Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#58872 09-07-2006 01:52 AM
foulket Offline OP
OP Offline

Has anyone been doing much aiplane travel since carry on water was not allowed? I have gotten a note from my Dr for the oralbalance moisturizing gel which works ok but some days it is just not enough. Anyone using anything else? Thanks.

SCC Stage IV base of tongue Dx 08/04. 8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, Iressa. 33 at diagnosis.
#58873 09-07-2006 04:59 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I'm glad you started this topic. To top it off, I heard on the news that planes are not necessarilly carryuing extra bottled water for passengers and the water from their taps often does not meet EPA cleanliness standards. I don't understand why they can't sell bottled, sealed, water near the gates (after you've been through the security) so so many people don't need to be uncomfortable.

Let us know how the note for oral balance gel works. I was told they are fine with prescription meds but don't like over the counter ones that are liquid or gel, even with a doc's note.

I'm planning on just not flying for a while until this gets straightened out(sigh).

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#58874 09-07-2006 09:09 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I just went through this mess as I traveled to Boston to lecture at a conference at Tufts. I had a DEA Rx for water, stating that I should sip it every few minutes as needed, a letter from my docs ( with contact phone numbers if there ws a question) at MD Anderson Cancer Center explaining what xerostomia is and the problems that it can cause if tissues are not kept moist and none of it helped. I had my water taken away at screening. I bought anouther bottle from an inside the airport, inside the after-screening waiting gate store, and even that was taken away from me before I could board. Luckily I was flying my favorite airline JETBLUE, (also and OCF sponsor), and as soon as I sat down the attendant knew to bring me a bottle of water, (arranged on the phone with the agent when I booked the flight) which they replaced as often as I wanted during the flight. On the way out of the plane hatch as they were saying good bye, they handed me another one to get me to the next store where I could buy one. (This is the way airline travel was 20 years ago, when we were not cattle and they cared about us.) But even a controlled substance DEA Rx was not getting me past the screeners no matter how enthusiastic my arguments.... It sucks. My next try is for an Rx for oral balance liquid, and I will squirt it out of the over the counter bottle and into a brown Rx bottle, and have my drugstore type a label for me.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#58875 09-07-2006 09:15 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

There were some changes announced 9/6/2006 that could help. See http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
Among other things, the TSA is permitting "Up to 4 oz. of essential non-prescription liquid medications including saline solution, eye care products and KY jelly." I would think this could include the liquid stuff like Oasis spray, but gels could still be prohibitted. I really like Brian's idea of having your friendly pharmacist (we all have one by now, don't we?) repackage an OTC product!

Joyce

CG to Tom dx SCC 5/06; right neck lymph nodes removed, dx right tonsil and tonsillectomy 6/06; rad and chemo started 7/06; treatment COMPLETED 9/06 33x rad; Erbitux (8x); Cisplatin (2);
#58876 09-07-2006 11:01 AM

You know, I just looked at that list of prohibited items and it's clear they've thought about very specific needs for people with disabilities like diabetes or being wheelchair bound but not at all for people with dysphagia and xerostomia. Right now, if I was on a long plane flight, I couldn't really eat much while I was in the air--because I'm very limited in what I can swallow and it needs to be liquid. And I couldn't take on board biotene mouthwash although maybe I could take the biotene oral balance liquid (which comes in a 1.5 oz bottle), as long as I had a doctor's note and as long as I had a screener who would beleive it was an essential liquid med even though it isn't mentioned under "including" (but that alone would not get me through a plane flight easily). Brian, Is it possible we could get OCF to contact the TSA about these two things (xerostomia and dysphagia) and how people who suffer from them are affected?

I mean, for screeners running across our needs will be much more rare than the diabetics and wheelchair-bound but that seems like it's even more of an argument for them to know what the issues are and to have a specific list of things that should be allowed (like liquid food if one is dysphagic).

I am truly worrying that these new regs will restrict me from travelling where and when I want (and for me that restricts me on issues related to my job as well) and I'm not happy about it!

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#58877 09-07-2006 04:24 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Brian, I would be willing to do some advocacy in this area, Erik's job is dependant on flying around the country, and he is very worried also. Do any of you have any ideas who I could contact with to begin a push for people with dysphagia and xerostomia. I am looking in the OFC site and elsewhere for more information regarding these issues that I could possible relay to them as well. I will be in contact with our radiation doctor too. Any tidbit of who I can contact would be appreciated.
Jennie

Caregiver to Erik -1st DX 12/22/2005 SCC of Tongue, T3N1M0, hemi-glossectomy,60 nodes removed, carboplatnin,Erbitux, 35Rads.
Reoccurrence T1N0M0 4/14/08-partial glossectomy-16 weeks Erbitux and Taxol-
3rd reoccurrence 5/18/12- partial glossectomy
#58878 09-08-2006 10:41 AM

Ok guys,
We have a reporter doing a piece for the LA times looking for info about how these new air travel rules are going to impact us H&N cancer patients and is it going to effect our air travel. If you want to be heard the time is now. He wants to be emailed at:
[email protected].

See the other thread under air travel for his post.

Let's not pass up an opprotunity to be heard.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#58879 09-08-2006 02:35 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I very frequently - I've had 6 flights since the 18th of August. I'll be flying at least one roundtrip each week - if not 2-3 each week in September and October. I'll post if I find anything different - however, I do have drymouth issues - but not as severe as most of the people who are wondering what they can do. I can tolerate it okay if I have to. I am just posting what I have found so far and if I find out differently - I'll update this thread.

For those who are interested, here is what I have found so far:

I always have in my purse the following items:
A travel size toothpaste,
A nasal inhaler for allergies - labeled with the rx,
An albuterol inhaler - again labeled with the rx,
chapstick,
lip gloss (yes the prohibited kind),
small bottle of lotion that you get from the hotels.

I always get any drink taken away from me in the secruity line. I've had my bag searched by hand twice (some x-ray operators don't flag it for review and some do). They took the toothpaste away today - but didn't see the lotion or the lipgloss - which were in plain view. They did double check the inhalers - but I've been through the lines multiple times when they don't check inside my purse at all.

I think the busier they are - the less they check - they are just too busy to check everyone. And - I also think it depends on where you depart. I left Miami today - and that is where they took the toothpaste - but missed the lotion and lip gloss.

I think also - that if you are a man - traveling alone - who has any resemblance at all to a different nationality - they are going to search your bag or at least really check it on the x-ray machine. Unfortunate - but it is happening.

My advice to anyone traveling - if it is something that you need - but can survive without for a few hours - pack it in the checked bags. If it is something that you'd like on the plane - but could survive without - and if it is replaceable easily and cheaply - put it in your purse or carryon bag and don't mention it - if they find it they'll throw it out - if they don't - they dont'. If there is something that you can't possibly do without, I'd advise that you get a perscription or a pharmacy label if possible and label everything that you can - you have a better chance of being allowed to keep stuff - but no guarantees unless they change in the near future - but I really don't see that happening.

I know I've been very tempted to hide a water bottle in my carryon after I get through security - b/c in most (but not all) airports and terminals - you can purchase drinks after going through security. (If you are traveling out of a small airport / terminal - make sure to check about this before going through security - as it might be a long time before you get your first drink - when it is served on the plane!)...but I have never tried to sneak a bottle on the plane. I know that others would complain if they saw it - and you'd get the flight attendants all worked up and they might actually take action against you for trying - or it might delay your flight or a number of things.

In all - for me it hasn't been horrible. However, like I stated earlier - my dry mouth is no where as severe a many on this site. I have it due to the lingual salivary glands being removed - leaving me with just the parotids - but I didn't have radiation - so I don't have that damage to deal with.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.
#58880 09-08-2006 05:32 PM

KY Jelly!!?!?!? Must be for the "mile high" club.

The terrorists have truly won the war...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#58881 09-09-2006 02:26 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Gary...somehow I just knew you would have a comment about that... In fact I would have been really dissapointed if you hadn`t!

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users