis and the sooner the better.

Good luck with everything,

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

The most constant symptom for me(besides a swollen tonsil) was fatigue. I had intermittant pain in the ear. I did not feel sick, just tired.

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Adele,

I had no pain at all. I just noticed one side of my neck looked bigger than the other side and I mentioned it to my wife and all hell broke loose. She had me in my neighbor's office that afternoon and he was a plastic surgeon but she was bound and determined to have a doctor see me that day.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I am new to this everyone. I had a punch biopsy on a lesion in the floor of my mouth yesterday and waiting for the results tomorrow. I am so scared! I found this website while I was looking for information about the symptoms I have been having. I have had the lesion in my mouth for at least 9 months so I have no idea what stage I am if it turns out that this is in fact SCC (oropharyngeal) probably due to HPV. It is encouraging to see the support that is out there. My question is, can they tell what stage I am at just by the biopsy, or are there other tests I will have to go through first? Also, how soon will my treatment/surgery? start? Any help/info is appreciated.

OP Offline

Thanks guys, I know I'm jumping the gun, but I'm just really scared. I go back to my ENT Monday, so maybe he can find something out for me. This burning in my mouth is killing me. Today I did notice some white on the inside of my jaws looks like spider legs or really thin white lining of something. Still concerned and more scared after seeing that. Thanks Again.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Cathy: Hi and welcome to OCF! Keep us posted as to the outcome of your biopsy. Then, read, read, read! but don't let fear overwhelm you. We're here to help, just let us know! Hoping that you get a good report...

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Adele,

I have a lot of burning, and throat/tonsil pain.
Saw doc 2/20, she believes it is oral lichens planus,
I also have the rash on my wrists and feet.
She gave me three meds, dapsone, dexamethasone, and diflucan.
I recommend you research oral lichens planus from the home page of this website. Please feel free to send me a note if you have any more questions or concerns.

Dad had oral lichens planus, and oral leukoplakia before T2 SCC,2 nodes.
DX10/23/03
IMRT 12/29/03.30 rad,3 boost.
Brachytherapy 3/8-3/11/04.
Recurrence Nov07 Stage IV.
4 Surgeries
No rads, no chemo
I have oral lichens planus,
thrush,leukoplakia 2/20/08
6/2/08 biopsies "inflammation"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard