Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi. My sister is in the midst of a tongue cancer diagnosis. Biopsy of the tongue showed squamous cell, CAT scan showed a swollen lymph node (but have been assured it's really not too swollen) and a PET is scheduled for Thursday. So, it's all really new and options are not even known at this point - other than knowing that the rest of the area on the tongue that is affected will have to have a wider excision. The ENT she went to was okay but since she's in the medical field herself she really wants to have the best possible surgeon so that she doesn't have to keep going back for surgeries on such a sensitive area.

I'm reading some great things about Sloan Kettering. We're in New Jersey so NY and PA are both convenient. Can anyone recommend a doctor? It's a scary place to be and we want the best possible care for our sister.

And a special "Hello" to my 4 sisters who I'm sure will find this post in the next few days while doing their research!

"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi there.Cant help much with the hospital question as i am in the uk,but i do know that everyone here will tell you to go to a dedicated cancer centre,and you can find informatuion and ratings for them all in the information on this site.Just use the search engine to find it.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I wish your sis all the luck in the world. Seeing as she is in the medical field, she knows there are no guarantees about what will happen regarding future surgeries. You just have to take it one day at a time and kick butt. You and your family are in my prayers.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Youngster,

I went to 5 different cancer docs and basically got 5 different opinions before I settled on Moffitt in Tampa so I am an advocate of seeking additional opinions and a being treated at a Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Read the contents of this site's valuable information and keep asking questions. I'm sure you will end up getting qualified, appropriate treatment. I personally would not let an ENT make my Tx plans by themselves. Tell us more about your sis, i.e. age, smoking habits, drinking habits, etc.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Sister
Before she does anything your sister should speak with a doctor with whom she is friendly and whose opinion she trusts, not necessarily one who treats her. She should also have a consultation with an Oncologist. She is in a good area to go to a major cancer center or to a medical school department which specializes in head and neck cancers.
With prayers for a good outcome,
Malka

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

Where in central Jersey are you? Sloan is either number 1 or 2 dependig on the year. Jerry, our dentist on the board, had tongue cancer and went to Fox Chase in Philly. I did NOT have tongue cancer and went to HUP, Hospital of the University of Pa. Some people like it, others have had some problems. Go to the resource section on the main board. It lists all the major CCC centers.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OP Offline

Thanks. Eileen, we're Middlesex/Monmouth County. NYC is closer but checking all opinions and taking as many names as we can at this pt. I am finding loads of information on this site. This newcomer is really finding it helpful.

Hi,

As Eileen said, I was treated at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philly. I highly recommend it and if your sister plans on getting at least 2 opinions, Sloan and Fox Chase would be good choices.

If you want any additional information about Fox Chase or my diagnosis and treatment, beyond what is in my signature below, don't hesitate to email me.

I wish your sister the best of luck. She is lucky to have you at her side.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Hi youngestsis...
I have sent you a PM with a couple of names here in NYC.

Christine D

Diagnosed with mucoepidermoid carcinoma right side base of tongue. Removed growth from tongue as well as modified neck dissection with mandible split on 12/11/07 with 12 nodes removed. 2 cancerous. Scheduled to start Rx 2/12/08.Finished 3/24/08 30 treatments. no chemo

Hi Sis,

I live in Monmouth County and had surgery at Sloan. My surgeon was Snehal Patel and I thought he was great. The whole staff is wonderful and they are very knowledgeable. I'm very glad I went there. If you have any questions, please ask.

Jenna,46,non-smoker,non-drinker
diagnosed SCC tongue 9/18/07
patial glossectomy 10/22/07
IMRT ends 1/24/08
PET scan 4/16/08-all clear!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260