Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
#59043 10-12-2006 07:25 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Linda, I hinted stongly to my wife that I wanted to try a cheesburger and then a slice of pizza. I assume that's because in the last 3 months I have watched 1,000,000 burger and pizza commercials!! She came through with the cheeseburger and I sat hoping the next day for my pizza. It didn't come & I didn't say anything because she has done soooo much. Two nights ago one of her employees, Pokey (a story for another Post) showed up at my front door with a slice of pizza from Pappa Johns. When I did eat pizza, my favorite was Pizza Hut's Meatlovers Pan but beggers can't be choosers. I also let it slide that Pokey was on the clock and I wonder where the other pieces of the pizza were since mine wasn't that hot!! To weak to go there. I could taste the sausage, the pepperoni and the red sauce but the melted gooey cheese was disapointing. I also felt really bloated after eating but al least I finally got my pizza. I'll talk to Pokey when I feel stronger.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#59044 10-12-2006 11:13 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Linda,
Good to hear you're doing well. I've pretty much healed burn wise on the face and neck, the inside of the mouth is still pretty raw, but I'm almost off of the sustained release morphine completely, and stepping down on almost all of the breakthrough pain meds.

No taste yet, but I'm hoping for a return soon. I have a fair bit of TMJ-style pain on the opposite side, almost like a pinched nerve sort of pain on occasion. I am undergoing some massage therapy for that next week, hopefully we'll see some improvement there
Take care
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#59045 10-12-2006 04:36 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Tim, it was great to hear from you, and you sound like your doing good! I really hate to answer some of your questions because im going to guess im a rare case(compared to the others i have talked to)I never did take any pain meds while doing radiation or after treatment either. Now im not saying that 1 week after treatment my throat didnt hurt, cause it did, and i had the patch and the codine(breakthrough) ready the whole time during and after but, it just didnt seem that bad enough to take it, let me explain, i had my tonsils taken out before my rad.that is where they found the source is my right one, now that hurt like "hell" i stayed on the pain meds. all the first week, i didnt even wake up unless it was to take more pain medicine ( i have given birth to children and trust me, that didnt even compare, haha. So i cant help you on that question, but the mucous/phlegm OMG that is one of my biggest pain in the butt there is, i hate that alot. I will say it is getting a little better with week 2, but then again, i got thrush back in my mouth so that blew that right out of the water. I have been told that it will last for about 3-4 weeks, i cant wait until that goes away though. I will have to say, im proud of you for still drinking and eating, that is something i cant get myself to do yet...as im sure you have read my post! But i am going to try really hard this next week, and i will report next Tuesday anyother changes going on. Keep in touch and let me know your progress as well. Great talking to you! laugh

#59046 10-12-2006 04:44 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

David, I have to say, i was reading all the post late one night and i came across yours, and i laughed and laughed,(you made my day) that was the funniest thing i have heard...you describe what everyone is thinking i promise you! Its funny how we take eating(tasteing) for granted. It made me feel like a "fat kid" in a candy store!!! You hit it right on the button. It still makes me laugh to think about that cheeseburger laugh i could almost taste it with you describing it, haha, and im soooo glad you got your pizza too! Keep it coming...i love to hear how the food taste to you (cause that is exactly how it is for all of us too) good luck on your next craving!!! Hahaha laugh

#59047 10-12-2006 05:01 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey Wayne, Im sorry to hear about the pain on the opposite side, what did they say that was from? And you said "no taste yet", does that mean you have tried to eat? Wow, im so impressed with everyone that can do that, i have some kind of mental block on eating!!! How long have have you been completed with Radiation? How many treatments did you have? Where was you SCC ? Did you have treatment in Canada? Keep in touch and let me know, if you dont mind me being sooo nosey!!! laugh Hope the therapy works!

#59048 10-12-2006 06:17 PM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Linda,
It's been 3 weeks for me since the last of 30 treatments. I started trying to eat solids within a few days. I never did go to a tube, so I've been drinking all along. My cancer was in my left jaw. I had 17 hours of surgery in June where they removed about 40% of my jaw and rebuilt it with fibula from my leg and a free flap graft from my arm.

I did have all of my treatment at the Tom Baker Cancer Center in Calgary, ALberta. It is a fantastic facility, one of the best in the country. A lot of the surgical procedures they used on me were developed by Doctors at the Tom Baker, and I had a couple of them on my team, so I couldn't have gotten better treatment anywhere.

Interestingly, a man I met during treatment is the CEO of a large U.S. company, and could have been treated anywhere he wanted. He chose the Baker center, which says a lot for it.

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#59049 10-13-2006 01:53 AM

David, Funny what you say about all the food ads on tv. I never realized it until my husbnad pointed it out. He swore 2/3 of all tv ads were for food. He too went for the cheeseburger when he could first eat. Of course, he would also torture himself by watching the Food Network. I finally forbade him to watch it. It just made him so much worse. Sometimes, he would have me get a carry-out of his favorite food and watch me eat it. I thought it was a little weird when he would sniff my food, but if it made him happy...
He finished treatment 7-13 and we have our 3rd checkup today. Always nerve-wracking, but he looks and feels so much better. He eats almost anything he wants now, but I try to keep it healthy. He is back to work and a normal full schedule. I even have him doing his share of the household chores. So, taste and energy and hair and everything else is right around the corner. Don't get too frustrated everyone! Every day you discover a new food that tastes normal, it is like getting a present.

#59050 10-13-2006 02:16 AM

Thanks for the encouragement

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
#59051 10-14-2006 07:00 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Wayne, Sounds tough to me! Wow, and you are doing this good, im so proud of you, i didnt even start to go through what you did, it amazes me all the different places this cancer hits, its really scarey if you think to much about it! I was a minor case and thank my lucky stars everyday. When i found out, i had read alot on where to get treatment and i did read on Canada. I had heard it was a great place "Tom Baker Cancer Center" but as you know im here in Houston, Texas so M.D. Anderson is in my backyard! Which is a great place too. We are lucky to be able to have a place that knows so much about Cancer. I dont know how you ever went without a tube, and you just kept eating and drinking, im impressed!!! laugh

#59052 10-17-2006 05:55 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Today is 3 weeks out of treatment!!! Yipee laugh There has been a few changes, but not much. I do feel better, have more energy. The sore throat, the redness of the skin all gone! Ok i know i have been putting this off, cause i dont want to sound like a total failure, NO I HAVENT EATEN!!! But i will say, i have tried some foods but not many, i have been fighting the good ol' "thrush", which is almost gone AGAIN...(man how many times do i have to look forward to that returning?) So my little goal of eating got pushed back but im here to say, im going to really and truely try this coming week! Oh i have a question for you "been there, done that" people...will my hair in the back of my scalp grow back, if it wasnt directly hit with the radiation? My doc says it will, but what i read on here, some say it wont??? Well thats about all i have to report this week, i really hope everyone is doing great or better, so i will get back to ya'll in another week and let you know if i ever got up enough courage to EAT!!!

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users