Next Thread
Print Thread
#66082 09-28-2007 04:30 PM
for2or6 Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi guys,

Well, the pathology report finally came in yesterday after over a week. It had to be sent to the med center lab. I do not have a head/neck recurrence - I have a NEW cancer - this time it is a sarcoma - so very close to where my neck tumor was obliterated by radiation. We caught it early and it is low grade. My head/neck ENT surgeon referred me to a cardiothoracic surgeon whom I met with today. I will have a MRI on Oct. 9th so he can more clearly see just what this thing is tangled up in. It's in a tough spot to fully remove and is wrapped around the collarbone and is bundled with the nerves, vessels and arteries leading to the shoulder. He doesn't know if he'll be able to remove any or part of it - he doesn't want to ruin my shoulder and arm. He was glad to hear I was left handed and this would affect the right arm. He is contacting my chemo doctor to get that end started. I know absolutely nothing about sarcomas and he told me to stay off the internet! He did say a new, different type of primary cancer was more favorable than a recurrence of the SCC. I was very scared and upset yesterday, but feel somewhat better today. Today was our 23rd wedding anniversary and we did manage to go out and have a very enjoyable dinner and some of the stress of the past 3 weeks has lifted. Wonder if the sarcoma was caused by the radiation therapy? I did read somewhere that could be a possible cause.

Does anybody know anything about sarcomas? I know that topic isn't part of this support board, but figured somebody might know something. The doctor did say I might not be able to complete this semester of school and that really distresses me. I just started back after 25 years and absolutely love it - am getting all the science and math courses required to transfer to a 4-year university to study dietetics - I so want to work with head/neck patients with their unique eating and nutrition issues and don't need a time setback -I'll be 50 before I'm finished as it stands now-so I really don't want to lose this semester or next, but I know when I do chemo, I won't need to be around a lot of people who could be sick. Maybe it will be do-able - for now I'm still going. Had to take an algebra test yesterday 30 minutes after hearing my pathology report. I probably lost my A after that seeing as how my brain went totally void of any thought but cancer.

Well, guess that's all for now - if anybody knows anything about sarcomas, I would appreciate the info. I want to thank everyone for their support and hope it's OK to stay on the board and talk about a different cancer.

Pam

SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV- 2/04 - 40 Rads 1/2 conventional, 1/2 IMRT; 3 chemo treatments consisting of Carboplatin/Taxol/5-FU; Right Radical Neck Dissection
7/04; scans and pathology clear
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Pam,

First thing, of course it's ok to stay on here and talk about sarcoma..........just because it's a different type of cancer, it's still head and neck cancer isn't it?

I'm glad to hear your doc say that at least it's more favorable to have it be a different type of cancer?? That seems to be a positive amidst all the negatives....and we need to dig for those at times.

As far as your school goes, have you talked to them about satellite courses, do they have them? Our local college here does, where the classroom can be viewed in our own living rooms via a camera in the classroom itself. Your able to be "in" class but not really there. I have a few friends that have taken advantage of this when they had babies. Ask about it, if they don't have it, maybe you can forge the way for something new at your school. At the very least, make certain they mark you as withdrawing rather than failing so that it won't affect your GPA or your financial aid if you receive any. I learned this early on with my older girls and their colleges.

I hope that you get good news on the 9th, I'll be at Hopkins but will be sending positive thoughts your way!
Take care,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Pam,
When I was diagnosed as having a lung primary, my first devastating thought was that I would have to 'leave' the board!
But everyone here has continued to make me feel welcome.
I am sorry about your news, but there are some positives in there, hang on to them.
If you feel well enough to attend classes during chemo (I was fine until my last cycle), have you thought of wearing a mask to protect yourself from infection? Someone on here said they'd done it if they ever went out in public.
And if your blood counts(which will be monitored regularly) for neutrophils stay up, you're not as much at risk.
Am thinking of you,

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Pam, Some colleges offer online classes too. You can stay at home away from any possible sick folks and still get your work done.

Actually, I am teaching mostly online at my college since radiation killed my voice badly enough that I can't talk for more than about 40 minutes at a time in the classroom without getting hoarse. My college has won several national awards in terms of its online offerings and education. It's probably too late for this semester, but if you are still having a rough time with your immune system in the Spring and your school doesn't offer what you need online, send me a message through the system here. You could become a distance learner at our college even though it's half the country away from you.

Also, I don't see why you can't talk about sarcoma here. My understanding is they are more common if you have had radiation to the spot so I'm sure you aren't the only person who's had SCC and is now dealing with this. And it's good news that it's more favorable than a SCC recurrence. Hang in there! I'll think of you on the 9th.

Nelie

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

Brenda, I had to chuckle when I read your post, telling Pam about wearing a surgical mask. I'm getting me a big old box of them and am wearing them EVERYWHERE I go after my surgery. If I've learned one thing this go around, it's that my immune system is very compromised and needs my help. So, call me the lady behind the mask!

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23