Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LauraT. Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, it's been about 5 weeks since my treatment ended and Im still having problems with my right ear. It started to feel clogged about the last two weeks for radiation. I was told it was probably hard wax built up from the radiation. So, after dealing with it for a few weeks and it not getting better I tried hard wax removal. This helped some although nothing ever did come out.

A few weeks after that I had consistent fluid draining from my ear. I couldn't sleep on the opposite side because my ear would feel clogged again. Ive been into the ent and he said my eustian tube is probably swollen shut and that there could be fluid behind the ear drum. My ear drum looked pissed off from the radiation. He wanted to have my hearing tested to see if there was any nerve damage from the radiation. I went and seen the audiologist who was pretty sure I had an ear infection and that my ear drum was preferating and sealing back up. So, I had that done and it shows I have significant hearing loss on that side, enough to put me at borderline of needing a hearing aide.

I went back to see the ent, who I didn't end up seeing, instead seen the intern. He said there was no way I had fluid coming from my ear unless Im putting water in my ear....hmmmm lol. Im pouring quarts of water into my ear...so fun! haahaa. He said I could have an mri done to see how much damage I might have had to the nerves going to my ear. And that I didn't have an infection. I also had an mri ordered to see how extensive the nerves are damaged. I then went in for my follow up with the radiologist and he said that I more than likely have fluid behind my ear drum , the eustian tube is swollen shut from the radiation.

Have any of you experienced this? If you have, how long did it take to get better, and did you take or do anything to resolve it? My ear is really annoying and painful at times. I wish the doctors would put their heads together and figure it out and do something to help me with this.

Thanks,
Laura

Laura T T2NOMO Small Salivary Gland Cancer
LauraT. Offline OP
OP Offline

Oops guess I should have previewed this before posting , sorry for repeating some things!

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Laura,
I also had ear problems after radiation. Ears felt clogged/stuffed. Hearing was muffled. Clicking noises in ears all the time. ENT said it was due to effects of radiation on the eustachian tubes, which normally allow equalization of pressure. ENT installed a litte tubein each ear through my eardrum. It helped somewhat equalize the pressure and improved my hearing.

dx 2/13/06. modified radical neck dissection 3/9/06 multiple biopsies of upper airway and direct laryngoscopy. 1 of 47 lymph nodes positive for metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma (lymphoepithelioma). Unknown primary. Finished radiation 5/24/06.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Laura,

Quite a few people have posted here about post-treatment ear problems. Many of them seem to have been what RileyMc described, and they can take awhile to resolve themselves.

I've also had ongoing issues (for years) with hard wax in the side that received the most radiation. (However, it sounds as though your doctors have already addressed that one.)

You mentioned that they did an MRI -- have the results come back yet from that?

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Laura,
Draining from the ear would indicate a ruptured ear drum from the pressure not being able to be relieved through the eustacian tubes. Fluid buildup is quite common post radiation because of damage to the eustacian tubes. You might also have an infection. I would see my ENT over this.

I couldn't tell whether you were kidding or not but you shouldn't be putting water in your ear, or Q-tips.

A ruptured ear drum can result in mid range hearing loss, depending on how it heals up.

Hard wax buildup typically dose not cause pain. Like Cathy, I have hard wax buildup on the side that was radiated, I just have them remove it at every followup visit - no big deal takes a few seconds.

I had ear pain for a month or more post Tx.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
LauraT. Offline OP
OP Offline

I was joking about putting water into my ear! I just found it funny that the intern said that. Thanks for all that responded. Have any of you had an mri to look into nerve damage caused by radiation therapy?

I can't say that I have (about the nerve damage) but you can certainly see the fluid buildup.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

I also have the ear wax problem but it was also somewhat of a problem BEFORE radiation and my ENT's nurse told me it also gets significantly worse with age anyway so who knows why it's so bad. And my ear on the left side(which got more rad)also has had signs of a budding infection a few times since rad and my ENT gives me drops even though he says he wouldn't necessarilly with a patient who hadn't had rad. So it's important to be proactive about ear pain and signs of infection after radiation no matter what.

In your case, Laura, it sounds like you clearly need some treatment, the question is WHAT you need. I would think the ENT would be the one who would know best.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics