Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
collie Offline OP
OP Offline

My 44 yr son just had neck disection Friday. Everything went extremely well and he is in ICU for 2 days. He looks great, good color,good bp, a little fever first 24. Must wait for biopsy of nodes. We are sooooo fortunate to have cancer center 15 min. from home. The doctors were all terrific but especially the ENT Head/Neck surgeon. What I was looking for (and got) was very very experienced surgeon (been there since 1982) young enough to see well and be strong to go thru surgery. He is also a very small person with very tiny fingers (I liked that too). Seems so dedicated and hard working.

Son had chemo/rad May-June, then this surgery. Got stomach tube right away before radiation and boy are we glad he did. Has kept thru surgery and it has been needed. Soon, tho, he can get it out now. We did not want him to lose any more weight and he didn't; in fact he gained 5 lbs thru rad.

We are so relieved to have come this far with very positive results. Son has amazed us with his good attitude, toughness to get thru it, returning to work within 2 wks after rad (good move - need to get into the mainstream of life as soon as possible) Eating solid foods 1-1/2 wk after rad. He has a wealth of support from family and friends - very important.

Whenever I or my boys have faced a difficult situation my motto is this: "Just get through it" It seems to give us strength. Best regards to all you dear people - Collie

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey Collie, that's great news!Tell him we're all cheering for him. Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Collie,
What wonderful news about your son. I love your motto and agree that it is a positive way to face difficult stuff. Your son sounds like a very tough cookie!
Warm regard,
Charlotte

Caregiver and wife of Tom: SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4. Dx 3/03: multi-drug chemo, IMRT, Tx 9/03, No surgery.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics